Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you agree that "Golden age" of Irish rugby is over?

Options
  • 15-06-2024 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭sxt

All empires come to an end

It probably ended with the first la rochelle loss on 22/05/2022

Some of the Best world players of this generation probably not on the same level as their peak seasons . Sexton, Furlong, van de flier, Ryan etc

The confidence and aura of invisibility ended. The deflating loss in the World cup a few months later felt inevitable

Would you agree that "Golden age" of Irish rugby is over? 126 votes

Yes, The Golden age is over
    54%
    pickarooneyionapaulSkrynesaverdavetheravechubba1984GLaDOSeclipsechaserMICKEYGec18sxtCoDy1TigerbabyJamBurDeeper BlueDaSchmoMacDangerbeardo81Craig DowlingtelmahRuginator 69 votes
    No , we are still in the Golden Age
    45%
    charlesantoAbusesToiletsHermy2smiggycrisco10dunworth1Cessna_PilotPodge_irllisabiscuitmr_edge_to_youExclamation MarcsplashthecashDr. GreenthumbEl VinoMerlinSouthDubbazza1shootermacgDillonb3kabakuyuLostArt 57 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Yes.

Died with retirement of Mike Ross.

Next question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭LostArt

No. We're only getting started.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No, the systems are still there and not to be too subtle about it but we are back to back 6N champions and probably favourites for the next one.

We have lost and are losing some key players but it is clear that both the systems are good and the national coach is fantastic.

I have some concerns about provincial level coaching but that is all solvable. The setup is what makes Irish Rugby works, not some golden age of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

I think it's definitely looking likely. We've had the joy of having some class players, but there getting on in age and whether what's coming behind them is at the level is very debatable.

This was our team ages in the 6 nations game against England and their current age. Huge question marks on our future backline and what it will be at the next World Cup. L

1 Andrew Porter - 28

2 Dan Sheehan - 25

3 Tadhg Furlong - 31

4 Joe McCarthy - 23

5 Tadhg Beirne - 32

6 Peter O’Mahony (Captain) - 34

7 Josh van der Flier - 31

8 Caelan Doris - 26

Backs

9 Jamison Gibson-Park - 32

10 Jack Crowley - 24

11 James Lowe - 31

12 Bundee Aki - 34

13 Robbie Henshaw - 31

14 Calvin Nash - 26

15 Hugo Keenan - 27

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭conquestscarer

There's natural peaks and dips that occur. We won the 6 nations this year but, it was a disappointing club campaign for all the clubs. We will eventually go through a bigger dip but I don't think it's this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

some very successful under 20’s in the last couple of years… hopefully some of them will shine at international level…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Shehal

Glad to see we arent getting too carried away it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Bit of a ridiculous question. In the last 18 months, we've been Six Nations winners twice, U20s Six Nations winners once, Munster have won the URC and Leinster have been in two Champions Cup Finals and agonisingly short of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Shehal

I always remember this in 2022, funnily enough a very similar sort of season, and after the first test in NZL when Ireland got spanked the we were hearing guff like this…and then over the next 2 weeks we win 2 games in NZL and win the series…then the narrative shifts to "have we peaked a year too early"…basically some just want to whinge and be disappointed so will look for any excuse to do so, so it's pointless even trying to reason with them.

This whole "golden age being over" narrative though is something the British media will be all over as they want nothing more than a world where only England & France are at the top and everyone else is looking up in awe at them. Sadly though that's never going to happen as long as Ireland are around 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

James Ryan was certainly never as described on the OP. We will still be there or thereabouts but SA will be strong forever now with their move to Europe, NZ will be strong, France will remain strong, England will eventually get their act together. Australia are basket case. How they're hosting 8 or so matches against the lions is beyond me. Argentina I'm unsure about, they peak and trough. Wales and Scotland don't have any depth or underage strength. Fiji if they were given a decent shot would be dangerous.

So, I can't see us dropping out of top 4 or 5 for a long time so we will remain competitive.

On the club side, we are insulated from the full strength of the french clubs because apart from Toulouse and 1 or 2 others, they prioritise top 14. English clubs will possibly regroup and be stronger with less top flight clubs vying for talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

how many golden ages have we had so far in the last 20 years?

The original died with ROG, Drico Etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭sxt

0, before this current team

This current team is the only team and time when ireland could have genuinely won a World cup with its squad of players.

We didn't win a WC

We have had a number of golden generations in the last few year, clast 20 anyway…..

Why do we think this is the last one?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The noughties team were literally called "the golden generation" and I genuinely believe we had more talented players (well backs anyway) in the noughties than we do now. However we didn't have the depth or the team continuity.

