Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else feel ashamed of getting the Covid shots?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,082 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Studies established that after covid infection all cause mortality risk was raised sigjificantly. This will factor into subsequent mortality rates.

Such deaths occurring months later would not be counted as covid deaths.

ThIs included data sets pre vaccine rollout.

OF course the anti vax package tends also to come with covid denialism (just the flu) and long covid denialism.

"People infected with SARS-COV-2 had more than three times the risk of dying over the following year compared with those who remained uninfected (aHR 3·1, 95%CI 2·9-3·3). Short-term mortality (up to 5 weeks post-infection) was significantly higher among COVID-19 group (1623·0/10 000) than in the reference group (118/10 000). For COVID-19 cases aged 60 years or older, increased mortality persisted until the end of the first year after infection, and was related to increased risk for cardiovascular (aHR 2·1, 95%CI 1·8-2·3), cancer (aHR 1·5, 95%CI 1·2-1·9), respiratory system diseases (aHR 1·9, 95%CI 1·2-3·0), and other causes of death (aHR 1·8, 95%CI 1·4-2·2)."

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanepe/article/PIIS2666-7762(22)00087-4/fulltext

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It (the virus) doesn't travel on its own but on a droplet that can be stopped/massively reduced by a suitable mask. It's a bit like saying that condoms won't prevent the aids virus getting through because the pores in the sheath are bigger than the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

what a load of sh1te this thread is. Are the people in this photo pretending to be be dead from covid just for the craic?

Did you see the bull dozers in Italy and NY.

Fake news for the 5G nuts??

It’s the same old same old on boards. Some wacko nut job dreams up a conspiracy theory thread.

Starts the thread and then sits back and chuckles at the chaos. Note how little the OP engages, and the recent joining date. And the writing style that matches other OPs with similar conspiracies posted by “different” posters

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You took unrelated facts and came to the wrong conclusion and accused someone of lying at the same time.

Read a book, get educated, stop spreading lies and stop accusing others of lies for areas you are clearly clueless about.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Fotish

Yeah, a dirty germ filled rag across your face will stop you picking up a virus.Jesus wept !

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You are not supposed to share masks.

You were doing it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

probably been said already, but this has been debunked many times, which you probably already know. But keep fighting the good fight 👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Have you spoken to many people who died from Covid to ask if they regret not getting the vaccine? Makes you think…

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭moonage

A lot of people feel right fools for succumbing to the needlecraft and there's a lot of repression going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

No, very happy I got the vaccine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

That was the problem with 95% of the "anti" crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It is a fact that the doctors who discovered the Omnicron variant told the world it was very mild.

It was mild when it got here. (we all know what mild means)

I am telling the truth. You are telling lies.

No, they said it was milder. They were comparing it to other variants. They did not say it was mild in absolute terms. This is mispresentation and misinformation you are spreading, and you accuse others of lies without foundation. All you have is scurrilous medical scaremongering.

This is the data from South Africa, that you ran away from in another reply to you.

On December 14, Discovery Health, South Africa’s largest private health insurance administrator, released data looking at more than 211,000 people who tested positive for COVID-19… The study also looked at hospital admissions in this group, concluding that the risk of hospitalisation among adults diagnosed with COVID-19 was still 29 percent lower than during the country’s first wave last year.

So 29% lower risk of hospitalisation - that is milder but not mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

You're spot on. "Not ending up hospitalized" counts as milder to medical people. Doesn't mean it's "milder" ffs like a layman would think. Covid was really awful for a lot of people who didn't end up in the hospital. And of course, the spectre of Long Covid is pretty darn scary, too.

I knew a lot (6 or more) people that got Omicron and had horrible symptoms, but weren't hospitalized.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

FWIW the two people I know who got hit hardest by covid were both anti vaxxers. One still dealing with long covid which has prevented him from working for several years.

Exactly. "Mild" can still be horrible and debilitating to the sufferer. It just means you didn't need hospital care, and aren't dead.

Nor does it mean in overall impact the disease is "mild".

Should also note from the outset here, the message from HSE etc was that "most cases would be mild".

Which puts the lie to the claims they were spreading 'hysteria'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I just don't get why people insist on spouting the same toxic nonsense years after the pandemic.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

People don't want to believe the world is complex and that both good and bad people can make mistakes. Easier to believe in a stark good/bad divide where bad things don't happen due to random chance even without malice intended.

Etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Shoog

It is my experience that anti-vaxxers are so heavily invested that they cannot help themselves - they are motivated by a drive that normalmpeople cannot comprehend.

