Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else feel ashamed of getting the Covid shots?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Didn’t take it so no regrets, with all the slogans keep safe and healthy its so sad to see that the population has got so overweight and sick.

you’d think after a once in 100 year event it would change people’s mindset. The obesity pandemic has gotten worse. Worrying times ahead.

Stay safe..

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

I don't know the fine details and merits of this case - I've just read this article - but -if- Pfizer withheld critical safety information then that is bad. Toyota and some other car companies have gotten stung for similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Saying that everyone who votes republican is a conspiracy theorist is extremely childish. Just as childish to paint every democrat a certain way. Only a person who is less traveled could make such a ridiculous statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Shoog

Qanon is popular among a significant proportion of MAGA voters. There is nothing childish in pointing this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The US Republicans have taken a lurch to the far right (including populism, conspiracies, etc) that doesn't mean that literally every GOP voter is a conspiracy theorist.

Part of that lurch includes unfounded anti-vaccine beliefs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Spiderman0081

• Registered Users Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The diabetes epidemic will also impact a huge amount of people and from a much earlier age. The sugar intake is off the charts over the last 10 years. 1 in 9 people in UK have prediabetes. Most don't know.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Terrier2023

normal person who has time to join the dots and see and think for them selves. Normal person who can view the big picture & learn from mistakes like Sweden & Germany & the UK we are all sleep walking in to disaster on many levels. Far right is juist a slur a grandmother worried for the d=safety of her grand daughter on the street walking to school or in the playground is slurred with being far right its an empty term. Sticks & stones remember the saying, names will never hurt !!

No one will admit to being ashamed for being un questioning & gullible and following the crowd, the ego cant admit its stupidity & failure so you will not get much support. But questioning your actions and being aware now is already brilliant & dont accept it un questionably again, as again will be here for a second time. God bless your enlightening !

• Advertisement

why? why are such concerns gibberish answer that to me thanks

you have no counter argument so lets stop this before you start being nasty. granny has a right to be worried & she is. as would your family so there is no argument .Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Again, as Odyssey pointed out (and was pointed out multiple times in excruciating detail about Omicron) you are misrepresenting data again to twist it to your own ends, as usual (this is by far your first rodeo).

My question, is this because you do not understand the data or because you choose to misrepresent the data. There is no option between them to wiggle through. I am going with the former as I don't believe an educated user would debase themselves this often but you can set the record straight for others. If it's the former, I repeat, educate yourself, if it's the latter, there is no hope for you.

Let's have a little balance all the same. I don't understand why people are getting attacked here so much. We have all moved on like. Most people recognise that Omicron was milder and that restrictions were removed/reduced soon after Omicron swept through. That is how it was reported widely. It was a game changer. Many experts predicted the virus would become more transmissible and less deadly and they were correct. I don't think anyone is suggesting that Covid became harmless when the Omicron variant arrived but it certainly helped. I cant find it now but I think Odyssey said Omicron gave you 25% (?) less chance of hospitalisation and that's fair enough.

Don't take my word for it. Did a quick Google of "omicron milder" and got these 2 links first.

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/5-things-to-know-omicron

So far, Omicron strains have tended to be mostly mild, causing a runny nose, sore throat, and other cold-like symptoms, as opposed to lower respiratory tract symptoms. Experts say that the summer uptick in cases and hospitalizations in 2023 is much lower than COVID-19 spikes in previous years. But people 65 or older or who have a weak immune system are at higher risk of the virus traveling to the lower respiratory tract, causing severe illness. Some people infected with Omicron and its subvariants have still developed severe disease and had to go to the hospital, and some died. For that reason, experts continued to express concerns that a large volume of cases in a particular area could overwhelm medical centers, making it difficult to treat severe cases.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10242243/

Is Omicron really mild? – Comparative analysis of comorbidities and disease outcomes associated with SARS-CoV-2 Omicron (B.1.1.529) and Delta (B.1.617.2) variants.

Conclusion

The study concluded that the newer strains of SARS-CoV-2 have potential of high transmissibility and milder disease for the population by large, however, for patients with comorbidities have a higher proportion of adverse outcomes, irrespective of the variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,077 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The point is the difference between describing it as 'milder' in relation to other variants and 'mild' in absolute terms.

It is a fundamentally different description.

To use 'milder' as the basis for calling it 'mild' is therefore misrepresentation.

And then to use that misrepresentation as the basis for an attack on the Irish government's response, as if the Irish government\authorities deliberately were lying about it, that the Irish government knew it was 'mild' but brought in restrictions in bad faith. For reasons not to do with health concerns, but for social control. I've seen this bad faith argument being made before.

Be in no doubt - it is plainly dog whistling \ code word to support a bad faith argument being made against the Irish government. It is frankly conspiracy theory drivel.

This is not a 'mild' disease, either in terms of impact to individuals or society.

Some people infected with Omicron and its subvariants have still developed severe disease and had to go to the hospital, and some died. For that reason, experts continued to express concerns that a large volume of cases in a particular area could overwhelm medical centers, making it difficult to treat severe cases.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I get that but they are not my words in the links above. Blame Yale and whoever the other lot are 😉

I googled "omicron milder".

Sorry I see you edited your post. I dont understand why you are referring to the govt response or dog-whistling. I never said anything about that. You have lost me.

Ignore - thread stuck, needs extra post to rollover.

