Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else feel ashamed of getting the Covid shots?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭Shoog

Plenty of anti-vaxxers did in very hysterical terms. I had to lose a lot of friends when their anti-vax hysteria became utterly intolerable.

It certainly opened my eyes as to how vile some people could be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

No, you're misrepresenting me. I wasn't supportive of cosmetic surgery during the pandemic when there was restrictions, in fact I didn't mention them in my post, I'm talking about people blockading, bullying & threatening to burn peoples property when there were no restrictions or lockdowns.

Were you one of these people? Are you one of those people that watches a movie and identifies as a Schindler or Weigl but when it comes to the crunch turns in to a complete nazi and turns on your fellow humans like a little rat in a sewer?

Well that is true. Some anti-vaccine people went crazy.

Post edited by growleaves on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Frumy

If you have read something several times and still miss a full sentence you are in desperate desperate need of an eye test soon pal.

I'm not digging through old threads and news stories.

I recall M Martin specifically saying in 2021 that the 'pass' system was instituted in part to pressure people into 'uptake'. That was prominent and well known national news - and it was only 3 years ago.

You're free to feign ignorance of course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And I'm not taking your unsubstantiated claims as anything more than nonsense. We're done here.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Feets

Just responding to the original. At least you learned something about yourself and the world. I worry for the people who thought nothing of getting the shot , years later when all info is out in the open. At least you learned and that your mindset change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,057 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I worry about the people who think that, in the absence of evidence and in fact in contradiction to all the available evidence. And what other dangerous misinformation they are getting about the world from the same sources.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Social media's literally designed this way. Consume anything mildly toxic and it feeds you a constant diet of hateful nonsense. The companies pretend to be neutral but they've actively promoting this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Great, so you CAN read my posts. Because you've been ignoring me up untilt his point.

In that case, I ask again:

Can you show us where Aztra Zeneca said they were removing the vaccine form the market because they knew it was not effective?

I feel like you've just made this up, but am open to correction.

Thanks,

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I worry that you think everyone who got the vaccine thought nothing of it. Anyone I know gave it serious consideration and even more so when it came to their children getting vaccinated. In the end everyone got at least the initial vaccine.

To assume that they must thought nothing of it because they came up with a different answer to you is disingenuous at best.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I stated, quite clearly I thought, in a minority of cases the reaction to infection might be a bit worse if they got Covid after the vaccine. In a similar fashion to how the immune system can overreact to something that triggers the immune system the second time around, like an allergy. Not that the vaccine acted like an allergy. I was merely trying to give an idea of an equivalent example of how something is worse the second time around. To show that, yes, in a really tiny number of cases, it could be worse than not having the vaccine due to a overly sensitive immune response but in the overwhelming majority, you will be better off with the vaccine. This % varies from vaccine to vaccine, but from all the ones I know of, the statistics heavily favour taking a vaccine at a population level is the better option by a long distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭Shoog

The sad fact is governments know vaccines will kill a certain proportion of those who take them. This is why they agree to wavers for vaccine. Why do they do this ? Because they also know that to not give the vaccine would result in far more deaths.

It seems wrong that perfectly healthy people will inevitably die from taking vaccines - but as a protector of the public's health then this is a necessary consequence of protecting the greater good.

Some people simply can't live with this hard fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

This thread keeps coming up on the front page - so in answer to the OP- no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭techdiver

I am pro vaccine and took the vaccine and booster (early 40's). I also believe the vaccine got us out of the pandemic and save many lives.

But…. there was 100% pressure and social coercion to get the vaccine. If you wanted to partake in any semblance of society (going out for dinner, a pint, travel, etc) you were required to have proof of being vaccinated.

It is revisionism at best or outright dishonesty at worst to claim otherwise. It does not add any credence to the pro vaccine (sensible imo) side to deny what actually happened. You can argue the merits of such a policy, but to deny the obvious policy doesn't hold water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭jackboy

True. This is also a reason why vaccines must always be voluntary. If there is more chance of someone dying by not taking a vaccine that is personal choice. Forcing or even pressurising someone to take a vaccine, that will kill people, even if only a miniscule minority, is highly unethical. That's why vaccine passes are wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭satguy

Yes ,, Big Time ,, 100% will never do it again.

Anne McCloskey is an anti vax troll, jailed for not paying covid fines, subject to fitness to practice hearings.

Credibility negative. S

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus/dr-anne-mccloskey-derry-medic-suspended-as-tribunal-finds-covid-message-vitriolic/a176429000.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

people will inevitably die… that’s an astonishing statement.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

It's also true. If we banned cars, we'd eliminate road deaths but we don't do it because cars have become essential to modern living.

This silly strawman again. Can you quote anyone arguing for mandatory vaccination?

Not at all. It is not just a personal choice.

Not vaccinated you are exposing other people to unnecessary risk. Including staff. And exposing yourself to risk if not vaccinated and in the high risk locations subject to passes.

Unvaccinated people still expected medical staff and beds to be available to them.

That is the ethical basis for the passes. With rights come responsibilities if you want to partake in society.

Vaccination was voluntary.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kevinmcm

Of course not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

. Rochelle Walensky, CD director said and I quote "Vaccinated people, don't carry the virus, uh, don't get sick, and it's not just in the clinical trials but real world data".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭jackboy

No, a forced or pressurised intervention that kills, even if the risk is extremely low is highly unethical. Vaccine passes are such a pressure and a step towards forced vaccinations. Remember at the time the leader of the EU broached mandatory vaccinations. We were much closer to that than people want to admit, vaccines passes were a critical step down that road.

Passes were unnecessary anyway to achieve high Vaccine rates in Ireland.

• Advertisement

She's not anti vac, and being jailed for not paying a covid fine doesn't discredit her expertise or knowledge. Patrick Morrissey stated the same thing, he's not antivax either,.

Advertisement