Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many hours can you legally work in Ireland over consecutive days?

• 18-06-2024 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi there, I’m sorry if this is in the wrong section. I can’t find the answer to this clearly online. It’s in hospitality.

I’m working 58 hours over the course of 8 consecutive days and I’m wondering is this allowed?

It goes from a Wednesday-Wednesday (8 days in total). Prior to this I worked 7 days straight and I just feel like it’s too much and a fairer spread of days off is possible just not being carried out due to lazy scheduling.

Just wondering if this is normal? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Irish_wolf

You can find the laws regarding working hours and rest periods here:

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/20/enacted/en/print.html

If you've never read a document like this before it can take a while to wrap your head around the legal language but it should be clear.

Here are some relevant sections for you:

Weekly Rest Period 13—

(2) Subject to subsection (3), an employee shall, in each period of 7 days, be granted a rest period of at least 24 consecutive hours; subject to subsections (4) and (6), the time at which that rest period commences shall be such that that period is immediately preceded by a daily rest period.

(3) An employer may, in lieu of granting to an employee in any period of 7 days the first-mentioned rest period in subsection (2), grant to him or her, in the next following period of 7 days, 2 rest periods each of which shall be a period of at least 24 consecutive hours and, subject to subsections (4) and (6)—

So yes if your employer can justify it you can for work more than 7 consecutive days provided they give you 2 full consecutive days off starting after a daily rest period of 11 hours on the day you finish your last shift. So you could work 8 days on straight and finish your last shift at 1pm then and have 2 days starting at midnight that night.

Not a typical way of doing things to be honest, most employers try to give you at least a day off per week to comply with the weekly and daily rest periods but you will get a lot of this kind of weird scheduling in hospitality. It's the only type of job I've had where I literally had to print off sections of that Act and shove it in my manager's face.

Of course there are many provisions, technicalities, and emergency situations that may justify a longer working week but these usually don't apply to someone working in hospitality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭Ted222

Advertisement