Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

7 seater woes

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

We've a 231 Tiguain that I've had since new, the allspace you are looking at will be the same model or very similar depending on how old you go. Ignore the comments here about VWs and screens, the tiguains infotainment system is perfectly fine and probably not too dissimilar to what you have in the A7 depending on its age. I've an R-line and the haptic buttons on the steering wheel are the only minor annoyance as its easy to brush against them by accident, that aside I have no issues with it. I understand the iD range is more screen oriented though but looks like you're looking at ICE cars anyway so not an issue that should dissuade you from the Allspace Tiguain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mossyb123

We had our 3rd kid 2 months ago and got a citreon grand picasso. It can comfortably fit 3 seats in the 2nd row, allowing us to have the back 2 seats down and giving us huge boot space. Like some of the other van type models mentioned above, they aren't being made anymore so second hand only available! So far so good with it. Loads of space for driver and all passengers. They are at a lower price point than the galaxies and there seems to be more available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Mad_Lad

Most of the VW range is going the same as the ID range of cars.

I'd advise anyone looking to buy a modern VW or any car is to check the infotainment and see how many functions of the car is controlled by the touch screen.

Mostly screen addicted people will say it's great, the same people can't walk on a public footpath without a screen in their face !

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Pauljmeh

Thanks guys for all the feedback, I think we'll broaden our search a little bit over the weekend and try to persuade my wife away from the XC90

She did mention a friend recently went to the north for one, 3 years old and ended up paying something like 15k less than down here as the VRT for a Hybrid was only 5k…surely that can't be right or everyone would be doing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

5008 are mad money but what about a diesel spacetourer? They tend to be very reliable and not expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭mankteln

Any opinions on AMCC up in Dublin? They've some lovely looking low mileage Accords but I've always been wary of Japanese imports (simply through lack of knowledge tbh).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If I was going for a tiguan I'd get one with the old style buttons.. The new one has gone back to physical buttons on the wheel. Much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭passremarkable

we have small 3 kids who need seats and we bought a 5008 last year and very happy with it so far.
    It’s a 2019 and we paid €30k.

My kids are 1,4 & 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭User1998

That garage tends to be very overpriced. Nothing wrong with Jap imports tho. Hondas are built in Japan anyway. No different to a UK import or an Irish Honda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭staples7

We were in a similar position with 3 kids. Went from a Tiguan to a Tiguan all space to a ID4 to a Model Y in the last 3/4 years

Found that the 3rd row of seats isn't a great setup as ultimately you lose most of your boot even with 1 seat down. Leaving useless space in the middle of the 2 kids in the centre seats.

If you can get all 3 kids in centre seats it's by far the best setup. I realise they may not all be iso-fixed but once you get the right seat setup have a professional check it for safety etc.

seems to tick all our boxes, really efficient car with everything we could ask for and huge boot space for bikes, buggy etc.

Again not an option if you don't fancy electric.

I do like Tiguan allspace looks but has to be R-line :)

We used 6-7 seats and no luggage config very often. Hardly used 7 seats with luggage. Then we had a roof box. You can get 7 seats and luggage in something like a Galaxy.

Even in 5 seat mode the square shaped boot was much more useful than an estate, more space and shorter vehicle. Bicycles, double buggies etc. Then with older people, wheelchairs, walkers etc.

We've downsized now and rarely need 5 seats. But I miss the space for DIY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

This just isn't true though, yes the ID range is heavily screen/touch dependent but their new model ICE cars are all moving back to a mix, see the new Tiguain as a prime example.

You are entitled to your view of screens and pointless 'youth of today are screen addicts' comments but that doesn't mean you are right or everyone has to agree with you. You bring up your id3 in half the threads on here, we get it, you don't like the infotainment. Given how much they have sold its fair to say a lot of people don't have any problem with it so lets just let people make up there own minds on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I'm surprised the Renault Grand Scenic isn't getting a mention - well specced, comfortable, spacious, decent diesel engines, safe, economical (5.4l/100km). We're on our third, a 2017 and recent clutch issue aside, it is the best version - however, they discontinued them in 2022 looks like so most recent are 2021 - but nearly all under 30k

In fairness it's brutal. They went to far too fast. But they have ruled back and improved what they are keeping.

