Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing FTTH Provider

Options
  • 16-06-2024 6:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

probably a dumb question, I currently have Fibre with Eir, all good, that deal expires next year and I'll probably want to change to Virgin 500MB Full Fibre. do they use the same OTN as Eir currently use or do I need an additional one installed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Not a dumb question at all! All the other providers use Eir's network, except VM - so no extra boxes or drilling if you change to Pure, Vodafone, Sky etc. VM is the exception. The majority of VM areas still use copper coax. If your area has been upgraded by VM to fibre, then they will have to go through your wall and mount another box to terminate their fibre separately from eir.

By the way, I find eir pretty good at renewing my contract each year with discounts if I phone them. I always do this 30 days before the contract is up, and ask for their loyalty team, giving them the exact cost of the best competitor offering. I always find them willing to exactly match the previous discount for mobile and TV (costing only €9.99pm each), and they generally give a good discount on the broadband also. However, you have to negotiate by making a phone call. You cant do this online. When you consider the mobile and TV savings, eir are the most competitive for me, especially since they dont charge extra for multiroom TV if you have your own extra Apple TV boxes. Also, be wary of VM's new TV box (which they force fibre customers to take). It is getting terrible reviews because of lack of recording capability etc vs their old hard-disk boxes which were available on their copper coax network.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭RobiePAX

Going with Virgin is usually good only in places where they have monopoly.

Better go with Vodafone, Sky or Pure. Less messing around because same ONT. Or call eir to see at what price they'll recontract you.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

All the other providers don't use eirs cable network, (NBI / SIRO for two examples) and VM traditionaly only used thier own network, but those days are gone.they resell with a few wholesaler now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 samvimes

Definetely leaning towards calling Eir to get a better price in the near year, No interest in more drilling and another ONT, one is enough. thanks for all the comments, very useful information.

Advertisement