Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pollen Forecast Met Eireann

Options
  • 16-06-2024 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

I could set a watch every year that my hay-fever will kick off around the June bank holiday. I'm surprised to see Met Eireann very slow off the mark with their forecasts of Moderate all last week and next! This is peak season and the pollen is high or very high almost daily ( in between showers )

As naming storm fans have noted there's been a change in operations since Evelyn retired and here's yet another example!! Sorry Met Eireann but pollen count is always very high in mid June and your forecast is highly inaccurate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Yeah "Moderate" my arse. I was rinsing my nose and eyes for about 20 minutes on Friday after being out for the afternoon.

I wonder is there a more accurate pollen count service online somewhere…

Looking at pollen.ie at the moment, is this any good? A lot more detail than Met Eireann, too much even.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The uk met office is quite good, forecasting high or very high for Northern Ireland next week. The correct forecast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,581 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I have been using Clarityn site as it breaks down the type of pollen.

Based on data from 'Ambee' (?)

https://www.clarityn.ie/pollenforecast

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Many thanks, clarityn is very good anti histamine

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Wouldn't believe met eireann saying it's moderate anyway, I'm destroyed far more than usual.

Happened to be at an unrelated hospital appointment and the consultant took a look at my swollen eyes and prescribed me prescription antihistamines and steroid nasal sprays because she said it's clear otc isn't helping 😂

• Advertisement

Regardless of the pollen count I start taking anti histamines 1st June so I'm not caught off guard and system prep'd for first bad grass pollen day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I find Cetrine to be excellent, half a tab in the morning and I’m sorted for the day, no symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭This is it

I've tried a few antihistamines and while none clear me completely, I find Telfast best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

this time of year pollen forecasts are pointless. I suffer ni matter what they say!.

Cetrizine/Cetrine/Zirtek is useless for me. Telfast is better. But ultimately only Avamas spray truly works. It's bonkers the spray is prescription only. I can buy it otc in Spain for €11. Meanwhile it's €22/€23 here on prescription

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

allergy ireland sorted me without me going for that particular reason

thought I heard recently on radio we still use the sticky tape method here to measure pollen maybe someone on here has a more accurate account or how it’s done for ME

• Advertisement

If you are stuck ask your chemist about OTC flixonase nasal spray.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I've been using Dymista (prescription spray) for the last three years and it's been a massive help. Never perfect, but much better.

The last two weeks have still been a challenge alright. Coupled with some outdoor events.

I take the usual antihistamines, but am skeptical about how much I benefit from them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

is there any table with historical up to date data on pollen and other allergens. I’m trying to help someone see if there’s a pattern for inflammatory lung disease. Thanks

Advertisement