Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol

Options
  • 18-06-2024 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Going away for the weekend to the beyond the pale festival.

I have been on diet last ten weeks so don't want to blow it now. What is the lowest calorie beer / spirt that's save for weekend. I don't plan to drink a lot, but it is a long weekend so impossible to avoid.

Any tips appreciated? hoping to get some healthier food / beer / etc to bring down in car and then while there,

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

Alcohol is a diet killer tbh, it's the alcohol itself along with the way it affects digestion.

That said if you must (and most of us must) then the best option is probably a spirit with a low calorie mixer, light beers aren't very light really but are slightly better than the fully blown jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Gary_dunne

As previous poster said only real bet is a spirit with a zero sugar (calorie) mixer. Clear spirits tend to be lower in cals so vodka/gin over whiskey. Absolut are sponsoring it so vodka should be on offer.

If you're camping and want to bring a few beers I'd recommend just sticking with standard beers as the cal difference in the light ones is not worth it for the poorer taste. For example Rockshore has 106kcals per bottle whereas Rockshore light has 97kcals per bottle.

You could always have shandies with a Sprite Zero if you're not that pushed about just the beer taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 FCTwenteBenson

Echoing the above, vodka and sparkling water would be about as low calorie as you could get, maybe add a splash of lime juice or fresh lime to add some flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Do you have a source for vodka/gin being lower calorie than whiskey?

Ive heard that before, but I have no idea how aging neutral spirit add calories.

My guess it’s a simplification and whiskey is being conflated with liqueurs, or other shorts that alcohol + cream/sugar/etc

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭acceletor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 FCTwenteBenson

Its due to alchol content. For example smirnoff vodka is 37.5% ABV while Jameson is 40% ABV. Alcohol itself is 7 calories per gram so thats where the difference comes in. In practical terms its tiny, maybe 5 - 10 calories difference in a standard shot of Smirnoff compared to Jameson.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Sorry as poster above said it's nothing to do with the spirit itself just the proof of them. It is a negligible difference really if having neat or with a zero cal mixer.

The mixer is really the issue with most spirits, can't imagine people having a slimline tonic with whiskey but is a lot more normal with gin/vodka. It's getting easier now with better quality zero cal options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Some stat I came across was a pint of classic Coke having more calories than a burger.

Last year I often went for Jack Daniels with either Coke Zero or Pepsi Max, and these days I actually dislike the non-zero variants. Can tell when they accidentally serve the wrong type..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I wouldn’t have considered the 10cals from %alcohol to have been significant enough for the way people go on about it. Especially that the effect is lower by the same proportion.

Besides, gin is typically 40% also. So no difference to whiskey. Diet/Zero Coke is pretty common mixer. Whiskey & Diet Coke should be the same as a gin and slimline tonic.

Advertisement