As you say some don't mind. Just try before you decide.

The other issues will be with cars with smart systems how long will they get updates to fix things and improve things. Some manufacturers have removed smart systems as they date quickly. Easier to use a phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Had an ID.5 on an extended loan, using Apple Car Play the system was really easy to use, didn't really find it a huge problem compared to the system I had on my Golf

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mikeoc85

I’m also interested in exporting a hybrid and wondering has anyone else done so? I can see cars up north that are roughly €30k and VRT calculations are working out at €5k but the same car with similar mileage is priced at €45k in Dublin.

Surely I’m missing something here?

"given how much they've sold"

Isn't an argument because people have no choice !

If phones are banned infotainment should also, simple, phones were banned for a reason, but too many are indeed heavily addicted to their screens.

It becomes a problem when many of the cars functions have to be accessed through menus.

The apple car play/Android itself isn't a big issue which is what I have now, a small screen that does media and navigation, it's not the focal point of the car and I have normal switches and knobs even manual climate which I prefer and as long as manufacturers make cars like this I don't really care, I do not want technology forced down my throat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I didn't find it a huge issue using the air con etc via the screen, you set a temp for the car and off you go

• Advertisement

The promise of OTA software updates didn't happen on the id range of cars, oh sure, they'll receive some minor updates but the reality is that the cars hardware is already "outdated" so they are permanently stuck on crap software and will not receive major updates, a pure con all this software crap !

Just give me a car that works properly has buttons and knobs and doesn't need all this crap.

Who's to say they won't charge for updates in the future either, once the software door is open it allows manufacturers to do what they want.

They got to make cars for normal people who just want to get in and drive and then cars for the likes of Bjorn on youtube who love touchscreens, playing with car infotainment instead of looking at the road, Bjorn will play with the infotainment and his phone, the amount of miles this idiot must have covered without looking at the road is astonishing, there are many people like him, just can't get enough of the tweaking, even many digital instrument clusters are full of menus and options, it's just nuts.

Even Dacia are getting on the touch screen and digital instrument cluster bandwagon for their Hybrid Jogger, it's as if all hybrids and electric cars have to have all that digital sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Any chance we can get back to the topic at hand lads? Guy is looking for 7 seater advise.

Personally for me you need to decide do you want a proper 7 seater with 3rd row in use all the time or occasional flexibility. If its the former you need boot space which the SUV 7 seaters like the Allspace, Kodiaq, GLB dont have with 3 rows up and you need to be looking at mini vans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭spuddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭jimbobmalones

Hi there

I had to make this decision 18 months ago. Had a Toyota Verso but was coming to the end of

its life (grand car by the way). You said that a 4 year old car has most of its depreciation out of the

way but that hasn't been true for the past few years. Choice I had was between getting a 4 year old

car (Grand scenic or similar) and paying around 30k. I'm not well off enough to pay that much for a car

that may start giving issues shortly after (or may not depending) and many of the cars people recommend

ie Volvos BMW and Merc etc are waay above my means.

At the moment the cheapest 7 seater is the Dacia Jogger and that is around 28k for the mid spec. Next up

is the kodiaq and 5008 etc at nearly 50k.

I ended up going with the jogger and its done what I want it to do. It's actually more comfortable than the verso

it replaced - the back seat is bench and can therefore take three seats across which the kodiaq can't.

To summarise if you are well off then buy whatever you like the most but if you are budget constrained

I think there's a strong case for the Jogger as compared with some other 4- 5 year old car

Hope it goes well whatever you decide

I like the Dacia, but it's like a big estate rather than a MPV. Though it's bigger than it looks. Taller too. Lot of bang for the buck. I like the simplicity of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Father in-law bought a new Jogger last year for ferrying grandkids - he really likes it. For us the rear bench seat, while wide was a minus as it has only 2 isofix - not the end of the world, but a factor if you're chopping and changing. For us that's likely as Brother-in-law has 3 kids - We've nearly 3 and they live over the road so there'll be plenty of collecting and dropping. All depends on your lifestyle and preferences. I will caveat - If your other half is liking an XC90 - then a Jogger will be a very tough sell - however economically sensible it may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Pauljmeh

thank you to everyone that’s written in. Genuinely the feedback has been incredibly helpful… think the Jogger will be a tough sell, despite all the benefits!

