Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2024 - this time it’s personal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

In that instance can any of us have an opinion on anything in the professional space? I've never raced a tour de france therefore do I have any valid opinion on the race? Jose Mourinho nor Arrigo Sacchi were ever professional footballers do they have an opinion on football at that level?

Sport is about opinions, it's what drives the conversation, it's what drives engagement. I played SH but even I can look at a scrum and tell you that Porter is not driving straight or that Ellis Genge is 9/10 the reason the scrum collapses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Probably the most aggressive Cav has been in a run in in years I'd say. imo, more incidents several k out that may warrant a look than the actual sprint!

Absolutely chaotic sprint - it's easy to say Sam doesn't have the positioning, but Mads being behind him at that point says a lot about how messy it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Paddigol

He was, imo. He was coming up nicely with good momentum when there was a bit of messing just in front of him along the right hand barriers. He was passing Cav at that point if I recall correctly. He stalled and looked to switch to the left and surf the wheels there and then the same thing happened.

The other day he was well placed but just got boxed in.

There's a fine line between lack of tactical nous and bad luck… time will tell, but I get a better feeling with Sam this year than I have for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Potential echelons today for stage 6 so hopefully a better watch than stage 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

I thought I’d get to experience that this year but strong teams at our level just put it in the gutter - the lineouts still giving me nightmares 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The sprinter that finishes first takes the glory but guys like Morkov are as much a part of it. Anybody have the time patience and ability to see who cavendishes lead out man has been over the wins he has? Who is the unsung hero in all these wins

• Registered Users Posts: 26,082 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Renshaw was his main man for years if I remember correctly. I think Robbie McEwan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

Sam showing the least interest in the sprint points of any of the main guys there.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Torrey

Why no effort there from Bennett at the intermediate sprint, he was in Pedersens wheel, he may as well have a go ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Why would you bother spaffing energy on an intermediate sprint when you're not in the running? Pedersen is second to Girmay in the green jersey so it's worth his while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Torrey

If he keeps chipping away at the intermediate sprints and gets a few podium finishes he will be well in it,Green jersey is wide open this year plus alot of sprinters might head home early with no finish on CE this year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

But hard to see Mads and Bini going home early, and they'll probably pick up more points on breakaway stages. He did pick up a few points - I'd rather he save it for the final tbh on a sprint stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

As amazing as Cavendish is in terms of his TdF stage wins, sprinting ability, resilience etc., he must be the biggest whinge-bag in the peloton? It appears as if the Commissaires were warning him about riding behind cars after he got dropped by the peloton, and then he spends the next while gesticulating and giving out 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭G1032

Any rider would be giving out if pulled like that ,not just Cav

Personally I love his Zero F**ks Given approach to the spotlight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Its the inconsistency, you tried even 10% of the amount of riding a bumper in the Gorey 3 day without at least progressing through the peloton, and the Comms would throw you out, yesterday there were lads riding on them for 20km.

Thank fcuk there isn't a Eurosport "Cav" drinking game - I'd probably need a new liver after today's coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭G1032

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Nice Chateau

Probably cheaper than a four-bed terraced house in Ranelagh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

5Km to go

Fingers crossed for Bennett

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The most boring stage I’ve ever seen. Watching on and off for the last 120km. Complete masochism

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

about 10th or 12th was he? was that even him. A hard jersey to spot I find

• Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Couldn't follow that sprint at all with the shadows from the trees on the road…

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Dylan Groenewegen wins with the stupid glasses

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Philipsen to be relegated surely for impeding WVA

LOL! I'm giving audio a skip for a couple of days to allow them to calm down. Carlton I can take, he almost parodies himself at times that it's bordering on self-deprecating comedy… but Hatch… sorry but I'd develop a migraine within 5 mins. Hopefully they work it out of their system by Saturday…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Hope so. Not as if anyone else would mind!

Bennett? Saw him looking at the main bunch spring away. Boxed in again?

He seemed to come through that chicane at 800 to go fairly well in about eighth place, think he rubbed shoulders with Groenewegen a couple of times. After that he just seem to go backwards.

• Advertisement

25th place ..

Advertisement