Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else feel ashamed of getting the Covid shots?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Study showing the Covid vaccine reduces the risk of cardiovascular events and strokes.

"

This huge study that included over 46 million people provided strong evidence that the COVID vaccines reduced the risk of various cardiovascular events such as heart attack and stroke. Although this study does not directly address the issue, it is possible that the unvaccinated group was more susceptible to higher risks of these events because of a COVID infection.

"

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000149.htm

A good reason to not regret getting the vaccine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭vswr

so, seen as anecdotal evidence is being taken as gospel here…

I was home recently and down the pub… COVID and the vaccine was still hot topic….

Much like how a Vegan can't help having a conversation without mentioning they're Vegan…. a few guys in the toilets were proclaiming to be "pure bloods"….."vaccine free"…

While queuing up to get their go on the bag in the cubical….

Funnily enough, one of the guys there was treated for myocarditis for excessive Cocaine use…

Anyways… anecdotally… all antivaxers I came across that night correlated to unemployed, government assisted, recreational drug users, with high distrust of authority… there was a lot there that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

That Tennessee shock jock Phil Valentine was insisting that his listeners avoid the vaccine up until a week before his death from Covid complications.

I think if they did a psychological analysis on people like that and others like Marc Bernier (who coined the phrase "SCAM DEMIC" and also died of Covid), they would find a correlation of nasty traits.

Because they had such a huge listenership spouting this rubbish, how many listeners died because of their shows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Most of the people I know that took the vaccine did it for travel. That crowd must have had no Ibiza trips booked.
    I find that the ones who did not fall to the coercion to take the vaccine were the intelligent ones who had a more nuanced view to the new drug. A drug with new technology that was developed tested trialled and approved in around a year. (mind boggling). It took a fair resolve to resist the pressure to conform and take the drug.

Post edited by jsd1004 on

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭moonage

It's difficult to ask people who perished because of the sacred needlecraft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

mRNA tech has been around since the 80's, it was first trialed on people a quarter of a century ago.

There was nothing to "fall for". People were encouraged to take the vaccines for safety (as well as to reduce pressure on hospitals during the pandemic).

The vaccines were exhaustively tested prior to release, 10's of thousands of people were involved in the trial process, conducted according to the standards of international regulators.

You claim not to be against vaccines, okay, but you are producing "anti-vaccine" scare talking points one by one. You know how I know all these tropes so well? Over a decade as a regular on the conspiracy theory forum. Individuals who believe that the world is flat, in chemtrails, that we didn't land on the moon, etc. Almost to a person they are all anti-vaccine. I'll let you put two and two together yourself.

Again, if you personally decided not to take the vaccine due to your age, that's fine, but going down this rabbit hole is not validating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

So 4.5 million people in Ireland took the vaccine so they could go to Ibiza.

Slava Ukrainii

I cant comment on everyone. But yes a lot of people took the vaccine so they could travel. Enter a restaurant. Play sports. etc. The take up in non compulsary boosters is minimal. Make of that as you wish.

Around since the 80's. That old tired troupe.

Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine was the first mRNA product to achieve full FDA approval in the U.S.

Thankfully it seems to not have caused any long term issues that we know of yet. But i'm glad I am not a participant in the long term testing for the drugs companies.

But you said most and specified Ibiza. Did 4.5 million people get vaccines to go on Foreign holidays

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

All sorts of things asserted as fact.

1: You said 'most people I know.' How many? 10? 100? 1000?

2: Take-up is 'low.' Is that due to 'guilt' or to other reasons (like, laziness?)

Don't forget the 50 odd million in the UK too…. Ibiza was hoppin!

Id say you would love a return to the vaccine passports to sort out the laziness. If we get everyone boosted up and force the unvaxxed to get a jab we will nip this Covid in the bud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just like the 91 year old who didnt get vaccinated... remarkable theres always random anonymous people in your claims. And the demographic of who you know changes as needed to serve your argument.

You didn't conduct a poll. There is no foundation to your claims.

A lot of people across all age groups took the vaccine, wanted to get vaccinated nothing to do with needing it for travel or social, were impatient to get vaccinated and concerned about delays.

See how easy to make such arguments when you phrase things as 'a lot of people'?

