Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon damage or paint chip?

Options
  • 17-06-2024 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Had my bike resting against a wall, slipped a little and drive side bumped the wall.

Some damage to the chainstay but trying to determine if simply a paint chipping or potential carbon damage? Wasn't a particularly heavy impact at all so hoping it's the former but have no experience with this so any help/advice welcome!

Pictures attached (one zoomed out then two zoomed in fully on each individual chi)(!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Thud

hard to tell, the black paint looks like the base coat the layer under that is either another clear coat or part of the carbon lay up.

Probably need to get it out to Carbon Tech either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Impossible to say by eye.
    You could clean the area and inspect it closely to see if there are any visible cracks. It will be clearer when the white paint residue is removed.
    You could pick away some more paint to see if the damage is confined to the areas shown or if anything has propigated.
    You could ride it cautiously to get some confidence that the strength of the frame hasn’t been compromised.

But ultimately, the only way you’ll know for sure is by having it professionally inspected.

Fierce annoying id imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Ouch. Looks like it got much more than a simple fall, or the finish is very fragile.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭DrumcDub1

I thought the same, can't understand the level of damage done in what seemed like a nothing bump!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Ouch.

Looks like a dramatic paint chip for me but I'd have no confidence in that opinion, you'll probably have to get it checked.

What bike is it? Very delicate paint job by the looks of things. Or you were just very unfortunate. Probably both!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

frame is toast. i'll give you a tenner for it. chopping my own hand off etc etc

Advertisement