Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice on getting someone to move the ONT + Phone terminal?

Options
  • 18-06-2024 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I recently moved from Digiweb to Sky and they have sent me just the router and told me to hook it up to the ONT installed by Digiweb. The current position of the ONT means the distance I can place the router is not very far at all and there's no spot to put the router, no shelf or desk.

I asked Sky if they can move it or install a different ONT at a different spot of the house (in front of the door almost) and they said they cannot do it free nor at a cost and told me to go with a private engineer (of which I know none, and the few I've rang up all said they wouldn't want to risk it).

I basically need to move the ONT box (and I believe the smaller phone line box next to it) from the inside of the sitting room wall, to the other side of the wall to the left of the front door, or to the right where you would typically put a plant or small desk.

No engineer around me I ring up seems either trustable or wants to risk the job. Most just tell me to ask the internet provider, which Sky is being insanely abrupt about (telling me to more or less **** off and find someone to do it)

You may be asking why they won't do it, they told me the following reasons:
    - The ONT is not theirs (it's a Huawei one installed when I was with Digiweb)
    - The position of the ONT does not cause the Sky broadband to not work (yet Wifi is extremely slow over it's position)
    - Since the premise already has an ONT they were going to re-use it and therefore the service did not include ONT installation, therefore they completed their service successfully, with the broadband in a working state…

Working state, yes, but with **** WiFi… I'm paying for the Ultrafast Max plan… 1000/100, not pedestrian crap…

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Why not just run a longer ethernet along the skirting board etc to where you want to put the router?

I don't think it would make much difference would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Unclear if there is enough of fibre cable slack to make the "move". Extension might be required - additional point of failure
    The "move" might/will require rerouting of fibre cable inflicting damage to walls/ceiling - additional cost
    Damaging fibre during "move" might render long outage and incur significant cost of repair

Consider
    ONT-to-router connection is over Ethernet - relatively cheap to purchase and replace, relatively flexible to route, distance limited up to 100m - move to your desired location.
    There are better solutions for WiFi distribution rather rely on bog-standard sky router, trying to stretch one AP to cover more then it potentially can and might not deliver "super-duper-max" speed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 justin.exe

So you both recommend just using a longer ethernet cable from the ONT to the router? The problem with that is how would I route that through the sitting room door, then around the front door safely? I feel like that length of cable would affect the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Ethernet is not affected by length (up to 100m) in the same way that traditional phone lines were so running an Ethernet cable from your ONT to somewhere else in the house shouldn't affect your speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

The length of cable won’t be a problem, as mentioned above it will do the full 1Gbps for 100metres (if you use decent cable), that won’t fall off at all until you get over that when at some point it will fall back to 100Mbps. Fibre is great for getting to the home but the vast majority of internal networks are still Ethernet and can handle 10Gbps with the right grade of cable.

What type of wall is between the sitting room and hall? Could you not drill through it? If you get an electrician to do it the hole could be quite small if they just route cable through it and terminate the cable with a RJ45 plug once it’s through. If you wanted to do yourself with pre terminated cables it would require a slightly bigger hole (though you could fill afterwards).

You can get flat or slimline Cat6 cables which are easier to work with and route at top or bottom of skirting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Is your house wired for Ethernet? Any of these in the rooms?

Perhaps you dont need to run any cables, just use existing infrastructure. In some instances, even unused phone lines could be repurposed.

Other than that, running Ethernet is less hazard than fibre and local electrician or handyman would do this for you

Advertisement