Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else feel ashamed of getting the Covid shots?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The vaccine did play a pivotal role. This is the perfect example of creating the false impression by the selective statement of facts.

We had started to lift restrictions as vaccines rolled out.

Omicron came along with a surge of cases, our hospital system already in the balance… we took extra precautions.

In other countries such as Denmark, restrictions were lifted pre Omicron, and they did not return.

And one of the reasons we got through Omicron without worse consequences, was that the vaccination reduced the number of severe cases.

And the data is unambiguous on the benefits of vaccination (whether first round or boosters) at protecting against severe covid and death, including Omicron strain.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Wrong. Per this post the Omicron strain was naturally much less severe and far more transmissable. It had nothing to do with the vaccine:

The vaccine rollout and covid cert system was a great test of public obedience, I'll give it that much credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

the disturbing part of this is some of these folks are actually parents, which means they in fact are inducing great harm in their kids with this level of bullsh1t, mis and dis information!

Nope, not very convincing is it, when you just state 'wrong', with zero supporting information?

I will provide supporting evidence establishing why your claims are false, with reference to studies comparing the effects of Omicron on vaccinated versus unvaccinated people.

But first, let's establish that you agree that the early strains of covid were severe with serious consequences in terms of hospital admisssions? Or are your claims about Omicron a bad faith argument?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

On behalf of my Aunt who suffocated to death 4 years ago and was by no means, as one anti vaxxer put it, "on the way out anyway". I do not regret reducing the risk other families had to go through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Take 5 minutes and read up on the False Claims Act and which institutions pay the biggest fines

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Similarly to your extremely selective timeline I have a similar one.

15:00: I threw bread out the back garden for the birds in Dublin

15:01: A car crash occurred in Wicklow

Therefore if I hadn't thrown the bread out the crash wouldn't have occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Hi Markus,

Genuine question here: do you believe the earth is flat?

I only ask because I think i've seen you post as much of other forums. I want to figure out how much creedence to put into your opinion on this subjetct based upon your general beleifs.

Thanks.

You admitted it in this very post, again.

You can move the goalposts and link dump all you want. But the fact is, you made a claim that AZ removed their vaccine because it wasn't effective. When quized on it, you backtracked and said it was because of clotting.

Your initial claim was a lie. And your subsequent claim was also a lie.

You were caught out and exposed. Now stop crying about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Frumy

No I didn't.

So you are lying about me lying again which is gas.

My subsequent claim is a lie? You do know Astra Zeneca have admitted to in court the vaccine can blood clot there is literally thousands and thousands of articles online about It post them only you'd accuse me of 'link dumping'

Crying? Yes I'm balling here how did you know? I think I was right earlier when I strongly suspected you are a teenager. Your immaturity and hypocrisy beggars belief.

So what if I said they said it's ineffective you sure are getting some mileage out of that and I did correct it and I keep asking you over and over and over this question which you refuse to answer. I know you are an extreme coward and refuse to answer anything that requires any sort of looking at themselves that's fair enough but for old times sake I'll ask for fifth time now.

How is something being ineffective worse than something causing people blood clots?

Why would you would rather suffer blood clots than a vaccine doing nothing to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Here's some back of a beer mat sums….we are told around 3k people died of covid in Ireland in 2020. If you take a very generous IFR of 0.5% (it was actually way lower than this), that means there were at least 600k cases in Ireland in 2020, this is likely a massive, massive underestimate, halve the IFR (more realistic) and you have 1.2m cases. Remember alot of the people who died were in nursing homes and hospitals, ie not on the move, so people who were moving around were more likely to be infected. So before any vaccine was rolled out there was massive swathes of the population who had immunity to the virus, this is what blunted covid, people got immunity covid evolved to become less deadly but more transmissable. If you are a big proponent of vaccines, you simply cannot deny this scenario because you cannot have a vaccine without the body being capable of an immune response. Ergo no immunity from infection, no vaccine.

What always troubled me was why there was never an establishment of who had already had the virus and had a level of immunity, pre-vaccine. An antibody test would have established this, this would have established people who were lower risk who could have cared for vulnerable people-if that was really the goal.

But of course if people already knew this then the roll out would have been less 'successful'….in that the only metric that mattered seemed to be vaccine uptake. Remember Vaccine uptake figures replaced case figures after a certain point. It no longer mattered who got sick or died, it mattered who got jabbed to contribute to the Vaccine Olympics we partaking in.