Anyway, I digress. Its been a disappointing season domestically, but Ireland still won the 6Ns title at a canter so no it isn't the end of an era.

That said England will likely be stronger next season and France definitely will be with Dupont and Ntamacak back, but we play both at home. Domestically Leinster need a 10, Munster need some cutting edge in the backs, Ulster need to be properly coached and Connacht should see a lot more of Aki and Hansen next season which should strengthen them, let's see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

The Ireland U20s are stronger than ever before, Ireland are back-to-back 6N champions, they had their least bad RWC of the pro era last year.

There is a trend of the provinces losing knockout games like Ireland lose quarter-finals however (Munster's URC last season aside). That wasn't so pronounced up until five years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭vafankillar

there's one trend i've noticed with irish players. they often burst on to the scene, become known as world class, then deflate and spend the next few years a shadow of the short period of peak performance they once had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think its starting. The talent coming through now is immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭ersatz

Fundamentals are all good for Ireland. I think we've already seen that Ireland's fortunes are not indexed to the provinces and even of Leinster are in decline, which seems clear, Ireland aren't necessarily destined to follow. We won the 6N playing well for maybe half of it in a year when France were brutal and England took us to the cleaners, but we won. SA will tell us whether the Leinster contingent can compartmentalise as needed, though I didn't like seeing the scrum (ex Beirne) get owned by a 3rd tier staffer pack today.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Don’t know if it is over or not..

But the date that you picked for it to end is notably ridiculous..

Surely if anything it would be halftime in the 2023 final? 😜

since May 2022 Ireland have beaten New Zealand in an away tour, won the 2023 grand slam, beaten eventual winners SA Friday at the 2023 World Cup, won the 2024 6 nations, Leinster have qualified for two more champions cup final, Munster have won the URC..

When do you think this golden era started? And what was better about than the above period?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The Golden generation was when Munster nearly won the Heineken Cup a few times, Leinster got to a Celtic League final.....BOD had bleached flowing hair, dated Glenda Gilson, wore hurling gloves and Ireland won the odd triple crown.....

Great times...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The 'golden generation' was given that moniker because it was a group of players that were clearly head and shoulders above anything we'd produced in about 15 years. The 90's were a miserable time for Ireland.

We've been constantly producing great players for about 20 years now. This generation isn't a 'golden one'. It's simply the current one.

I've no doubt we'll see many great players coming through in the next few seasons and those after too.

We ve had great players but zero depth. Great players like o driscol and O'Connell and the bull had to play 80 minutes every week because the replacements weren't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Good lord this is a "go out and touch grass" thread

This is the Golden era because we had 7 or 8 world class players and great strength in depth across nearly every position. Cover for Sexton the exclusion. That is what is needed to win a World cup

Every other generation had only 2 or 3 world class players and was threadbare in cover for every position and had a weak bench because lack of squad depth and the bench was only used only if there was an injury. This has been highlighted in every world cup Ireland has played

This era was different and probably could have won a World cup if they had proper cover for number 10

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Ireland are going for 3 in a row six nations wins which has never been done before. Certainly in a golden age of Irish rugby at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,263 ✭✭✭✭phog

Results wise, yesterday was a bad day for Irish rugby but there's no reason why we can't go ahead and win the 6Ns again, we play England & France at home and we're away to Italy on the last day so we can guess what PD we may need and can plan accordingly

a golden age is a team, not a subs bench

The team with Drico etc was called a golden age at the then

Great players like drico and Sean o brien and o gara and o connell were ahead of their time and the ignition for the current golden time , without them , none of the great coaches at Leinster and Munster and their successes and then Joe smidt successes and the professionalism of the irfu system in that era. They paved the way

This all culminating in this golden era now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They very fact we've gone from "Golden generation" to "golden era" tells you something.

The original Golden Generation of POC/BOD/ROG, it turns out, wasn't some unique phenomenon at all. They were just the harbingers of what was to come. We have had several better teams since then in all honesty and I think culminating in the team that went to the last world cup being our best one yet.

We lost our greatest ever player last year but the same was true back in 2014 and we muddled on through and improved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I think this wave is over. Leinster aren't reaching the highs they should with the talent they have, Munster losing some talent, Connacht being poor this year (granted MH injured for most of it) but Ulster resurgent. I think it will take a season of rebuilding for all four provinces and then we will start to see the wave rise again.

I hope the provinces and national coaches have a strategy for replacing Lowe, Aki, Furlong and others reaching the twilight of their careers.

Edit: just looked back at the age profile list near the start of the thread and I think there needs to be some serious national team preparation for the coming years.

Advertisement