Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelled Flight question

Options
  • 18-06-2024 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

I had a EI flight cancelled to cork 4 weeks ago from Amsterdam and we were informed at checkin. They re booked me two days later to cork so i changed it to Dublin the following morning.

No hotel was provided or any further assistance by EI.

Question is, Am i entitled to compensation plus the hotel i paid or just to be re-imbursed for the Hotel?

Only reason i ask is if my flight is over 3 hours delayed i get 250 euro regardless of not being out of pocket.

Post edited by Tenger on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Update, its hotel plus 250 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Did they contact you or did you chase them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭pureza

Yes of course you are entitled to claim your hotel expenses,food expenses and your taxi fare AND the monetarry compensation for the cancelation

There is a form on aerlingus to claim this Ec261 compensation where you can upload the invoices you have and make the claim

Its located on this link

https://www.aerlingus.com/legal/regulation/

Post edited by pureza on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Is the compensataion per booking or per passenger on the booking?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,004 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Advertisement

Thanks for this.

I am not immediately clear on this so any assistance appreciated.

They have rebooked us on a later flight (12 hours) that day. While it means a far shorter days on the holiday at least it wont effect the number of nights we have there - that said due to time of arrival we are missing the first day on holiday and may need to book an airport transfer as opposed to public transport.

Is there still an obligation on AL to pay compensation at the rate above even if we accept the change in flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

What was the reason for the cancellation?

If the flight is more than 7 days away,you are not entitled to any compensation as far as I'm aware,when were you supposed to be taking off ?

Also if you accept the change of flight,you are also stuck with that particular one I think

Have a read of this link,it will explain all

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm#cancellation

My reading of that link is different. Flight was due to go this day week (early morning) - we were advised flight was cancelled and a few hours later we were told we've been rebooked on a flight the same day but 12 hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I don't think the same roles apply in country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

if your flight has changed by more than 3hrs within 14 days due to Aer Lingus industrial action you are entitled to compensation; paid per passenger.

You don't have to accept the flight you're given,you can choose one that suits you better if its available

I'm not sure if 7 or 14 days is the cut off,if its the former you'll get nothing but will be able to get any available flight

I'll have a re read now

I know I claimed off EI once 2 years ago for a cancelled flight that was rebooked next day and was paid in full,the compensation and for my hotel etc

Edit,yes its,if you were informed of the cancelation less than 14 days before the flight

Crucial thing is did you get less than 14 days notice ?

If the flight is in 7 days but you were informed 3 weeks ago,you'll get no compensation

Btw,I would argue needing to change your hotel dates or losing a paid for night is a valid expense to put in

It might not be if the hotel booking has 24hr flexibility

We were told today that it was cancelled - so 7 days out.
    Thanks for the info - I'll follow up in the next few days with AL direct.

No idea. The cork - Amsterdam fight was boarding when cancelled and we were cancelled checking in in Amsterdam.

They were very fast with the first claim for the cancelled flight, paid out right away. got an email the same day about the other claim looking for ticket numbers for the 4 hour delay one, re submitted that 2 weeks ago but ive heard nothing since. It only took one week for the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Desertmoon1

We were advised the day before our flight that it was cancelled. Luckily we booked through online travel agent who offered a full refund to cancel the entire holiday which we did. I submitted compensation claim as per EU regulations. How long will I be waiting for compensation does anyone know?

Advertisement