Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divorce

Options
  • 18-06-2024 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi looking for a few answers or advice for myself. I was granted a divorce at the beginning of June.

A very complex story from the first day of separation. First of all my ex received a claim after a car accident. It was large and we both put it into long term and short term savings accounts.. We were together for 3 years after the claim.

She then developed an illness as a result of the car accident and gave up work as a factory operator. I developed major mental health problems then.

Back in April 2019 she walked out on me.

Our apartment was co- owned and valued at 270,000€

About 8 months into the separation she contacts me wondering if i would buy her out of the home share ie 135,000€ as she was thinking about buying a house.

When she gave me the money from the claim, i invested it in my own name. As a result i paid her share of the house. The apartment i taught was now mine

Later on i filed for divorce..

I done everything right,answered all questions, provided all my civil documents. 5 months after, there was nothing forthcoming from her or her legal team.Then out of the blue she said she would be contesting the divorce. After numerous emails and meetings with his legal team she finally sends her civil documents. .The delays I still cannot understand.

She accused me of everything under the sun, of having affairs, of hitting her, never been home etc. But best of all she was looking for half the family home now even though i had paid her half the value.

Then her legal team informed me that I was intitled to none of her claim, and if i decided to focus the case now on assets I could not use her new home as one.

I questioned her affidavits because there was now money missing, no proof from her about the other accusations Her monthly pension amounts were not correct..Over the space of 3 months after i sent numerous emails yet again there was no answer from either legal team

At this stage i was getting passed off with my legal team as I felt they were not protecting me

Then out of the blue a court date and a request for me to provide new affidavits. I done as requested and asked for my ex to do the same.There was never an update forthcoming.

Finally the court date arrives, my Barrister is not interested in any questions I have. Tells me to take half the house and sell it.

I spent 40 minutes on the stand and was grilled by just my own Barrister.

The Judge on seeing my ex with two crutches, having help in the court, letting crys of pain out of her stops proceedings and he demands for the sake of this poor woman for our solicitors to come to an agreement

I was advised to go for half and half so I took it.

She has now a new house worth 300,000 plus 135,000 when house is sold..I don't think in this day and age you will buy many places for that money. The only choice I have now is to rent.

I personally think I was hard done by my legal team. Why they never answered my correspondence when I asked them to acknowledge.Going into court without an answer about her affidavits.

I purchased a small house myself before I met her,the proceeds from sale partly used to buy apartment. I retired from work back in 2013 and my payoff paid off the remainder of mortage.None of this was taken into account.

Sorry about this been longwinded but I needed to tell my story just to warn people to keep on top of your solicitor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Thanks for sharing.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dumb Juan

That is a horrible tale and thanks for sharing it.

Advertisement