In terms of vaccination it has meant increasingly Republicans are more likely to be anti-vaccine, for example a poll in 2020 showed that 44% of Republicans believed a conspiracy that Bill Gates was going to use vaccines to implant people with microchips to monitor them and only 26% correctly identified the story as false (Democrats don't fair quite as bad, but still performed poorly)

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/poll-44-of-republicans-think-bill-gates-to-use-covid-19-vaccine-to-implant-tracking-chip

On a side note, social media has become the main vector of attack, a report in 2021 showed that just 12 sources were responsible for about 65% of online anti-vaccine propaganda and disinformation

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vaccine-disinformation-social-media-center-for-countering-digital-hate-report/

• Advertisement

I didnt say you had.

Read back the thread to where this whole 'mild' angle started. It is conspiracy theory drivel that the Irish gov knew Omicron was mild and still brought in restrictions not for good faith concerns but purely some social control power trip. Its a dog whistling version of the lockdown 4 ever rubbish we heard from the same quarters.

It is based on deliberately misrepresenting the early info from SA, cherry picking that one word and stripping out out all the context to deliberately create a deceptive and false impression.

Your post/ quoted article included the context showing the potential impact that a milder but more transmissible variant of covid could have in hospital cases. This establishes the reasonable basis for the concern re: Omicron and discredits the conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,070 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The tens of thousands of excess deaths since the vaccine rollout is factual, but is it related, no one knows.

Indeed, when Omicron was described as "mild", it meant mild relative to other variants. There's a milder version of Ebola. It "only" kills 1 out of 4 people instead of 9 out of 10.

Semantics are so often the cause. And often deliberately. There was a thread somewhere else on this site which spawned hundreds of posts because one poster interpreted "immunity" in the context of vaccines to mean some sort of "100% invulnerability" rather than increased resistance to the disease.

Since covid hit excess deaths have been spiking, distorting excess death baseline comparisons which makes it difficult to account for background changes in demographics. It is not at all clear what actual excess deaths have occurred as if not age adjusted they are misleading.

It is well established in studies I linked on this thread that there is a significant increase in mortality in the weeks and months post covid infection. And that this effect was observed prior to vaccines being rolled out. This we know.

We have no need to 'just ask questions' about vaccines when the effect of covid and long covid is right in front of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I'd be very slow to blame the excess deaths after the covid years to any given reason. How could any of us know really? Its possible the vaccine played a role its also possible that covid itself is still playing a role but more likely its a multitude of reasons.

So I wouldnt blame the vaccine but maybe what catches up with us now are all the detrimental side effects of the lockdowns and measures and two years of scaring everyone out of their minds. Like suspended elective surgeries and preventive examinations, scans and whatnot. The fact no one wanted to be near a doctor and a hospital for 2 years. The decline in mental health due to the never ending doomsday crisis media chants. The meteoritic rise in living costs, on the back of it increased poverty, homelessness, hopelessness. It all adds up. And the warnings were there. A lot of people said dont make the measures worse then the disease but nobody wanted to hear.

I for one know for a fact my MIL was very badly affected by the covid years. She was already very elderly when it started but she was healthy and fit. Then she didnt leave the house for two years and even after covid she was afraid to do so, she couldn't shake off the covid scare and return to before. And now she no longer can leave the house because all that inactivity made her weak and she's on a bit of downward spiral. It definitely accelerated her decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Misrepresenting Data….you are criticising me for misrepresenting data. What I am doing is quoting the doctors who discovered the variant which tallied with our experience of Omnicron. I have not presented any data because I don't have to, what the doctors who discovered the variant said about how serious the variant was, tallied with our experience of the variant.

Misrepresenting data is what our government did on a daily basis for nearly two years, so I have a a justified reason to question any data presented to us.

1 - Death rate was mispresented (ie, ,people who died from falling out of a tree was a covid death if they managed to extract a positive test from the corpse)

2 Hospitalisations - (ie, stating the number of people who were hospitalized from covid and neglecting to differentiate between genuine hospitalisations and people who caught the virus whilst in hospital, a fairly important distinction)

3 Positive test results (ie, including people who were not sick, had no symptoms but the cycle rate of the PCR test was set to a level that would pick up fragments of a virus that may be weeks or more old)

And you claim to be able to understand the data!!!! give me a break, just because you are condescending and smug doesn't mean you are right.

Now, do not run off like you always do when your lies have been confronted and explain the 3 points that I made, prove it to everyone reading this thread that you "understand the data".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Mine does not and last time i wore a mask he said take it off.

1. In an extreme case a man fell off a ladder, but in the autopsy doctors discovered large parts of his lungs were blocked as a result of acute respiratory distress syndrome with they surmised caused disorientation and his fall. In effect they concluded he died from a ladder fall as a result of Covid
    2. Understandable, can be difficult to determine whether people caught the virus while in hospital during a pandemic
    3. Some people were asymptomatic, they could test positive for Covid but show no symptoms. Likewise tests were not infallible, but results had to be respected (under the circumstances)

We're not an exception, all countries had these stats and measures. In a pandemic not all figures are going to be black/white nor are they going to be exact in every situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

All nonsense.

The hospitalizations numbers would have been very easy to track, we tracked where people picked up the virus outside of hospital settings. If a person arrived at a hospital because of covid a box could be ticked. If a person caught covid in hospital a different box could be ticked. It is a simple process. In fact, you'd have to wonder why it was allowed for the entire period, even a child could grasp what is wrong with that.

What kind of pandemic includes the numbers of people who were never sick?

Isn't it funny how all data pointed to a more exaggerated impact of the virus. Just like the modelling figures.

It's probably why, to this day, there are poor misfortunes who still believe that nearly ten thousand Irish people died from Covid.

When the reality is it is somewhere in the low hundreds. Way more people have been lost in elevated death numbers since covid but know one cares about those people.

You might excuse the health bureaucrats, politicians and media behaviour during those two dark years, but don't expect many of us like me to!

Advertisement