Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi dongle for outdoor cameras

Options
  • 19-06-2024 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I apologise if I am in the wrong forum, if so please move this thread. This technology is all Chinese to me I'm afraid 🙈🙉

I have a cheap MIFI 4Glte dongle. It provides internet when I put my Three bill pay sim into it. But, no internet when I put a Three PAYG sim, or PAYG Lyca sim.

My issue is I have purchased two Reolink WIFI cameras for security on a part of my farm. I am aware there are cameras that take sim cards as I have those also. I am trying to reduce the cost of running multiple cameras by having a wifi source for the wifi specific cameras to connect to.

The location is in a field, there's no power. I hope/intend to power the dongle off a solar charged battery and timer so it's not charging 24/7.

Help would be much appreciated in finding a dongle (if that's the correct term - a mobile router that will live in a box outdoors) that will give me WIFI from the lower cost PAYG sims. I will use a bill sim if necessary (or if I can) but I'd rather avoid it on cost grounds. The cameras with sims in them all work with the PAYG sims.

Thanks

Advertisement