Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone repair Scam

Options
  • 16-06-2024 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

I left my phone into a shop ,to get the pin reset,last week, they reset the pin, my phone would always get 2 days battery life, eg charged 100 per cent, settings /battery = 2 days estimated time .

my phone had a cracked screen, they replaced the screen,.

now i get max 8 hours battery life even in battery super saver mode.

i did not ask them to put in a new screen.

they did a full reset ,all data erased .

A Phone with 8 hours battery life is not much use to me .the phone is 2 years old .

should i go back to the shop and mayeb ask them for a trade in,

eg i just want a android phone with 2 days battery life ,i dont care if its 4 years old .

i do,nt know if this is a scam or its just in competence .

any advice would be appreciated.

i know i can just buy a new phone for 120 euro in shop

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

What phone do you have? Of it's just been reset, it could be busy reinstalling all the apps and updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭galwayguy85

While this won’t answer your question, it be worth learning how to replace the battery (and other components such the screen etc) yourself. iPhone 8-era devices don’t have any serialisation of parts so there is little you can’t do (as far as it concerns Apple)

A small bit of care (not stripping or losing screws etc ) and knowing the right amount pressure to use when unplugging ribbon cable connectors is about as tough as it gets in most cases.

Much newer iPhones are harder to crack on and used serialised parts - in other words the battery that came with it is the only that’ll have 100% functionality. Other batteries (even fron Apple) will have one other arbitrary restriction imposed on it.
    Prickish carry-on from the world’s richest company

Cautionary note, eBay and other cheap batteries are not worth the aggro when it emerges that don’t hold any real charge etc (it’s easy to repackage used lithium and reprogram the battery connectors to report 0 cycles and 100% health).

Spend your money on iFixit batteries instead (and decent tools). The cheap screwdrivers that sometimes come with eBay batteries have very little leverage and will just strip the heads of screws. I’ve walked that mile. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Strange story. Did they charge you for the screen replacement that you never asked for? What is the scam element in the story and why would you consider doing further business with them if they messed your phone up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Wonder if they actually gave you a different phone. One they had in the shop, same model etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,210 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Back in the good old days of replaceable batteries, I left in a newish Nokia at a shop to be sim unlocked. Found out a day later they had taken the relatively new battery out of it and left me with a half dead one.

But can't imagine the same would be worth while these days

Can't think why the battery life would take such a hit unless they also put in a different battery or a bad quality screen that uses more power. I guess if it was a battery issue maybe it could take a day or two to recalibrate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭thereiver

its not app updates ,i charged the phone , i looked at battery settings, it says 6 hours battery life,

this is before i turned on connect to internet.i had it in aeroplane mode all the time to check the battery life .used it to play mp3 podcasts.

its a nokia c22, battery is not removeable.the screen looks normal.

my other phone gets 2.5 days battery life,

but its not compatible with eir network sims .

i just use it in wifi mode. i paid 20 ,euro , they did not even mention the screen repalcement .

i think the person who worked on the phone was not there when i called .

i,.ve had it 3 days, it says 6 to 8 hours battery life .it takes about 3.5 hours to charge.

i think theres very few phones that removeable batterys nowadays ,eg i need a phone that works on the eir network.

if i used it for 2 hours on 4g web browsing it would probably have maybe 1 hours battery life left.

i,ll have to charge it every day .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭con747

Go back to the shop and ask what happened. Why would they only charge you €20 when a new screen costs more than that without the time to fit it and do whatever else you asked them to do. The dots don't join.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭thereiver

i simply asked em to reset the pin no, screen was cracked, i did not mention the screen at all.

as i said the person who fixed the phone was not there when i called back.

i thought they could reset the pin, without deleting all my data, i told them i don,t know the gmail account info. thats all the conversation i had with the phone shop employee.

of course i know anyone can reset the pin just by pressing volume ,power buttons, and it costs nothing to do this

Advertisement