Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax burdens for leaving the estate to my family in a will.

Options
  • 19-06-2024 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

If I leave my estate to my wife in the Will, I understand that she will receive this tax free. What I want to know is there implications for her then if she later on leaves it in her will to our children?

Or is it just the same scenario that would exist if I were alive and transferred it to them myself?

I have gone through the calculations, seems the kids would be caught for a fair whack. Is there a way one can utilise a "trust fund" to help out here??

Best Answer

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

There are no implications for your wife, as she will be dead.

The dead can't pay tax.

The children may have to pay CAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Trust funds aren't tax efficient in Ireland, they can be in the USA hence the common reference to them in tv shows and movies

You may need to talk to a tax advisor, if you've looked at the CAT A thresholds available to your children and think they will still have a large liability then they can advise on the best way to plan and allocate assets, setting up a section 72 life policy etc.

Transfers in life and death will generally end up around the same, you will get the €3k annual exemption if gifted in lifetime but not on an inheritance, but stamp duty applies on a transfer during your lifetime but not upon death

Advertisement