Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2024-25 UEFA Champions League

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The way Arsenal are defending they look like they could be real contenders. Real throw back to George Graham's Arsenal. They look really comfortable playing within themselves.

You are right though Atalanta have been impressive as well, plus their fans.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Match Day 1 Results
    BSC Young Boys (SUI) 0 V 3 Aston Villa FC (ENG)
    Juventus (ITA) 3 V 1 PSV Eindhoven (NED)
    AC Milan (ITA) 1 V 3 Liverpool FC (ENG)
    FC Bayern München (GER) 9 V 2 GNK Dinamo (CRO)
    Real Madrid C.F. (ESP) 3 V 1 VfB Stuttgart (GER)
    Sporting Clube de Portugal (POR) 2 V 0 LOSC Lille (FRA)
    AC Sparta Praha (CZE) 3 V 0 FC Salzburg (AUT)
    Bologna FC 1909 (ITA) 0 V 0 FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)
    Celtic FC (SCO) 5 V 1 ŠK Slovan Bratislava (SVK)
    Club Brugge KV (BEL) 0 V 3 Borussia Dortmund (GER)
    Manchester City FC (ENG) 0 V 0 FC Internazionale Milano (ITA)
    Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) 1 V 0 Girona FC (ESP)
    Feyenoord (NED) 0 V 4 Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER)
    FK Crvena zvezda (SRB) 1 V 2 SL Benfica (POR)
    AS Monaco (FRA) 2 V 1 FC Barcelona (ESP)
    Atalanta BC (ITA) 0 V 0 Arsenal FC (ENG)
    Atlético de Madrid (ESP) 2 V 1 RB Leipzig (GER)
    Stade Brestois 29 (FRA) 2 V 1 SK Sturm Graz (AUT)

Table, Yellow Round of 16, Orange Play-off Round, Red knocked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,613 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Celtic have some big games coming up, but expect them to do well. Against the likes of Feyenoord and Atlei in recent years, attacked and were often the better team. It could be argued naive, and got picked off, but they haven't got the rub of the green in recent years either.

Wtih a bit of luck, and their attitude of having a go, I wouldn't be surprised if they got to the knock-out rounds. They're definitely due a bit of luck.

Europe has been boring for 20 years in Ireland in a way, without a Celtic run deep into Europe. I remember the euphoria here when they went on a run to the UEFA Cup final. Or Nakamura scoring that free kick against United, a pub full of lads in United jerseys up celebrating. When push comes to shove, as much it's popular to deride Celtic in Ireland these days, if the ball gets rolling and they go deep into Europe, Irish people will row in behind them.

Irish Liverpool and United fans, as much as they'd deny it now, if they met Celtic in a Champions League semi-final for example, and as the game wore on, would row in behind Celtic by the end. Seen it with my own eyes when Nakamura scored that free v United, the pub full of lads in United jerseys exploded. Absolute mania when Celtic beat United, from lads in United jerseys. It's the natural pull and connection with Celtic that we have as a nation, as much as we don't realise it's there anymore

It's been a long time since Ireland and Irish football has had that to get behind on a European stage, would be great to see Celtic have a go again and get somewhere.

Mod: poster was warned for this post

Post edited by DM_7 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

That's not entirely true. There is a sweet spot with every tournament. The Euros started out with 4 teams and then 8 but 16 was the sweet spot. The World Cup was similar. 32 was probably the sweet spot there (if only because the world outside UEFA and CONMEBOL was massively under-represented when it was 24 teams).

I'm not sure when the Champions League was at the right number or the right makeup of teams from each country. It has changed a lot in both over the years but I can't recall them ever getting the mix perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You really do come out with some codswallop!!

If Liverpool play Celtic I absolutely hope we batter Celtic by double digits!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

No, not everyone in this country is in to that republican childishness.

Couldn't care less about the fate of Celtic and the large chunk of RA head fans over here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Didn't think one post could contain so much nonsense- alot of your posts have a real tendency to do that. I sometimes wonder are you trying to be particularly obtuse on purpose or do you actually believe what you say.

