Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015+ Avensis N47 Engine Reliability?

• 19-06-2024 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

We're considering getting a used Avensis of this generation largely due to Toyota's reputation for reliability but was reading that it's the BMW N47 underneath? Just wondering what people's experiences have been with these? I'd imagine Toyota addressed issues of the earlier version of the engine but was wondering if they're more reliable than others in the class now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I have a 2016 Rav4 with that base engine. If you search my posts you'll find the rarest of horror stories about it - which resulted in a new engine under warranty. It was nothing to do with the BMW timing chain issues of the internet. Mine is a very isolated case. There's tons of them on the road, especially Rav4s, and they don't have bad rep for trouble. Like anything, keep them maintained. I'm taking mine to the continent in a couple of weeks and have zero concerns. Look at condition over mileage is my mantra when buying used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭bigroad

I know a few mechanics that have that engine in for big repairs ,so much so that the owners of said vehicles have sold them as scrap or repair.

Stay Away.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭mankteln

Thanks yeah I had a feeling they might not be in the same bracket as the bulletproof old ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

I know a taxi driver with one has been back to the garage a lot ,says his older avensis like I have was much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

No more reliable than the competition.

Personally if I was getting a 2.0 diesel of that vintage I'd go for something with the 2.0tdi 150bhp Engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

We had a 2011 2.0 D4D Avensis that was bulletproof. Sold it in 2021 with about 240k km on it and it was still running well and is still going well for new owner who is local to me. We bought a second one for house (2014 facelift) in 2017. I would have gone newer but research done at time led me to stay away from 2015+ model. There also seemed to be a lot less of them on the road than <2015 model. The 2014 model was very reliable also but didnt seem to be put together as well as the 2011 model we had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I have a 2012 Avensis for 6 years. Just had to do the injectors which was the first major expense. Was thinking of updating to a later Avensis some time back & chatting to a Toyota salesman he warned me to stay away from the BMW engined Avensis.

T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

Advertisement