It's typically part of a nexus of CT thinking.

I dabbled with anti-vax thinking around the time of the Wakefield revelations and it was one of the biggest regrets of my life. It caused delays in my daughter getting the the cervical cancer jab and for that I can never forgive myself. I learned about critical research and saw the error of my previous logic. I fell for all the same bullshit been promoted here, the straw clutching at obscure studies, the big pharma is out to get you ****. Regret - massive.

one thing which really annoyed me when covid hit was the sheer number of journalists who had to pivot to reporting science, but were clearly not clued in about how to report numbers and stats. the funny thing was i was seeing the exact same mistakes being made by anti-vaxxers long before covid was ever a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Shoog

Shallow research produces shallow conclusions. Also if you draw you talking points from a prepackaged info sheet produced by a handy thinktank - then what can you expect.

Post edited by Shoog on

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Frumy

Which is true it's amazing if people had to gumption to ask their GP did they have these injections what the answer would be. A resounding no. Doctors may be indifferent but they aren't stupid; they knew the risks and wanted to see what this did to patients before going near it themselves. I can gurantee you no one who took these injections had the gumption to ask the person injecting them did they have it themselves. Sadly doctors put money before patient care these days, the hippocratic oath means nothing to them. it's just stupid words on a page; money comes before all else.

Getting €120 an hour or in many cases €60 per injection of a patient. That can work out at a coupe of grand a day. It's interesting to note I think only 2 doctors refused this money in Ireland. The rest of them? Gimme gimme gimme! Very few people especially doctors have any principals at all when a big pile of money is put in front of them. They can't refuse it; Inherent in their nature to be greedy and to hell with their patients when tons of money to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

There are some amount of paranoid nut jobs out there, stating that covid is fake, 5g is killing us all, planes spread chemtrails and airlines are sending planes up to create clouds, the earth is flat.

Probably all Trump supporters too.

Despite the fact no one even mentioned covid being fake or 5g or flat earth or anything not once, you just lump all this crap together in fact

Those are your words no one else's, no one else even mentioned this stuff.

Cloud seeding is actually very very real. You don't believe in weather modification/cloud seeding companies despite the fact there are loads of them? Cloud seeding and cloud bursting has been around for 20 years you aren't up on current affairs it seems or apparently real companies perhaps don't exist? They are made up now? Now who's the paranoid one? : )

Hell there's even a wedding company offering cloud bursting services for bloody wedding days; I don't know if these people are Trump supporters you'd have to ask them. I'm not I think he's an orange eejit but he beats senile sleepy Joe anyday. A bag of cement is more lucid than him.

https://www.oliverstravels.com/cloud-bursting/

Post edited by Frumy on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Cloud seeding is real, that is correct.

It's just comical when you see conspiracy nut jobs on socal media ranting about every plane that flies over, losing their marbles over "poison being sprayed all over us."

And yes I did lump all of those other things in too, because the majority of folks who post several times daily all over social media give out about all of those things, with no substance to back up what they are raving about

Most of them would struggle with simple mathematics, yet are shouting about how " de vaccine is killing everyone, I have proof here from Karen on facebook"

OK but something you admit yourself is real you lump in with conspiracy theories and paranoid nut jobs? Shades of grey to everything pal

not just research; one example i saw several times was the idea of being able to report a (say) drop from 10% to 5% in some measure.

you can say that's a 5% drop, or you can say that's a 50% drop; but it depends on whether you're talking about an absolute or a relative change. as mentioned, i several times saw journalists slipping between the two contexts without explaining (or possibly even realising) they were doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭victor8600

No. My family, including my parents in their 70s, all got the vaccine. The vaccine didn't prevent us from getting COVID eventually, but there were no serious symptoms. On the other hand, 3 of my unvaccinated friends (they got infected before the vaccine was available) suffered 2-3 weeks of flu like symptoms, with the loss of smell and taste. One of them felt very weak for 6 months afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,923 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I hope the irony of saying it was all over nothing yet not being able to shut up about it years later is not lost on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

No one is mentioning this stuff however the vast majority of conspiracy believers are anti vaccine.

Around them orbit contrarians and deniers who are against vaccines for various reasons (anti-science, spite, anti-authority, anti-lockdown, anti-mask, etc), they use pretty much the same arguments but carefully repackage them, often under the guise of "just asking questions".

The vaccines have performed very well against a mutating virus, they are very safe (direct deaths are rare) and we're all pretty much vaccinated. The science supports this, the facts support this. Doesn't matter, there will always be people who are against them for irrational reasons.

Advertisement