Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patchy spots on cedar cladding on garden room after varnishing

Options
  • 20-06-2024 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi there,

I recently had a cedar cladded garden room sanded and varnished. The cabin was installed about 3 years ago and at that time was finished with 2 coats of OSMO clear UV oil. I wasn't around for the recent repainting of the room but I did see the decorators sanding back the wood to prep (not sure what grit they used). WhenI arrived back from work after their first coat they mentioned that they were't using OSMO oil but Johnstones clear varnish which would give a similar result. I didn't think too much of it but the finish achieved (see pic below) is awful. There was some discoloration prior to them starting work but only on certain patches of the cedar where water had been dripping (looked a bit whiter than the rest of the board but wasn't horrific) but tbh I can't take my eyes off the large patches……anyone got a suggestion to remedy?

It isnt on all the boards and I kind of know where this will go (involves me resanding and refinish with OSMO) but I wonder if anyone has seen this before on your own projects? The painter did suggest a stain which I didn't want as it would be there forever if they applied it. If I do resand and refinish does anyone have a suggestion on what grit sandpaper to use? I would most probably use the OSMO oil previously applied.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭dathi

if you are talking about the bright ginger marks you could try bleaching them with oxalic acid

Advertisement