Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky + reverse cancellation....

• 19-06-2024 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi. My Sky+ stations started disappearing in the past weeks.

Last week I called them and signed up for a Sky Q contract.

Since then got a HD+ box working and missing stations are back.

Called this morning to cancel my SkyQ and revert to my Sky+ contract.

They would not let me, offered to cancel the Sky Q installation next week but not the contract.

Informed me I cannot cancel the contract.

I am will within the 14 days cooling off period.

Read the small print and it does refer to not being able to cancle -

'Please note: • The right above does not apply in the case of a TV service if you asked for it to be made available during the
    cooling off period and Sky asked you to acknowledge that you would lose the right to cancel at that point and you did so.'

Don't remember agreeing to this during the phone call, but I must have.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

That's a very interesting one. You had a sky contract for the SKY HD box and then you switched to the SKY Q one but that is not treated as a new installation, unless its in the email they send out.

You would need to know how much you were paying for the HD contract and when it started. If more than 12 months that can be cancelled with 31 days notice.

You need to get sky to admit the SKY Q is a new contract and not a continuation of the SKY HD one.

And you need to show the 2 prices but if the money is the same you are stuck for 12 months.

And when you say signed did you sign anything or was it just verbal?

Also for SKY Q they send out a new card and have you received it? Could argue its a new contract.

What is the cooling-off period?

Sky Ireland offers a cooling-off period on all of its products as legally required.

• The cooling-off period for Sky Q and Sky+ subscriptions is 14 days.
    • The cooling-off period for Sky Glass and Sky Stream subscriptions is 31 days.

That means you have the right to cancel an order for TV services and any related equipment or content without giving any reason, any time up to 14 (Sky+ and Sky Q) or 31 (Sky Glass/Sky Stream) days from the date that the services were activated (which includes making the terms and conditions available to you in My Sky).

And what a shower, cancel the lot and get a ZGEMMA H7S or better.

Post edited by swoofer on

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Philips2233

Thanks for reply.

They have changed me from 'Variety' package to 'Signature' package.

I didn't sign anything, just verbal. I really can't remember them saying there is no cooling off period….thinking I missed it with all the other stuff being told to me.

They have sent out a new card, received it today.

Thinking I should call them again in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,244 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Call them again in the morning. They are whores. I also tried to cancel recently but then switched to Sky Q. The bastards added on Sky Cinema too which I never agreed too but I got it cancelled. There call service really is atrocious do and so is there customer service. I miss my Sky +HD do. It was just much easier to use and better laid out.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The fact you are getting a new card would suggest a new contract so 14 day cooling off applies. Calls are recorded and you can request a transcript. Sky HD is no longer supplied, I wonder why, but if you have the box sky are not going to look a guft horse in the mouth but in this day and age, you never know.

Sky signature is just a new name for Variety.

As for this bit it has totally lost me

" 'Please note: • The right above does not apply in the case of a TV service if you asked for it to be made available during the cooling off period and Sky asked you to acknowledge that you would lose the right to cancel at that point and you did so.'

Thats gobbledegook. You got back your existing service and just wanted to cancel the new SKY Q contract. You should go through to complaints and say you want to cancel the lot.

But they may have confused the hell out of you.

Are you going to end up paying more? And they will change lnb.

That new card will still work in the old HD box but as you know with SKY Q they take box back.

I did call them.

Very difficult to go back onto the old contract, so I agreed to stay on the new one, and remain with Sky HD service, 1 box.

This was fine with me, everything more or less the same, but 12 month contract, no problem.

He explained they would not be able to support the Sky HD box; I said I understood that and accepted it, (I mentioned if it breaks, I can always upgrade).

He cancelled the Sky Q upgrade, and restored my account to Sky HD, all seemed good.

Then he asked me to test my TV, Sky HD was working fine but then lost service while I was on the line with him.

He said that was because when you sign up to Sky Q, their system cannot revert to Sky HD, but he would technical dept to get it going until Sky Q is installed.

No other alternative, other than cancel Sky and look for a TV service from someone else.

One person in my house household loves Sky, so had no choice but to accept Sky Q.

He was then able to ask the technical dept to restore Sky HD service until Sky Q is installed.

They got the service restored. I asked if it is going now, why can't it stay going. He said the system will keep cancelling it, or words to that effect.

Love to be able to make a complaint to someone, but who. Keeping in mind that is was me who initiated the upgrade because I had faulty hardware, since repaired.

Don't feel good about this at all. Feel it is unfair that their system does not allow you to go back from an upgrade.

Separately, thanks to all you people who took the time to read and reply to me, really appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,268 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Looks like you were told a few porkies which is nothing new for Sky.

I don't know, but my negotiating skills are good enough to deal with them.

Did they ask you to put new card in receiver??

not good enough😀. You are not alone. others have same problem, like say you have MUTV and for some unknown reason it stops you ring and when signed to sky q hey presto it all works.

You were conned and the hardware is not faulty at all or if it is you can get a sky hd box very cheap.

Just to explain, the card you use is authorised over the air ie sky can send a code via the sat feed to either update or cease. When you cancel for instance card may work for a while but eventually it will be de activated.All your man did was send a de activate code and then re activate it it when you agreed to sky q.

They will change lnb when sky q is installed and your hd box will not work. The way round this is to get a hybrid lnb but sky no longer suplly the hybrid one. they cost about 28 euro look at sat city ie.

Think I have to call again, but don't know if I can face them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I feel your pain, Im 4 weeks trying to get service up again, as they added Sky Sports Extra but somehow deleted everything on my account, and managed to permanently disable multiroom.

I had to get new boxes, enter a new contract, create new Sky IDs and my spirit is broken dealing with so many different people and different call centres. I really wish I had an alternative.

• Advertisement

The alternative was to ditch them. You could have cancelled the new contract within the cooling off period or cancelled due to no service for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Yeah but what would I get instead which is as convenient? Im still within cooling off.

In fairness Sky is probably the best available and easy to use but you pay big time for it. However there are a few other cheaper options available depending on what you watch.

Advertisement