Hard to fathom that it could be the latter when you "speak' for All Liverpool and United fans.

Your posts can be as comical as they are delusional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Just putting this in here now, so we will all know why certain teams who are tied in the table are ordered in a certain way, and one finishes 24th and the other 25th! This is how the positions, for ties, will be resolved, in order

a. Superior goal difference in the league phase

b. Higher number of goals scored in the league phase

c. Higher number of away goals scored in the league phase

d. Higher number of wins in the league phase

e. Higher number of away wins in the league phase

f. Higher number of points obtained collectively by league phase opponents

g. Superior collective goal difference of league phase opponents

h. Higher number of goals scored collectively by league phase opponents

i. Lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received by players and team officials in all league phase matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points)

j. Higher club coefficient

I saw Hansi Flick getting a yellow yesterday, and also Casado, when the penalty was awarded and then cancelled by VAR. They were two of Barcelona's 4 bookings. Would be interesting if that cost them later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

tbh I think your perspective on how non-Celtic-specific Irish fans feel about Celtic is about 20 years out of date.

You’ve made this Celtic point before and been thoroughly and roundly disagreed with. Those days are well gone.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

i have no interest in Scottish football so no interest in Celtic etc, not big into the auld up the Raa sh**e either as Catholic and all as i am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I don't like Celtic at all and the manufactured "Irish connection" all a bit touristy Oirish I feel. Paddywackery type stuff. All very "forced". I never brought into it. Feel no connection to them, they are just another British side as far as I am concerned. And a weak one at that. Europa League more their level.

There are more Japanese lads playing for Celtic than Irish for example. They are a weak side in European terms all huff and puff. Make a lot of noise at home, might win the odd game at home, if lucky. Normally awful away. Very poor technically normally.

As for Celtic's win OK decent win, but let's be honest on the European stage Slovan Bratislava are no great shakes on the European stage, probably one of the weakest in the competition along with Celtic.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod: back to discussing the Champions League please. Nobody needs to justify the clubs they like and talking about clubs you don't like is likely to see you get a warning.

Match Day 2
    Tuesday 1st October
    17:45 Kick-offs

FC Salzburg (AUT) V Stade Brestois 29 (FRA) - Live on TNT Sports 9
    VfB Stuttgart (GER) V AC Sparta Praha (CZE) - Live on Virgin Media Two / TNT Sports 3

20:00 Kick-offs
    Arsenal FC (ENG) V Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) - Live on Premier Sports Ireland / Amazon
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) V AC Milan (ITA) - Live on TNT Sports 5
    Borussia Dortmund (GER) V Celtic FC (SCO) - Live on Virign Media Two / TNT Sports 2
    FC Barcelona (ESP) V BSC Young Boys (SUI) - Live on TNT Sports 6
    FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) V FK Crvena zvezda (SRB) - Live on TNT Sports 7
    PSV Eindhoven (NED) V Sporting Clube de Portugal (POR) - Live on TNT Sports 8
    ŠK Slovan Bratislava (SVK) V Manchester City FC (ENG) - Live on TNT Sports 1

Wednesday 2nd October
    17:45 Kick-offs

FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) V Atalanta BC (ITA) - Live on TNT Sports 3
    Girona FC (ESP) V Feyenoord (NED) - Live on TNT Sports 10

20:00 Kick-offs
    Aston Villa FC (ENG) V FC Bayern München (GER) - Live on TNT Sports 1
    GNK Dinamo (CRO) V AS Monaco (FRA) - Live on TNT Sports 8
    Liverpool FC (ENG) V Bologna FC 1909 (ITA) - Live on RTE Two / Premier Sports Ireland / TNT Sports 2
    LOSC Lille (FRA) V Real Madrid C.F. (ESP) - Live on TNT Sports 5
    RB Leipzig (GER) V Juventus (ITA) - Live on TNT Sports 6
    SK Sturm Graz (AUT) V Club Brugge KV (BEL) - Live on TNT Sports 9
    SL Benfica (POR) V Atlético de Madrid (ESP) - Live on TNT Sports 7

Advertisement