Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple Discussions - Bias Showing ?

Options
  • 18-06-2024 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

There is a thread in CA now "Is it time to rein in the far right ?" - there is already a thread covering the same subject "You're looking in the wrong direction, the danger is coming from the right" - and now "Is Ireland racist ?"

Three threads all covering the same hackneyed and tired creation - the "far right".

Yet, the immigration debate was closed down and any discussion of immigration in the "zero refugee" thread leads to bans.

I know the moderation is more left leaning but this is very wrong and shows complete bias.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Did you bring this to the attention of the forum moderators first or is this more about having a go about the, simply risible, idea of “bias” the butthurt right keep whinging about?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Your snide comment aside, the threads have been merged.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's amazing how many complain about bias, both left and right leaning, when things just don't go their particular way on a thread.

• Advertisement

I haven’t posted on any of the new threads - I’m pointing out that immigration of the non/refugee variety has nowhere to be discussed.

Threads have been merged.

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Some beautiful backseat modding by people who know that they’ll never get penalised for it.

Merely pointing out the “point” of the thread has been addressed, J. No moderating, in any seat.

• Advertisement

Twas ever thus … tbh there’s still no reply as to why there isn’t a thread where immigration can be discussed. Discuss it in the refugee thread and a warning will be applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭Shoog

Frankly I am very glad that the constant waves of new recruit right wing agitants are shut down.

There is a constant attempt to turn boards.ie into an extension of the vile ecochamber that is Telegraph and X and it needs resisting.

Good on the moderators for sending these Muppets packing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭nachouser

It's probably worth remembering that the site has one full time employee and the rest are volunteers who give up their time to keep it ticking over. And you all ran one of them out recently.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

jus to be very clear. You have zero idea of my politics and do not assume otherwise

I didn’t mention you by name or in any way by inference so I think this is a little unfair.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You referred to the mods in CA which is certainly unfair as you do not know any of us. If you get sanctioned it is not to do with your politics, it's to do with your behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I'm known to complain about moderation at times myself but what a ridiculous thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,559 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I took this screen shot this afternoon before I even saw this thread because the topic of bias is something I see here being mentioned pretty frequently. And that's even spending a lot less time here than I used to .

At least 3 of the Trending threads are threads specifically promoting Right wing viewpoints.

At least 1 more, possibly 2 have trended in to a dominant display of such viewpoints.

How many of them are started to advocate Left wing views? None would be my opinion.

More and more it seems, (to me) that the conversation on here has dominant right wing participation. I'm not surprised by this, I flagged it probably 4-5 years ago that the public discussion narrative was shifting as people saw the supposed successes of very dominant public right wing voices who marched forward despite the lack of depth in their arguments which failed to stand up to scrutiny (Trump and Farage are 2 of these in particular). This has emboldened scores of very vocal groups and individuals in many places, including Ireland whose arguments could be viewed in the same way.

And as we've seen with them use the accusations of biasness and favoritism (of the media) to counter the fact that their arguments don't hold anything like the water they claim, so too do we see on here. This thread being the latest edition.

What a deeply disturbing point of view.

Which to you scream far right ? The loss of a beloved actor? A child gang raped while having vile slurs hurled at her?? A bizarre ramble about Covid vaccines ?? The fact we’ve a high cost of living ??

Show your work …

• Registered Users Posts: 21,559 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yeah, there's disturbing stuff on here alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This ...and the continuous stream of ' new 'posters espousing fully formed opinions and views about mods, other posters and setting up various threads to further their post count , all with extreme right wing views .

But you cannot say this on threads .

It's almost as if these posters know that they can do this on boards and get away with it until it is eventually called to the attention of the by now under resourced and over worked mods .

Dog whistles going out on Telegram...

Repeated threads about mod bias and other posters ganging up on them and reporting them because "oh poor them, they are the victims " !

Fact is they are turning CA and After hours into a horrible haven for very vile comments and views and a lot of usual boards users are too genteel to report them . And they know it .

So, the answer is no you’ve no explanation just an insult ? Okay. Got it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,242 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Closed at the OP's request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement