Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else feel ashamed of getting the Covid shots?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CorneliusBrown

people will be studying the pandemic for many years but not because of the disease or the pharmaceutical product, but for the amount of gaslighting and low level herd-dynamics.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,915 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Thats him, thanks, couldn't remember his name. But sadly you kinda just proved my point.

Lad on the internet feels qualified to judge a doctor of I dont 35, 40 years, director of Midlands Hospital Group no less, being basically just an 'absolute kook'. And of course our chief covid flute immediately in with a thanks.

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 15,347 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Firstly they told us we wouldn’t get Covid if we took the Vaccine

Sorry what? I don't ever remember being told that…

Vaccines do not prevent you catching the virus that the vaccine is designed to counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

In the first page of 30 comments there was five that even mentioned conspiracies or social media, and only two or three that could reasonably described as vitriolic. Yet those are the ones you focused on, why is that? Why do you describe the vast majority of reasonable, civil answers as hysteria?

Do you honestly not see how disingenuous you are being? Or is that the point, build a strawman of outrage to allow you to rail against the opposition?

It's funny that you compare this to 2020, when it was also clear that there was a cohort of people trying to turn a public health issue into yet another culture war. Using tactics very similar to those in your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,057 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Anybody claiming covid was far less severe than flu in late 2020 did not so on the basis of scientific evidence.

It still would not be true now.

https://fortune.com/2023/12/14/covid-19-v-flu-more-serious-threat-new-study-health-carolyn-barber/

Desperate desperate stuff, reaching for one totally discredited source and ignoring the overwhelming scientific consensus, backed by scientific evidence. "Lads on the internet" feel qualified to judge that the one doctor is somehow right (based on absolutely nothing) and ignore the overwhelming scientific consensus and evidence. Sure.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Frumy

I'll put it this way to ya.

No one regrets not having it. I even know HSE staff were hounded to within a inch of their lifes to get with incessant texts/emails etc with vaccine appointments and some they refused some of them especially HSE staff who work in social care moreso than hospital care. Interestingly the same people say they are now justified in not getting it as her colleagues got it all had effects from it. As they say no one regrets not having it.

Having said that the guinea pigs who took the Astra Zeneca suing them, like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. Your dead ones aren't coming back and good luck getting big pharmaceutical companies to cough up.

Amazingly people think death is 'side effect' nowadays which tells you the incredible power and marketing pharma companies have. Our product may kill you but who we don't care, we know you are still going to take it anyway. The arrogance of these companies beggars belief.

No one regrets not having it? Well, if you're dead from covid you can't regret can you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

No I don't regret it or feel ashamed. You don't always get a vaccine for yourself but to protect others. The lack of take up of the MMR is what is creating problems with the spread of it now. You know the way we don't really hear about smallpox anymore - yeah that was a vaccine at work. The big problem with Covid was the sheer speed of the development of variants & also the fact that it's the first pandemic since mass global travel became a much more common thing. The reason the Spanish Flu spread as wildly as it did was because of mass movement of troops globally after WW1.

I know someone of similar age who was in full health (like seriously probably the best of their life) & got Covid in the first few months. They now struggle with a huge number of things as Covid completely wiped them & has left them with a number of health problems that were not there before. That was the worrying thing with it - that it not only hit the vulnerable but it took out perfectly healthy people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Well you see the actual flu, not what people call the flu these days which is basically everything, the actual flu isnt that much of a joke. It's quite bad and it does kill people, not a just a few either. So when people read the line 'less harmful than the flu' it provokes a knee jerk reaction along the lines he meant the sniffles but it's not quite that simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Fotish

A lot of these studies are bankrolled by the big Pharma companies which have a vested interest and render the results as useful as a chocolate teapot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Startup Moderna "big pharma"? Explain Sanofi failing the efficacy tests, or AstraZeneca withdrawing their vaccine when the startups vaccine was better?

A lot of the usual crowd on here regurgitating the same anti-vax nonsense they flooded the place with (and a few "new" pro trumpy accounts also being unsurprisingly anti vax).

@calimarifritta

indeed and the analogy works doubly because the flu jab has negligible efficacy too, and indeed can be dangerous for older people like myself

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Hysteria is right.

There was someone a couple of pages back claiming you can tell who got the vaccine by them having a grey or green tinge to their skin 😂😂😂😂

These are not the kind of people I want to be listening to when dealing with medical issues.

More medical misinformation and anti vax claims being dumped in without foundation.

The flu jab does not have 'negligible efficacy', it reduces risk of infection and also importantly reduces risk of severe case. There are some years where there are mis-matches versus the strain in circulation for infection protection, but even then, it provides protection against severe outcomes.

Flu vaccines reduced the risk of hospitalization by 37% overall, with the vaccine effectiveness estimates varying by age group and influenza virus A subtype as follows:

• People 18–64 years who were vaccinated were 47% less likely to be hospitalized with flu.
    • People ≥ 65 years who were vaccinated were 28% less likely to be hospitalized with flu.
    • Overall, vaccination reduced the risk of hospitalization caused by influenza A(H3N2) by 29% and against A(H1N1) by 47%.

Flu vaccines also provided significant protection against other severe-flu related outcomes. People who were vaccinated were:

• 41% less likely to experience hypoxemia treated with supplemental oxygen.
    • 65% less likely to have respiratory, cardiovascular, or renal failure treated with acute. organ support.
    • 66% less likely to have respiratory failure treated with invasive mechanical ventilation
    • 69% less likely to be admitted to the ICU.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/spotlights/2023-2024/new-study-vaccine.htm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6208006/

https://www.analesdepediatria.org/en-effectiveness-flu-vaccine-prevent-severe-articulo-S2341287922002320

yes that’s my experience too. None of the people that I know who went without the pharma shot suffered with Covid at all, whilst I know many people who had the shot and had a very bad dose of Covid. Naturally the jabbed who suffered tremendously with Covid all claim the effects would have been worse without the jabs, but you will justify anything not to admit you’ve been dubed won’t you. As I say, I had the shots and regret it. Anyway, it’s all in the past now

Story simply isn't credible. This is just anti vax propaganda dump by way of anecdote.

This is why scientific decisions are not based on anecdotes, but real data, such as ICU admissions. And study after study, studies also by independent governmental organisations, demonstrated the differential outcomes for vaccinated versus unvaccinated in terms of hospital, ICU admissions, mortality.

If it is all in the past now, why are you still posting about it?

Story doesn't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

NO not in the slightest. I would happily take a vaccine again if there was another pandemic and world virus. It's more likely than not the way we are destroying the Worlds ecosystem. Better to be safe and safe around your loved ones instead of you and them dieing horribly from a horrible virus.

As said by other posters OP get off the conspiracy theory sites. Not good for your mental health.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭micar

No……don't regret

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think he was incorrect initially but subsequent strains of Covid are definitely less severe than Flu. I only had Flu once in my 20s and it nearly killed me. I have had Covid twice and the 2nd bout was no worse than a head cold. The first one was not nice. I think it was the Omnicron variant or whatever it was called. One of the initial 2-dose Covid vaccines and a booster shot made me quite ill for 2 days.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The leader of Anti-Vax loons Andrew Wakefield was once a doctor aswell. Doesnt mean everthing he will ever say is gospel. Feely went the loopy edgelord route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Sono

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

you'd hope

but that would require the herd to maybe possess some introspective capabilities

Post edited by lawred2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Fotish

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Being unfit to practice is dangerous for your career.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,268 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Nope.

Still a lot of antivaxxers whining and pissy about something that's in the rear mirror now. Let it go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No. Lies from anti-vaxxers won't change that one iota.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I’m posting about it for same reason anybody posts anything on this site, for the sake of discussion. You’re not a mod are you? Whether you like it or not the rights and wrongs of what happened will be discussed for many years. If you’re not interested in the discussion no one is forcing you to contribute.

I stated my experience simply and truthfully. I don’t know any unjabbed person that suffered more than a mild cold due to Covid but I know several people who got awful doses of Covid despite being jabbed. None of them died thankfully. The only person I know who almost died was one of the small number of people who had an adverse effect from the pharma product. You must be living in a bubble if experiences like mine are unfathomable to you. As I say, I got two shots of the stuff myself.

You can't keep your story straight, and your story simply isn't credible, dressed up as "just asking questions" and "anecdotes".

I asked "Why are you still posting about it" because you wrote: "Anyway, it’s all in the past now".

If it is "all in the past" now, why are you bringing it up?

Now, when your anti vax angle is challenged it is… "If you’re not interested in the discussion no one is forcing you to contribute."

You can't even get your anti vax "just asking questions" angles right.

Either way, it is just a dump of anti vax canards by way of anecdote that have been discredited dozens of times already on the site.

How about and engaging with the many evidential points put to you, such as differential ICU admissions and outcomes, or is dubious anecdote the only 'bubble' you get your information from?

You accept the statistics that demonstrated that the vaccine significantly reduces the risk of severe covid and death? If you ignore this point or go off on a tangent it will be final positive you are presenting a bad faith argument.

This are but some of many many articles and studies which demonstrated this.

The chance that a fully vaccinated person with the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 will be admitted to hospital is 17 times lower than for a non-vaccinated person. The chance of ICU admission for a fully vaccinated person is 33 times lower.

https://www.rivm.nl/en/news/unvaccinated-covid-19-patients-in-hospital-nearly-20-years-younger-than-vaccinated-patients

https://abcnews.go.com/US/vast-majority-icu-patients-covid-19-unvaccinated-abc/story?id=79128401

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2797781

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You've nothing to be ashamed of, you did your community and your family a favour… unlike some who turned in to complete nutcases, blocking travel, blockading villages and towns & threatening to burn holiday homes down. Some happily posted about it here on boards.ie

Just shows you how the sheep run when it comes to a pandemic, you can really see how the nazis had such support.

Advertisement