Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling from Carpenterstown to Lucan

Options
  • 17-06-2024 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

Hoping anyone can help me, my company is thinking of renting some office space in Lucan village and I'm looking to cycle there from where I live in Carpenterstown D15, my main thought would be cycling down Rugged Lane, and then onto the R109, only a 17 minute cycle, but the roads are pretty skinny country like roads, no path or shoulder, anyone have any experience cycling them? or any other alternative routes which would be a little safer?

Many thanks in advance for any responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭2011abc

Im not sure what part of Lucan you need to be in .I was assuming somewhere round Main Street .Anyway why not just go past Luttrelstown and then the Garda sports centre and turn right after it for the safest(safer!) quicker route into Lucan coming down the hill that replaced the old Clonee Rd one straight over the bridge into the centre of Lucan .Rugged Lane and especially the greasy downhill with the near U Turn to get onto Strawberry Beds (between Shackleton mill and concrete works)are lethal certainly in Winter .Your proposed route seems to be aimed at getting to somewhere near the Woodies end of Lucan .If going that way you will have to decide between the interminable far longer cyclist /pedestrian track or that apex of adrenaline rushes cycling outbound on the N4 at Liffey valley with the M50 traffic merging from your left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

+1 on suggestion above using Porterstown Road out past Luttrellstown. I cycle that road each day from Phoenix Park to the turn off for Clonsilla and it's a decent road, narrow but surface isn't bad and it was resurfaced from before Clonsilla to the chicane at Strawberry beds a couple of years ago. Just take the lane and don't hog the ditch encouraging motorist to close pass and squeeze by.

Rugged lane gets a lot of traffic particularly in the morning with commuters coming over the Dr Troy bridge and then on towards Strawberry beds so I'd avoid that. It's pretty steep also for the return trip so you'll likely have impatient drivers behind getting frustrated trying all sorts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't think i would like either road in the dark, but agree with the preferences above.

it's not for no reason that there are speedbumps in places on the strawberry beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dmcmahon82

Thanks so much all for the suggestions! I will check these routes out :)

Advertisement