Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specsavers or Vision Express for new prescription? Does it matter?

Options
  • 17-06-2024 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭

I need to get an eye test as I am a new-ish glasses user (2 years) but the optometrist I used was quite old-fashioned and didn't use any of the machines like a Tonometer etc, and performed the entire diagnosis manually.

The prescription seems OK and does relax my eyes for a while, though my eyes do get tired if I leave them on for too long, so I want to get a 2nd opinion in one of the more established places with proper equipment.

Between Specsavers or Vision Express is there much of a difference when it comes to getting a test done, or are both relatively identical?

Do some places have better optometrists, or again all are similar as the machines do the grunt work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Or no different

No replies… I guess this forum is dead, or blind? 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

Specsavers eyetest is quite good, beware the push sell though, they come over worse than Matilda's dad in the movie, I use them for my regular tests but get any perscriptions filled via the UK.

OK but they wouldn't try to sell me something I don't need right?

As in, would they say "this is what you need to see, but if you want to go fancy you can opt for these", or would they say "you need these expensive lenses to see"?

Also, does it matter which Specsavers you go for, or all generally the same?

i.e. my folks go to the one in Blanch center, but there's also one in Clarehall closer to me

actually just checked with my folks, they said Vision Express… apparently saved Mum's eye from Glaucoma via referral 😯

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just be aware that you don't have to buy your glasses from wherever you go for the test. They are obliged to give you your prescription.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭Tow

They will try to sell you new glasses, even if your prescription has not changed much. The staff are paid on a commission basis.

In saying that I use them, but is important to know how they work. The other issue is the buy one get one free on the glasses. This only covers basic lenses, not much good if your lenses are an extra 2/3 hundred euro (per frame) on top of the frame cost. The reality is the frames only cost a few quid to make.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

I have some spare frames, so it would only be lenses I'd need anyway

Advertisement