Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2024 - this time it’s personal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

He had a prefect position hitting the 1km drag to the line. Didn't have the legs at all. Much tougher finish there than expected- brilliant victory again from Girmay. And spare a thought for Cocquard- led with 200m to go, crossed the line in 37th position... talk about 'going too early!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,734 ✭✭✭✭dahat

One thing not mentioned was Remco inside the top 10 today.

Also for tomorrow if MDVP fancies it the team car is last in the convoy, could be very significant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Maybe, I won't lie, that Decathlon kit is very hard to pick out despite being different. I thought he was in OK position after switching wheels when his last lead out man pulled off but I really struggled to follow after that. Was looking OK and then all of a sudden, 400m later, I couldn't see him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It was obviously a harder finish than they all thought. Really just philipsen, ackerman and van den berg of the pure sprinters to get up into the top 20. Mad when you think of all the sprinters teams fighting for position!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭csirl

Im beginning to think that SBs years at Decathlon will resemble Nacer Bouhanni's at Cofidis. Just not delivering.

• Advertisement

The Decathlon, FDJ and Israel kits are almost identical from a distance, a blur of blue. And that's before we compare Visma and Bora in the overhead shots. Hard to tell your Kungs from your Gees and your Godons- a bit of a mess

Haven't seen the overhead of the finish but from the front on view it was like watching an A4 sprint finish at the start of the year in Newbridge or at Doreys Forge. Ditch to ditch and no one going anywhere.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ben had a decent chance of a top ten.

The first 4 are a given, the next 6 places are competitive. If he wa supported, he has a bet chance than Carapaz

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I have to watch on the phone most days and the blue with green sleeve is too close to the blue with same sleeve white that IPT has. Also sometimes the green cuff on the points jersey looks like him.

That Skoda points jersey is shte too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

This is quite mad. More, please!

• Advertisement

Fantastic racing; I had fancied Lazkano all along, maybe get me off the bottom of the velogames disaster so far; Sam appears to be going well, up with Yellow Jersey group?

MDVP being pulled around all day in the yellow jersey group & looks a stage winner to me the gap small.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

evenepoel in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Aaaah such a good stage. Hurlings about to start though. Bit of back and forth required

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Healy looking a bit gassed unless he is faking it.

Is it Stuyven to win here? He's surely the man to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

great effort from Stuyven

Movistar really are the stupidest team

• Registered Users Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

3 French stage winners so far, French media will be over the moon

• Registered Users Posts: 38,261 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm delighted to see another French winner. It's been so bad for so long for France.

• Advertisement

Turgis- podium in the classics before now, sat in for most of the day, a brilliant piece of tactical racing and took it well. His career is made now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Doc07

great effort today from Healy, if he wasn’t to win it or Styven, happy to see Turgis win, he was one of the few who had a solo dig earlier

I am very rarely right.

He just couldn’t make it stick though. I thought Vingegaard and Jorgensen should have worked with him to drop Remco.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Vingegaard did about 100km on Jan Tratnik’s bike, didn’t bother swapping them after puncturing and finished on it. Fair play to him considering the chasing he did on it

Stage 10, Sam is 75/1 with PP.

I'm very tempted given the flat profile with some echelons expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Doesn't seem to be happening for him so far this Tour. That fit split stage looking like the one that got away

Stage 8 was never going to be an A target for him so easy forgive that. Stage 5 he was full of good legs so we could see similar again tomorrow hopefully.

All that being said 75/1 does say alot about his chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I seem to default into defending Jonas, but Remco being a bit of nobhead about "balls". Easy to have balls when you're essentially solo (Landa zero help on that), whereas expecting Jonas to ride away from WvA, Laporte and Jorgenson. Zero in it for Jonas to pull there, and then to be dropped by Pog and/ or Remco further on on the flat when pure and aero watts matter more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Yeah, Jonas was 100% right with his tactics. But still love the attacking verve of Remco and Pog… and you have to see the bright side of Remco venting. Gimme that over SkyBot days of controlled strangulation of excitement any day of the week. Love to see a bit of passion even when it's completely misplaced 😁

I'd say Jonas has banked Remco's outburst in the memory vault… fully expect him to bide his time and put him to the sword in the mountains when the moment is right by way of quid pro quo… maybe even with a sideways glance as he passes as if to say "come on, why aren't you working"!

• Advertisement

They had dropped Remco. It was Pogacar, Jorgensen and Vingegaard in the group.

So not only could he take a place on GC, he had a team mate with him if anything went wrong. There was a huge benefit to working. Jonas didn’t even have to do anything, just order Jorgensen to world with Pogacar.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement