Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porsche

Options
  • 18-06-2024 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone notice they seem to be everywhere in Dublin now,

Used to rarely see one now you see 2 or 3 a day ,

Are the cheap these days or whats going on,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Tiger's roaring bai! 🐯

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭BrianD3

100k+ for any new Porsche these days with many of them much more than that. Not surprising that you're seeing them given high Dublin salaries in tech, finance, law etc. + easy finance + consumerism. You'll rarely see one outside of Dublin but they'd be a common sight in the likes of the Kildare Village carpark

I was close to buying a new Boxster or Cayman a few years ago. They were 65-70k then for a six cylinder 2.7 litre engine. Now they're 100-105k for a much worse sounding 4 cylinder, 2.0 litre engine. Kinda regret not buying when I had the chance.

PS - Porsche "jeeps", like similar vehicles from other manufacturers are expensive abominations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've definitely seen an uptick. was out at howth at the weekend and you could barely get away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,472 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d prefer a Mercedes AMG-GT….

but the Porsche’s they are everywhere…wouldn’t be my favourite car. Much prefer the lines and styling of a Mercedes…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

They're mostly rubbish Porsches though. Ugly monster SUVs, abominations! The only real Porsche is the 911 (and some of its descendants). Those Paneramas are horrendous looking yokes. Wouldnt drive it if you gifted me one. Ok I wouldnt turn it down, but I'd sell it the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Tax breaks to buy big heavey yokes yet the lad driving their old eco box gets screwed with high tax and insurance.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Wouldn't buy one if it cost 5,000, it is a company with a very dodgy past, ww2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you're a man with a long memory. do you blame all germans for WWII?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

With the steep rise is prices of all vehicles, the price of particularly the Taycan EV is relatively competitive for those shopping in that market. There is a lot of money in Dublin, and a lot of young well paid IT people like the sporty image of Porsche over BMW/Merc/Audi etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

I get the first gen panemera is not the best looking. But the second gen looks amazing

The Porsche Panemera sport Turismo is one of the best looking cars!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Christ no that's a horrific looking yolk! :D

Not a fan of modern Porsches at all. 911 is still gorgeous though.

The sheer number of people on the roads around Dublin at the moment with shiney, never been off road big SUV type things is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭SVI40

Along with Krupps, Philips, Hugo Boss, IBM, Coke, VW. The list goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I see plenty of the Porsche Cayennes, the SUV.

I find them a weird shape, the upwards slanted nose, makes it look like they're built for amphibious treks.

But it was the way the founder of Porsche screwed over his Jewish co founder that stuck with me, a sly little man and his descendants were the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭SVI40

to be honest, i've never understood the attraction of these cars. or maybe i understand the attraction, but think it's weird. it must be frustrating to buy a car with so much power and speed and barely be able to make use of it; such a waste of money.

my car has a 1.2l engine and can easily go (legally) as fast as any of these cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Dealership is open a good few years now and there’s money in Dublin, not that surprising to see a few around. The Taycan is reasonably priced for what it is imo.

Slightly off topic but I recently saw a brand new Ferrari 296 GTB in Dublin with an Irish 241 reg. As far as I know Ferrari have no dealers on the island north or south so what does he do for servicing? Send it to the UK once a year? Seems a big hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Car preference is subjective, but unless you have driven a Porsche, you may not fully appreciate why people like them so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

my brother in law is on his third or fourth, he's admitted they make no sense unless you get them out on the open road. he has only ever owned ICE ones, though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Charles Hurst probably.

Just leave it in for a service while you're wintering in Barbados I suppose. Only a 30 minute drive from Dublin to Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭yagan

I wonder what the break down in buyers is. Are there a lot of empty nesters with spare cash with a mid life crisis and a childhood fantasy being fulfilled by owning a Porsche?

Or is it more weighted towards debt?

In the past I always thought there were so few because maintenance wouldn't be an issue for someone who could afford one, but with dealership credit are we seeing a lot of buyer going in over their head?

One of our cars that was 18 years old needed to be towed recently and while chatting on the lift home the driver told me that he had the same brand new Porsche on the back of his truck twice in two months needing to be taken back to the dealership with software issues etc..

I'd hate to be that dreamer that that maxed out their credit on one and then had to catch the bus while it's in the garage regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You've clearly never driven anything good. It's not just about speed - given enough time almost any engine will get a vehicle up to motorway speed. A good though car will not be found wanting through corners and will give you confidence that it will go where you tell it to go. It won't let you down when you go to overtake and it will be quiet and comfortable inside.

it's primarily the ones you see around the city i was talking about. anyway, i'm clearly not the target market - i'd regard my 12 yo octavia as superior to a porsche!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oh completely! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

I find a lot of modern car design is just very bland and uninspiring. Porsche's current lineup would fall into that category. Couldn't imagine people wanting to own them as classics in the future for example.

If you can afford a brand new Ferrari, then it wouldn't be a big deal to pay for an expert mechanic to fly over to service it id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's a 30 minute drive if you're driving at 320km/h for the whole journey. Which you could just hit with a 911 Turbo, but not with a Cayenne.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Coke is fine, it's nazi Fanta you should worry about 😀

Advertisement