A key metric in the whole thing is how many people jabbed their kids….not very many, because in their heart of hearts they knew something was majorly off.

A gish gallop of multiple statements of certain fact without foundation. That's the danger of beer mat sums, you can get things completely wrong. And why would we rely on beer mat sums, when instead we have the decisions of every major health authority in the world to rely on?

You can just as easily argue people in nursing homes more likely to be infected, living in shared accomodation and often requiring medical services.

Sweden for example looked at what the level of immunity was, antibodies, pre-vaccines, and that was in a society far more open than ours. The prevalence rate was less than 20% (as evidenced below).

Therefore the statement that "there was massive swathes of the population who had immunity to the virus, this is what blunted covid" is demonstrably false.

https://www.rsm.ac.uk/media-releases/2020/covid-19-herd-immunity-in-sweden-fails-to-materialise/

https://www.reuters.com/article/world/fact-check-sweden-has-not-achieved-herd-immunity-is-not-proof-that-lockdowns-a-idUSKBN28C2QR/#:~:text=Even%20if%20%E2%80%9Cunofficial%E2%80%9D%20infections%20were,infected%20to%20achieve%20herd%20immunity.

Stop crying bro. You've been caught.

As I said, if you have any questions about claims i've made, i'm happy to answer.

Hey man,

As I said before I will answer any questions about any claims I have made.

Cheers dude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭ericzeking

So 20% prevalence is in the ballpark of 600k-1.2m cases in Ireland, so my beer mat sums aint all that bad. Would this also indicate the Swedish no lockdown model was at least comparable to our strict lockdown model, interesting thought eh? Were you big on lockdowns yourself?

Also, a 20% prevalence with an open society may indicate it was not quite so transmissable or perhaps there was some cross immunity from other coronaviruses stunting the spread/effect?…..these are probably thought processes you won't allow yourself to engage in.

#withoutfoundation

Or it suggests that in Sweden there was a lot of voluntary adherence to restrictions, and also advantages such as low population density and high number of single person dwellings. This can be seen in statistics such as drop in spending, visits to hospitality, reduced traffic movements in Sweden. We should mention in the context of this thread that Sweden were in the forefront of vaccination rollout too.

I think we needed mandated restrictions here, because I doubt we would have had anything like that level of adherence, especially with UK beside us generating cross border flow.

And way to undercut any possibility of reasoned debate with nonsense like "these are probably thought processes you won't allow yourself to engage in." Self discrediting.

Anyhow your claims, which were without foundation about the vaccine and prior immunity have been comprehensively discredited. So in terms of the context of this thread, they provide zero reason for anyone to "feel ashamed" of getting vaccinated.

…im sure many major brands and corporations?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You've resorted to name calling and putting up silly pictures. Another way of waving a white flag or throwing the towel in. Goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

From memory Omicron was an absolute game changer. The first strains of Covid were very bad - can't remember the names but Delta and Indian come to mind. However everything changed when Omicron swept through. It was much milder and hugely transmissible. Pretty sure it was the one I got after Xmas that year.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I do remember Omicron changing everything very quickly in terms of restrictions. But I recall vaccination for older folks started a lot earlier than May.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Fotish

I think a lot of people are ashamed about being duped into taking the vaccine alright, most people cover up the shame by saying they only took it because they wanted to travel or some such lie.

has any creditable sources actually done a survey on this, or is this just an 'opinion'?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FaganJr

I see very little regret in this thread, thankfully the more sane prevailed again!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As others have said, I had it, have no regrets and have not had a cold (or Covid) since before 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Spiderman0081

I got the jabs and I have absolutely no regret.

The vast vast majority of this thread have said something similar. No regrets.

However, much like during the pandemic, in the direct aftermath of the pandemic and since then, it's the minority who are doing all the shouting and making all the spurious claims. Desperate to be "right".

They all seem to claim to speak for the majority by saying things like "Most people actually regret it but……"

It's the same with many things: these "protests", the anti-immigration goons, the lads turning up to libraries roaring about diddlers, lads in masks outside politicians houses with flags………. just because you are loud, does not mean you are not the tiny-tiny minority. No matter how much you claim to be "the 90%".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

No regrets. No long covid either. The more is learned about long covid, and post-covid illnesses caused by covid, the worse it is.

Advertisement