Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fired from job on first week because employer thought I was taking drugs and drinking at work

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP if you were working in an environment where taking even prescription medication could potentially hinder your ability to do you job in a safe manner, you should have probably disclosed that to them at either the interview stage, offer stage or once you started to your manager. They then would have been aware and able to deal with it in a better manner.

In regards people saying about defamation claims - if they other workers brought concerns to the manager, these would be protected under whistleblowing legislation from retaliation. You would have to prove the claims were brought maliciously in order to get the person fired, which is very difficult to do, rather than concerned co-workers. And they don't have to have been concerned about the OP, they can legitimally be concerned about themselves depending on the operating environment of the workplace. If you worked in a warehouse & saw someone who seemed to you to be dizzy or out of it working with you, you'd say something to the boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Babyreignbow

In response to all the other posts. I never suggested what was said was false, don't know how that was surmised but obviously it's not defamation if it's true.

I didn't imply that the third party (employer) was responsible but if they acted on false information then they are neglent in their duty of care.

From what I read the op said he was fired based on the information that was supplied suggesting he was drinking and or taking drugs in work. I understand the employer has an obligation to ensure a safe and healthy work space for all employees but they also have a duty of care to ensure that information is correct.

The op has every right to pursue

A. an apology

or

B. An amendment

or

C.Compensation with respect to loss of earnings.

I would suggest speaking to free legal aid via your local citizens info center, if for no other reason then to make sure that you have your reputation going forward and that your employment prospects not to mention your self esteem and confidence remain intact. A simple conversation with your employer may be all that is required and an acknowlegment of the situation might be helpful for all involved. Best of Luck op.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

From my personal experience with Mirtazapine, it's supposed to be taken at night as it's a sedative. I'd imagine that taking it during the day would have rendered me incapable of work, it definitely knocked me out.

Advertisement