Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental Health Commune

Options
  • 18-06-2024 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,

I'm 32 and live with Bipolar Disorder. Sometimes I struggle in life and could use support, I know I'm not alone in this because I have plenty of friends who would fit this criterion. Some of us have some strengths, others have others, for instance, I'm good at getting things done! I know completing tasks can be a challenge for some, I can support you with that! I on the other hand am prone to depression and often struggle with suicidal thoughts, not being isolated is good for this and could potentially save my life one day.

I'm just putting out feelers to see if there are other people out there with disabilities who would be interested in setting up basically a commune where a bunch of us could live together and support each other through the tough times, live off the land (as much as possible over time) so there is no pressure to work a 9-5 etc. and live full lives that are suited to our abilities and desires.

Here's what I have in mind,

1. Find an old farmhouse (Or other) with a little land on the cheap (Could find something 6-10 beds for around €150k) in a rural part of Ireland.
    2. Renovate Farmhouse.
    3. Property with outbuildings/sheds for workshops, studios etc.
    4. Cultivate land.
    5. There would be a clear set of rules with a legal contract regarding the handling of money.
    6. There would be common resources and private resources (it's not a cult that wants every penny you have, just expense pooling!)
    7. There would be a suitability screening of some kind (it would be important that we all get along!).
    8. Focus on sustainable practices.

Revenue Sources:

1. Personal loans up to 70k over 10 years.
    2. Savings.
    3. Remote online work (I can refer you ;)).
    4. Cottage and craft enterprises.
    5. DSP payments (Disability allowance)
    6. Government Construction Grants.
    7. Part-time jobs.
    8. Full-time jobs.

Sums:

1. Amount of people: 10 (divide by 10)
    2. House + renovation = €200k/10= 20,000
    3. (Credit Union) Personal Loan : €20,000 over 10 years = €250 p/m
    4. €2500 p/m loan repayments for 10 years total.
    5. €250 rent per month

Thoughts? Anyone interested?

Advertisement