Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's pooing in my garden?

Options
  • 18-06-2024 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

We moved back to the countryside a few months ago and recently something has been leaving giant poos on the lawn. It's got quite a lot of white in it like typical bird poo but it's very very big, easily as big as a medium sized dogs poo. We've no dogs near by so it's not a dog doing it.

I presumed it was a pheasant, but after seeing actual pheasant poo up at the house (we're being tormented by a pheasant who keeps attacking it's reflection at the front and back doors and setting off the house alarm!) now I'm not so sure. The pheasant at the house poos much much smaller than what's being left on the lawn.

We also have lots of hares but it's nothing like hare poo.

Photos… (I wear size 11 runners)

Can anyone confirm this is pheasant droppings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

PS: We're not anywhere near water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Red Fox is my guess

12-25 mm thickness

The colour and smell of red fox scats can be vary widely depending on the season and diet. When feeding on small mammals and carrion in the winter, scats are coloured light grey to black. Whereas they can be red and purplish in the summer and autumn, when foxes are feeding are berries and insects.

However this is pheasant poo - which references the white coating so all depends on size I guess

Pheasant poo is thick, tubular, and all one big mass, like soft-serve ice cream. It is grey-green in colour, but can often be coated in white, which is uric acid.

https://www.discoverwildlife.com/how-to/identify-wildlife/how-to-identify-animal-droppings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Stigura

@Scotty # said: " Can anyone confirm this is pheasant droppings? "

In this case? A nice, cheap Trail Cam ~ under €30.00 ~ will take the guess work out of it 😉

Advertisement