Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build: 3 bed house in bad area vs 2 bed apt in good area?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DonnieCorko

Was the top floor under 500k? I get what you mean about the noise but you dont hear anything with the windows/doors closed. But we were looking at the ground floor one. Top floor may have more noise.

I think a second hand home would appreciate more IMO, so if that is your number one consideration and can afford the 500k without the FHS, I think that would be the better option. Its what I would do anyways. If you do plan on cancelling please let me know as I might try get your place if its under the 500K :-D

The one we wanted was taken so we will keep looking and come back to it when the last part of danehill is released if we still haven't found anything.

Im not sure about those areas you mentioned but alot of the new builds will have 20% social housing soon. I know Danehill has 0% as its going in the next two blocks.

FHS could be handy to reduce your mortgage payment. Could allow you save up to buy a rental/invest etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jc1001

Hi @DonnieCorko Just seeing this - build was 2003 so quality / noise insulation may have been a little lacking. Neighbours upstairs put in wooden floors in contravention of block policy. Also self-closing fire doors banging during the night were an issue, and the odd party going through the block late at night. Pros and cons may vary. I found (unallocated parking in our complex) that the spaces near the main entrance were always taken by the more settled / retired tenants, and the only ones left whenever we returned from work were a good old walk from around the back (at least with bags of shopping), where the fire door couldn't be opened / have a code pad added for some fire regulation reason. I'd still go with a fixed upper / own door over a spanking new apartment but my reasons may be a bit old codgery / not relevant in your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 classynow

Hi @DonnieCorko it's really hard to get a house in Clonburris area, there's a massive demand. On Cairn's side (Seven Mills) I don't think any new houses will go on the market until they finish apartments/retail elements near the train station. I think that was mandated by SDCC. The houses that are currently being built are all reserved/sold.

For the social element, it will be owned by Respond housing. Good amount of it will be cost rentals, they even had applications open for the duplexes. Prices were €1.6k for 2 bed duplex, and €1.8k for 3 bed duplex. If you need more info you can pm.

Advertisement