Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contra-flow cycle lane - opinions?

Options
  • 18-06-2024 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

I'm just going to throw this image up here from Lower Glanmire Road and ask for thoughts and opinions, from the point of view of either a cyclist or a motorist. Is this a good, safe arrangement of paths, signs and markings? Lower Glanmire Road is one-way, into the distance on this picture, so both lanes are going in the same direction. What way would you cycle across the gap? What would you be doing as a motorist?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ARX

It's the usual dogshit.

1. There is no visual indication of a cycle lane across the gap. It might help slightly if it were painted red. There are no signs visible to motorists emerging from the direction of the Hertz premises to indicate the presence of a cycle lane
    2. As it's a one-way road, motorists emerging from the direction of the Hertz premises will be looking only to the left and not expecting cyclists to come from the right.
    3. If a cyclist travelling in the contra-flow direction has to do an emergency stop in wet conditions due to failure of another road user to yield, the metal cover in the cycle lane is a skid hazard.
    4. In Google Street View, there are two 'DL Supplies' vans parked on double yellow lines and a DPD van parked on the footpath, suggesting that local drivers are not particularly bothered about the law.
    5. As there is a Hertz car & van rental premises there, it may be expected that people will be driving unfamiliar vehicles and paying less attention to the road than they might in familiar vehicles.

To answer your questions:

1. As a cyclist I would be proceeding with extreme caution.
    2. As a driver I would ignore the stop line and the stop sign, and drive onto the area that may or may not be a cycle lane while looking at my phone, then I'd do a quick glance to the left before turning right.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,082 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That cycle lane is a disaster just like all of those on path cycle lanes.

It's completely ignored by pedestrians especially when it's busy after a train has pulled in.

If you don't have some form of step down pedestrians ignore them and if you don't have a step up drivers will ignore them.

As for the road any driver not proceeding with serious caution and stopping before the "paved" are is just a cvnt. It's a very busy junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Paddigol

And people claim that "billions are being spent on cycling lanes"… in reality this is the crap that's thrown up.

Advertisement