Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss constantly ringing and emailing when I'm out sick

Options
  • 15-06-2024 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭

I've been out sick from work the past year on illness benefit. I see the work Dr every few months. The problem is my boss who won't stop emailing and ringing me. I don't think much of them and don't want to discuss anything personal to them but they are relentless and starting to make things difficult for me.

I send my medical certs in and see the company Dr as requested. Do I have to engage with my boss? I don't want to deal with them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Block his number and email immediately. Then tell your own doctor and the company doctor as soon as you can that your stress levels have increased due to all the unwanted phone calls and emails and you need to be reassessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Managers are encouraged (usually in their hr policies) to do welfare checks when someone is out on sick leave long term. Of course you don't have to answer, that is your choice to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭apache

This person is the HR manager as well. That kinda makes it a bit more tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

That is tricky.

If its public service the typical policy would be something like: call the staff member every 2 weeks to stay in touch, remind them they are valued and needed but we understand they will not be back until they are well enough too. This is encouraged because (apparently) people who are in regular communication with their manager are more likely to return from long term sick leave.

You can reasonably request that another person make these calls if you'd prefer. Unfortunately refusing to take the call could appear negative, ie not willing to engage with manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Deeec

Why don't you just talk to your boss and explain you are still not well enough to return to work. You have been off work for a year, they deserve to know the situation. I'm sure they have employed someone temporarily or have one of your colleagues doing your work - they deserve to know when you are or if you are likely to return.

I honestly cannot understand why won't speak to them if you are genuinely unwell. Not keeping in contact with your employer is poor form. You have to look at it from their point of view aswell. If you want to keep a good relationship with them speak to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Agree, it is in your interest to communicte the situation with them if you want them to keep your job open.

Also depends on how you define "constant" emails and calls, if they are going unanswered, your manager maybe following up till they get an answer.This would be solved by honest transparent communication on what the situation is - e.g. I won't be back anytime soon / might be back in a month or so after dr review etc

If you are answering them and they are contacting you twice a week every week that's excessive

if constant is once a fortnight that's not constant or excessive from a company keeping your job open for you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭blackbox

"Constantly" is very vague…

once an hour?

once a day?

once a week?

once a fortnight?

once a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭apache

Anxiety is part of the reason I am out. I just can't bring myself to talk to them. It's difficult to explain.

But you are right. I'll have to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

you’ve been out sick for a year? And your boss is the issue because he/she is trying to contact you? Ok 👌🏼

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Out of curiosity how long can you be off sick before you can be let go for being unable to do your job. I assume most places have a policy on this. I'd assume part of that policy would be checking in with the company. How often you check in is probably part of a policy also no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

Would you prefer if they let you go, which is possible at this stage (and it wouldn’t be a redundancy)?

If you are stressed by working for them why are you staying with them. Illness benefit lasts a max two years, but that’s not dependant on you staying with this employer.

• Administrators Posts: 13,975 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

An email reply can be easier than a phone conversation. A brief reply outlining you are not up to returning yet but are in regular contact with both your own doctor and the company doctor who are monitoring the situation closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

Some employers give significant illness benefit for the long term. It wouldn't be full pay but would still be far more than state benefits.

It will end though.

There didn't seem to be any improvement from the OP.

Depends on the company. Could go on for years or permanently.

No company will pay permanent sick pay to an employee!!

Usual practice is full pay for a period, half pay for a period, and then no pay.

Some of the multinationals do by choice on a case by case basis.

I'm curious what's the OPs plan here. How does the OP move forward. Where do they want to be in 6 months.

😀getting the job is not enough, you then have to become one of the chosen ones or have a boss/bosses who will push for you to receive such benefits.

Chances are the OP is not in one of these categories but when someone is out sick any potential decrease in income often results in people returning to work when they are not ready.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I agree with this, OP.

From their point of view, they are probably following procedures by keeping in touch regularly with you, and maybe out of genuine concern for you also.

If you're having counselling, maybe discuss it with your counsellor, and then send an email, giving them an update, along the lines suggested above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

They dont really. What happens is they enter you into a sick pay insurance scheme as part of your contract. So you will continue to get paid, typically not full rate, but after a certain period like 3 or 6 months depending on the policy it comes off the insurance not off the company's books.

That is interesting. I have seen different individuals at the same company getting different benefits around sick pay duration. Maybe that was actually down to different individual contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Ye I cant speak for all multinationals obviously but thats how it works in my company. Could well be that different contracts have different parameters/perks but I'm on one of those and it's a very reassuring thing to have. I mean its something you dont ever really think about when you're 30 and sign a contract you just go 'ah yes nice, cool, whatever' but when/if it comes to it its an actual blessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Are you still getting money from them?

Its been a year, so would you take issue at them getting somebody else to do the job? If the role didn't need doing then it would be redundant, so I'm sure you can appreciate that somebody needs to be doing it.

Just curious what your plan is, because it reads like you just want them to leave you alone on sick leave indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Delete

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭coolbeans

. Delete

• Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Yeah, "block your employer" is one of the more bizarre things I've heard recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Ireland has to be one of the worst countries to be an employer or a landlord .Staff don’t come to work and you can’t sack them , A tenant doesn’t pay the rent and you can’t evict them.God forbid you play hard with either cause then you’re at fault

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Many multinationals would have a disability insurance scheme for staff, whereby if you are unable to work permanently, you go on an insurance based payment, maybe half or 2/3rds salary until you read retirement age. Remember David Norris's little arrangement, where he was unfit to be a Trinity professor, and got a disability payment from Trinity, while working as a Trinity senator?

You can do both, once you go through the proper procedures. It is fairly unusual for an employer to continue to pay salary to someone who is unable to work for the long term. It would usually be in the situation where someone is going through cancer treatment or similar, with a reasonable prospect of recovery in the longer term.

Advertisement