I have looked into importing from north a little more and I’m still confused with the hybrids…how is VRT website saying it’s 4/5k to change over, which would make the car 20k cheaper? Surely I’m missing something

As much as I like the Jogger. I think I prefer the SUV/ MPV larger squarer boot.

For plug in hybrids will you actually plug it in from a home charger on a regular basis. Work out your daily mileage Vs battery range to see how often.

Personally I like EVs but....Unless diesel causes you issues, it's still a valid option for a big heavy vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick. Unless your doing a lot of short journeys from cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 cgorzy

I would say with 3 young children it is worth considering buying new slimmer car seats as it may help and also consider the different set up of seats you will need as time passes , rear facing/forward facing. I found having 3 forward facing was the most difficult to fit 3 across. I agree with those who have said having 3 separate and equal size seats that slide individually works best. For practicality a van is best but few in Ireland drive a Berlingo or similar and larger van types may be awkward for parking. Personally I’d say the XC90 has the best seat set up of those listed.

Having an option splitting the kids as far apart when they are fighting was also useful. Especially when older and you can put one In each row air gapped..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭AnswerIs42

Just on the VW Tourans that were mentioned, is there any concern around the 1.4 and 1.5 petrol engines?

I think i might have seen someone say they weren't that reliable??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

Wife and I had a new Tucson with a 3 seater Multimac installed in the back. Our kids are now 6, 4 and 4 and the Multimac will do them for another few years. We have found it brilliant. Its pricey at over 2k but it genuinely meant we could keep our Tucson, have 3 kids comfortable and safely in the back and stil have a a full boot.

https://www.multimac.com/p/multimac_1000_3_seater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭djan

If the Volvo XC90 is the favourite at the moment, maybe have a look at the GLB, while it won't be as plush it could scratch the luxury itch at a much more palatable price. While it is smaller, given that the 6/7 rear seats will be used by kids it should do the job?

They have no glaring issues and maintenance won't be all that much different. Another shout would be for a Kia Sorrento which in the right spec interior is like a budget Land Rover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The GLB is smaller by a size class compared to the XC90. I needed a seven seater, and was planning to trade my model 3 for an EQB (the ev version of the GLB) but on viewing it was tiny with the seven seats up. No luggage space and no space for legs in the third row. We had a seven seat model X before the 3 and that felt like a bus compared to the GLB/EQB.

Ended up keeping the 3 and buying a used XC90, diesel - only because the one I wanted, the 4.4 v8, was sold before I got there!

If buying new, the EX90 (EV version of XC90), looks a phenomenal car. The KIA EV9 was a tank, we test drove it, but they didnt want the Tesla as a trade in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭ec18

the GLB is quite a bit smaller than the xc90 (and most other 7 seat SUVs) it's about the size of a Karol of xc60

My aunt was test driving a GLB and it was too small for her kids, (2,5,8) even with the 7 seats they had more space in their Touraeg

I mentioned that it's smaller but it really depends how often OP is going to use the back seats. The likes of XC90 are great cars but it comes at a hefty premium. Saves the hassle of driving a car that's unnecessarily bigger than needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Mine cost 2.4k for a 2006. We're not going to be using it too much but it has 7 seats when we need it, as well as practical for IKEA etc. We're taking it to france next month for instance.

Next step, I'll be consolidating the 3 and the XC90 into one car, maybe the EV9. Hopefully next year when I can hand back the 3 at the end of the lease. I didnt want a diesel, but it was the only option I could arrange in time for our france trip.

But the GLB is not suitable for anyone who needs 7 seats.

That's great and glad to see your set up works for you but the OP specified a car no older than 2020 so the price difference is quite substantial.

As I said earlier, it depends how often the extra 2 rear seats will be used, often they are just for the occasional friends tagging along or when family visit and the two little ones go in the back. OP's wife seems set on the XC90 and I was just mentioning a potentially useable alternative at a substantial saving.

• Advertisement
Advertisement