Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Idiot with a leak.

Options
  • 17-06-2024 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭

came home to see water on the floor coming from the press under the sink. Opened the press and saw this loose connection on the right.

I tightened it up as below

but now when I turn the tap on, it’s just pumping out from the piece on the left that is not connected to anything. To my knowledge there was never anything connected to that so I have no idea why it’s going out there rather than down the pipe on the right hand side.

I imagine the solution is really obvious and I am just completely and utterly dense.

Can anyone give me a pointer?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is the u-bend blocked? the water should drain away anyway, there's no reason it should take a route through an upwards facing pip.

perhaps that has always been like that but only manifested as a problem after a blockage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

I wondered this myself. I’ll have to check.

is there a relatively painless way to unblock a u bend? One of those wire things you put down the sink?

You may be able to tell this is not my strong suit. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I assume the pipe on the right that disconnected itself is your dishwasher drain. If your u-bend was severely blocked (right up to the point where the dishwasher enters the drain pipe), then when the dishwasher tries to drain, it would meet the blockage and the pressure could have partially blown the pipe off the connector, spewing the water onto the ground.

When you reconnected it and then turned on the tap, with the blockage still in and above the u-bend, the water from the sink has nowhere to go but out the open pipe on the left (which should not be there is there's no other appliance feeding into the drain pipe).

Open up the u-bend and investigate. Have a bucket/basin under it and plenty of old towels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

easiest was is often to just take off the u-bend. that plastic ring just under where the issue is appearing is basically just a hand tight 'nut' which you should be able to unscrew, and the matching one on the other side of the u-bend.

• Advertisement

I'll give it a go! Thanks again. I knew it was something blindingly obvious but I just couldn't figure out what.

Wish me luck with whatever I find in this **** u-bend 😂

Any update?

sorry I completely forgot to update everyone! I did everything people suggested and it is running great now! Thank you :)

Advertisement