Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Johnny Marr Athy ballroom 25th June

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Stillill42

• Registered Users Posts: 48 MacPint

Best place to park lads? Looks like a nightmare to get out of the venue car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭fluke

If I were you I'd be try park up on the kerb by the industrial estate entrance (Upper William Street).

jaysus where do they think people are gonna park?

• Advertisement

To be fair I agree - I think the communication on the event has been a bit poor. Ticketmaster only put out that notice today as regards the parking.

Yeah. Bit mad. Now, the big question - best pint of Guinness in athy/near the venue or out that side if it? Going to be early

Im in the aforementioned Auld Shebeen and the pint is very tasty.

Don't suppose there's anyone up there yet? Any craic up there? Too early?

• Advertisement

seen a big long queue as we drove past.

any word when Johnny kicks off?

9 I'd say. This is mad. Mad but brilliant. School disco on at the mo. Jyst danced to Madness.

in here now. Mad set up. This will be some hoolie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Ha ha, ah man looks amazing- And I say that with no sense of sarcasm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

https://www.facebook.com/richarddaly1/videos/1144280206827892/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Its very bright in there, could do with dimming lights t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭satguy

The age profile of the crowd !!

Not a Swifty in sight..

Gig review:

Having seen him three times, knew what to expect. Having said that, best I’ve ever seen him and the band. All in mighty form!. Sound was unbelievable, their sound engineer got it absolutely perfect.

Being selfish did hope for a deviation from the set list in lieu of the circumstances. Alas! Wish he would play cemetery gates or frankly more often.

Crowd fantastic. What an intimate experience. Unique!

I mean I struggle a bit with the solo stuff but to be that close to Johnny **** Marr belting out Bigmouth on a basketball court in Kildare...

Stop me...probably my highlight. Fecking brilliant. And I was never a massive fan of You just haven't earned it yet baby but that was class. All the Smiths stuff amazeballs.

One way or the other, great night, right? Lovely people, no bullshit, brilliant music.

• Advertisement

btw, Jerry fish just strolled in and skipped the entire queue for drinks…I’ll say no more on the man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

That sounds like an incredible night. Saw Morrissey for the first time last year in Vicar Street and it was a brilliant concert. His voice was amazing. Would be incredible if they could reform. But will never happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

A brilliant night, great value for money. And only a short drive from home for me, which is always a bonus. I liked his solo stuff as much as the oldies, highlight for me was Getting Away With It-wow.

He's a great singer and an amazing songwriter.

https://x.com/DrMartinJPower/status/1805843476543615272?t=0i5qRHn3D8xi2_qfBshdpw&s=19

Post edited by The Princess Bride on

Hah, a bit mad to see myself in the beer garden in one of @Stillill42's photos.

A great night. The venue, which I've been in long ago, and it's facilities are pretty old school. It'd be great if the town/facility owners capitalised on the night and tried to do more concerts there.

As someone who has a lot of history with the town, it felt like a special night for all there. Weirdly I couldn't help but feel like it was a bit of a milestone moment.

Post edited by fluke on

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭fillup

In fairness Jerry Fish has earned the right to do so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Was at Limerick last night and on the basis of that got myself a last minute ticket for tonight as I'm only down the road, and boy I'm glad I did.

Last night was fantastic but tonight was next level. Venue, sound ,crowd everything was bang on. That'll be talked about in Athy for a few years I bet.

Agree with the poster above, thought that Getting Away with it was the highlight, absolutely fantastic. I also loved the long guitar in the middle of Generate Generate Generate and Easy Money is a cracking singalong tune. As is Somewhere

As Johnny himself said , kudos to the promoter for making it happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭geographica

Iconic. Right up there with Salford Lads Club.😉

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭martco

Ah that was brilliant! one of the best things I've done in a while

what a happy fun uncomplicated gig that was! ceolchoirm down the halla scoile!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

That was a special night. The 'guests' noted on the tickets were us.

The setlist was pretty much identical to the gig in Limerick, but there was something invisible added for good measure.

Johnny absolutely loved it, he was smiling all night. "is there anyone here who isn't my cousin?" brilliant!

Advertisement