Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss constantly ringing and emailing when I'm out sick

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

Perhaps the person/people out for extended sick had taken out some sort of serious illness protection or income continuance cover. None of this is going to help our OP if they won't even engage with their employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

in the public service illness management has likely changed again since my day working there, but changes were apace in my sector. Management wanted engagement from anyone out sick long term, and there was/is a serious illness protocol, but it was quite specific to certain situations and focussed on the likelihood of returning to work.

I had a major colectomy/ileostomy, and before the surgery had a broken foot. Recovering from surgery was difficult because I had e try known complication of it, plus was getting attacks of multiple sclerosis, which at that point was undiagnosed. Therefore I was out sick over about 6 months. In that time period I voluntarily sent in emails to the local HR manager giving updates, and she was always very appreciative of that.

The local section manager where I worked was a narcissistic type, many complaints sent in about her over issues. I was dreading she would appear at the hospital where I was weeks recovering. She didn’t fortunately, I told her I was infectious and couldn’t have visitors, and there was an element of truth in that. There had been a lady out sick, and she was known to park outside the house, and would knock on the door, husband on guard to answer all door knocks. Pretence of caring about her welfare etc. My unwell colleague made a complaint to management after the second drop-by visit, and that manager desisted, but kept asking us all questions, did we know how she was doing, had anyone seen her out and about etc.

Needless to say that behaviour is unacceptable, but regular emails to the relevant manager is reasonable to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

exactly this

our pension scheme includes such a scheme and a few people have had a decade or more on the scheme, zero cost to the company, the insurance company covers the cost and the medical certs etc go to the insurer. I think maybe for a first year it’s the company policy to maintain contact, after that it’s outside their remit.

And the managers concerned are not in contact with the employee.

The payment is not full pay and it also takes into account disability benefits where applicable.

Since signing up for the pension scheme which included this benefit was optional there have occasionally been people NOT covered which weren’t happy that their long term illness wasn’t covered. But that’s insurance for you! No one wants to pay it but if you need it it’s fantasti.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

I meant SW illness benefit.

You may be referencing Income Continuance Protection. Or Public sector which is full pay for six months and half pay for second six months and quarter pay for a time after 1st year. But I don’t think the OP is in the public sector.

I don’t know any private company paying out themselves after a year. You might know one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Homer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

If the OP is a public servant, (which I believe they are going by their previous threads) there is also TRR pay (Temporary Rehabilitation Remuneration) after half pay is exhausted. IIRC its calculated at 37.% of salary.

Advertisement