Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye examinations on a medical card

Options
  • 19-06-2024 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭

i had a fee eye test a short while back and have been referred to an ophthalmologist as a follow up .

Should I expect this to be free ?(the optometrist charged for part of the eye exam- about 50eu on top)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭amandstu

"I had a free eye test" of course.Seems like OP's are not editable.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,268 ✭✭✭✭zell12

the optometrist charged for part of the eye exam- about 50eu on top

Did you consent to this, were you asked/informed there was a fee for the eye scan? It seems like sharp practice

Optometrist sends a referral request to your GP to see Ophthalmologist, then a waiting list, under GMS

Yes ,I was informed in the notification of the appointment that there were some treatments not covered by the free eye examination.

I had a new weiss ring and so I assumed that that would have accounted for the extra charge.

They gave me an itemised bill at the end.

• Administrators Posts: 14,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Were you referred to an opthalmologist in a public hospital? If so the appointment will be in a public outpatient clinic and will be free. There might be quite a wait though.

Your best option is to contact whoever referred you and ask them where they referred you to.

She asked me if I wanted public or private and I said I had a MC.I also asked if it would be quicker going private and she said "no difference in this case"

From what you are saying ,it sounds to me that it will be free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you are the OP, you need to click on the thread title if you want to edit the title or text of the post which kicked off the thread. I think there's a time limit but I see your second post was only two minutes after the first so you would have been able to edit your first post.

Advertisement