The main benefits of vaccination were in initial doses. Therefore you can't compare the demand for the initial vaccines with booster demand.
    But even then, your argument falls down… here's queues for people looking for boosters. That is not minimal demand.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/walk-in-booster-vaccine-current-queue-times-and-clinic-locations-1226929.html

The majority of the adult population got the first booster dose, that was not required for travel or activities. So your claim of 'minimal' take up is false.
    According to the CSO: Seventy per cent of Irish-nationality employees had received a first booster.
    Even on subsequent boosters: In Ireland 57.2 per cent of over-80s and 37.8 per cent of over-65s have been administered a third booster.
    That is not 'minimal' take-up.

And also, the vaccines weren't compulsory. Vaccines passes were needed for certain high risk activities. That is not the same thing.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I was always a bit suspicious of that figure of 95% "compliance".

Surely there were more than 5% with a bit of backbone.

You decided not to take the vaccine, okay, that's fine. The end, not sure why it needs to go on from there.

It's the equivalent of someone who acknowledges seatbelts work, then repeatedly states they don't wear a seatbelt - almost as if to provoke a situation where they will be the victim. Of their own stance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Shoog

No the go to response is to say you have said absolutely nothing which would covince anyone to believe your statements. No evidence, no consistency.

No need to insult when your position is terribly weak.

Thats the problem The minute you state you did not take the vaccine for whatever reason, you get labelled an anti-vaxxer. There is no tolerance on this site for any deviation from the norm. I suppose it is to be expected really as the site is dominated by elderly conservative posters who are entrenched in their beliefs.
    If someone choose not to wear a seatbelt for whatever reason I would ask for the reasons and respect their decision. Same as speeding. I would not go labelling them as an anti car safety system fanatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Those who need to tell everyone they didn't get a vaccine and then usually go onto spout antivax buzzwords are usually anti-vax loons with questionable intelligence.

Those who just didn't get the vaccine for whatever reason that isn't antivax related don't go around shouting about it and they certainly don't talk about how intelligent or successful they are to "prove" it was a good choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It is a dead giveaway that someone is an anti-vaxxer when they never challenge any anti vax claims, even ones that go way beyond their own "just asking questions" and even contradict some of their points.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

You aren't wrong, but in my experience when someone comes to a discussion forum and deliberately states they didn't take the vaccine - 9 times out of 10 they start reproducing red flags, anti-vaccine tropes and disinfo and reasoning.

Yes some can react strongly to those kind of stances, but people have died due to anti-vaccine disinfo. Completely fake info that has quite literally killed people. Nurses during the pandemic were recounting that people in ICUs were dying whilst claiming the disease and pandemic were "fake" right up to their last moments. Disinfo can be potent and needs to be tackled and some people don't like having their views questioned - hence we get issues like this on discussion forums.

On a side note, one of my relatives didn't get the vaccine, more out of fear of needles and medicine, but they are quiet about it because they know if they were vocal it could come across differently. Maybe that's the best approach.

Yes well I'm one of the 10. Interesting to see that your relative (an anti vaxxer as defined by people here.). Is not ridiculed and ostracised by your family. I hope you are less militant with your family member than you are with me. Its a shame that they believe that they cannot express their reasons without it coming out differently. Paradoxidically everything you mention I would agree with but I am not a shrinking Violet who will hide their reasons at a risk of offending the majority. So no I dont think it is the best approach.

You could have simply stated you didn't get vaccinated and moved along (as others have without much comment), but you tried to convince those that did get vaccinated that they were wrong in doing so - even foolish for having bought the propeganda. That's where you got the pushback.

you forgot about how clever they are and how much money they have

That's a bit ironic coming from people like you who are on here staunchly defending the holy transubstantiation of the sacred needlecraft.

You succumbed to the needlecraft and very likely regret it, although you can't admit it to yourself. Just move on and try to forget about it.

Warned - Trolling: Please try to be a bit more mature in your replies. Do not use childish phrases to describe vaccinations.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

It was a specific response to the complaint that the poster made about been bullied for his opinions. If someone wants that sort of debate then don't cry when they get debated on it.

Yes the exact opposite also applies. People on here believe anyone who did not take the Covid Vaccine is an unintelligent misguided anti vaxxer who is a burden on society. I have no problem with anyone who took the vaccine and respect their choice. Trying to force your views on someone else though is unacceptable. In your own words

"You tried to convince those that did not get vaccinated that they were wrong in doing so - even foolish for having not bought the propeganda."

• Advertisement

Yes I am wealthy and intelligent. Much as you would prefer that I was on the dole, looking up conspiracy theories on facebook and intellectually deficient like all the other people you believe are, who did not take the drug. That is why i made the point.

Advertisement