Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan announces he is stepping down as Green Party Leader

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Labour Party leader Ivana Bacik also paid tribute to Mr Ryan's "contribution to public service" during Leaders' Questions.

Don’t worry Ivana, you’ll be following in his footsteps in the not so distant future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Would suspect he's a very decent human being and he himself believes passionately in the various ideas he espouses, but as a minister in charge of Department of the Environment, Climate and Communications; and Department of Transport he was a fruit cake….

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The tone of RTE's coverage of this is as if someone died.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

The frequency, intensity and duration of heatwaves have all been increasing. I don't know exactly when hey began.

Of the 31 hottest days on record in Greece, one is from 1921, one is in 1958, six from the 1970s, nine from 2000-2010, and 13 are from 2020-2023. If you can't spot the trend in that then I really don't know what to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Yes indeed, I did take the time though and as I wrote, no offence meant.

It just doesn't read well and neither does your subsequent reply. I'm sorry you can't take a bit of constructive criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 FlataytoOne

Lookit, to all of you “but the world IS burning read the evidence!” types, some people’s response to that, if you crack through the scepticism, is “ok, then I must end my time on this planet as soon as possible” and will either carry that out or fight back against that ideation by remaining a sceptic.

You won’t reach them. And the rhetoric of panic is harmful.

You’re probably right. But bar authoritarianism the change ain’t happening through everyone stopping the Bad Things all at once.

We turn the ship. That means morons doing the Bad Things even out of spite until they die. But there’ll be less & less of them and they won’t be replaced.

Now can we please stop the “but the planet” distractions & get back to discussing the man letting the Leinster House commute ringing of his bicycle

bell end, Eamon Ryan?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

So youre blaming him for a global economic crisis. And for private companies price gouging. Okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

A trend of heat waves increasing from 1921 to 2024 does not show what you think it shows.

Because, first of all, you have no way of knowing whether this trend can or will reverse itself at any moment.

Second of all, if you believe trends are significant then there may be even greater significance from looking at a wider context of multi-century data from e.g. circa 1200BC (when ancient Greek civillisaton began) to 2024AD - or some range within that range, then extrapolating from whatever trends you detect.*

*I don't know when temperature data in Greece begins, I'm speaking theoretically.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You're dead right! Sure what would them feckin scientists with their facts and their papers know?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and another thread turns into a referendum on whether climate change is real?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Oh I know, George Lee must be in bit's. Who's going to be looking out for the weeds now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭tom23

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

"even the women" Shure they might be getting warm somewhere else, ami right?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I think Eamonn Ryan is a decent man. I wouldn't say the same for Leo Varadkar, Stephen Donnelly, Roderic O Gorman or Aodhan O Riordain. Eamonn Ryan was an idealist and pushed the green policies too far, too fast. I am sick to death of cycle ways ,green ways and carbon taxes . Meanwhile he spent the last 6 months flying all over the World, he was hardly out of a plane! Not a good look.

Agriculture and the environment are on a collision course in this country and the sooner this is faced up to politically the better. It is a hot potato. We can't reduce our carbon footprint and increase our beef and dairy output at the same time, plus having an ever increasing population! This is going to be the same issue for whoever comes next, even if there is no green party!

I am just hugely relieved that their idiot deputy leader Catherine Martin is also stepping back. I was more worried about her than Eamonn Ryan leaving. Good luck to him. It will be interesting to see how he is written into the history books. He wasn't the worst, his heart was in the right place.

Post edited by mykrodot on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sick of green ways? that's a new angle.

All of them will admit that they cannot make confirmed, successful and precise predictions of the future of the earth's climate. Nor predict exactly what the sun is going to do in the future to influence the earth's climate.

Given this uncertainty and inability to predict climate precisely, how can political actors truthfully claim they will be able to exercise micro-control over the earth's climate with policy-driven initiatives? They can't.

The whole issue is much hazier, in practical terms, than how it is presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mykrodot

the amount of destruction they cause to the natural habitats and environment when they are being built is huge. Fields, ditches, trees, hedgegrows, pathways are all torn up to make way for tons of tarmac, fencing and concrete. I am talking about the area around Listowel where I live. I love the greenway in Westport and also Waterford but they need to be constructed in sympathy and harmony with nature, not destroying it in their effort to create something "green" . Its ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

It is like knee-jerk anti-everything populist bingo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

You have to laugh at this lad bemoaning the "narrative" he claims was "formed" between his political regime and rural Ireland, when the "narrative" is solely on the policies he blasted into rural Ireland. This f**ker is a typical gaslighting tyrant, disappointed and whining that the people he set his boot-hell upon didn't worship him for the fact he was doing it. Not surprising when you consider where his ideology comes from, Alliance 90 and their former Stasti cadres whose sole remit was stamping bootheels on literally everyone back where they came from.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

"The biggest climate deniers are the green party" - Lorna Bogue (former green party member) on Virgin tonight show. She's retaliating against another green member, Marc o chasahaigh on the panel who is shaking his head in disgust accusing others of being "climate deniers" as if they said the 'n" or 'c' word, what a clown.

It's no wonder they are going the way of the dinosaurs. Our grandchildren will be burning the turf of Green party members fossils

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Data centers good/ cows bad,,, principles eh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Haha.

Do you know how much 1 nuclear plant would cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A lot of people have regular journeys not conducive to the use of an electric car.

Also If you live in an apartment as one example you will not be using solar to power your apartment..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

So even Green Party members themselves can be denounced by the village-folk as heretics - sorry, I mean 'deniers'.

I don't know if that's funny or sad. Maybe it's both.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Without wanting to come across as overly pendantic, where's the data for Ireland?

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I just read on x that Catherine Martin is currently in Miami, I don't know how true it is but if it is valid then it just proves the hypocrisy of the Green Party again.

In Ryan's case, I always remember him desperate to attend the Cop conference in 2021 held in Glasgow. He didn't like the result of his first covid test, and took a second one that gave him the all clear, and was able to travel to the conference by airplane in the nick of time.

I couldn't take him seriously again after that. Good riddance.

Advertisement