Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldier beats a woman unconscious, gets a great reference from his commanding officer, avoids jail.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Babyreignbow

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,422 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Spend more taxpayer money on prison infrastructure and pick a fight with the independent judiciary?

Politicans won't touch this with a bargepole.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭NiceFella

Okay, but would a judge really say that as a reason?? I'm not trying to take away from the disgraceful verdict given here. But given the fact the government have proposed plans, at least on paper to build a new prison (which looks like it has been paused) means we are running at close to capacity. Our population has grown substantially over the last 20 years and yet we've done little in the way to keep up with our needs for justice. I'm making the point that this needs to be put high on the agenda imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,485 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

"You did get away until you tripped"

So I didn't get away....

It's not up to you to tell me anything, but you should be able to defend what you are saying and you can't. Running away isn't always an option and doesn't always work, I am done responding to you tbh you are being entirely disingenuous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,389 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not sure what he'd say, but in this case, he seemed pretty clear as to why no jail….

even patronizing the victim in the process. It was to do with this guilty plea, no previous, and of course, the toerags precious career. Nothing I have read comes remotely close to me thinking "the judge had his hands tied here and had to spare Crotty jail."

And anway, are we to really believe that there was no space available for this man….no space? Nonsense…they bloody should make space for the likes a that man……

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭NiceFella

Fair enough. But, it might be worth noting that if we want to get tough on actual violent criminals, we are going to need more places to put them. Too many suspended sentences being dished out. Which isn't good enough

Yes, but even when we have spaces to put them they are being given soft sentences for serious crimes. Judges seem to have too much discretion at their disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Frumy

You literally asked me what to do then you say it's not up to me to tell you anything?

One post poses a question the next says you aren't interested in the answer so which is it?

Is that in itself not disingenuous to ask a question and have zero interest in the answer whether given or not?

I'm not being disingenuous on anything I'm simply making the point you get away if you can. It's the same point every single martial arts instructor on planet Earth gives. If you can avoid trouble you do. I think every martial arts instructor on planet Earth agreeing with my position defends what I'm saying as it's always a rule in martial arts. Avoid confrontation and physical escalation at all costs as the consequences of engaging could be dire for you or them. For whatever reason this incredibly simple erudite advice causes some here like yourself offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

it is actually up to everyone in society to stand up for what’s right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

I think we all need to call out homophobic attacks

and any other attacks on people.

Would you stand by and see me taunted and shouted at?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I can’t think of a term other than “brave” to describe her. Calling her what some posters have alluded to and saying she shouldn’t have intervened is victim blaming in my book.

Hindsight is a great thing - but this young lady obviously had strong moral convictions that drove her to assist someone in distress.

If we all go around ignoring injustice and crimes and keep our heads down, the criminals will win. And as for this bullshit about every martial arts expert in the world avoiding such situations, absolute poppycock - they’d have sized up this toe-rag quite quickly and summarised that he was nothing they couldn’t handle and would have proceeded just as she did

https://www.thejournal.ie/man-accused-in-phoenix-park-threatening-incident-gay-6417541-Jun2024/

“My client wishes me to mention in open court that he is not someone who is in any way homophobic, and this isn’t some sort of attack on the gay community, Judge.

“I am instructed to say that in open court, that he is anxious, that there is media present,” defence solicitor Wayne Kenny told Judge Kelly.

I wasn't discriminating your honour. I hate everyone equally.

If someone is violently being attacked people of course should help but why do people keep saying over and over with the Natasha story 'attack' there was no gay man being physically attacked it was Cathal shouting slurs. For the 4th time now There is a massive difference in someone being insulted and someone being violently attacked 2 entirely different and separate things and the incident with Natasha wasn't a homophobic attack it was someone shouting homophobic slurs. 2 completely totally different things that people very conveniently are conflating.

I swear some here are absolutely convinced she pulled Cathal off a gay man when he was dancing on his head such is all the talk of this 'attack' she intervened in but it wasn't an 'attack' it was a drunk violent eejit roaring and shouting abuse.

I think people are cornflaking homophobic slurs as a hate crime and the act of calling them out as victim blaming. Its all very confoosing.

Tell me where she “confronted” the toe-rag? By all accounts she “politely” requested that he dissist from his abuse - hardly “confronting” - there was absolutely no way for her to know what was to come- I’d bet his “friends” were also somewhat taken aback by what he did - I can somewhat understand a drunk thug like this dipsh1t taking on a male- but I’d doubt anyone in his group that night imagined he’d hit a girl, no less beat her to a pulp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Togher gave truthful answers to the questions that were put to him. Not sure how people can't get their heads around that one.

Were you in court? Do you know what exact questions were put to him, and how they were phrased? He knew damn well what that woman suffered, and he still chose his "out of character" guff, and I was "disappointed" guff, as if Crotty was up for stealing a fooking apple, and not for battering a young woman unconscious.

Simple: he did Natasha no favors whatsoever. The only positive from him being there opening his mouth was positive for the perp. The best he could muster up was "out of character" and "disappointed." Added to the courteous, professional, polite nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,814 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

and then he was asked his opinion and "the superior said it was, in his opinion, “very out of character” for Crotty". People have a problem with their entire concept of character references for guilty people because the henious act is also their character and therefore cannot be out of character. The commandant did not need to say that. https://www.thejournal.ie/micheal-martin-natasha-obrien-6415861-Jun2024/

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Oxo Moran

It was a passerby intervened. Someone like Crotty wouldn't last long in a group of sound lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Your posts make me think that you expect human beings to act like machines. Maybe you can walk away from verbal insults but you can't expect everyone to act like you, it's normal human nature to react and if someone reacts it's wrong to blame the victim of those insults.

indeed that person who intervened also deserves high praise - although according to some “experts” in this thread, he too should have walked by and did nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Two books for the martial arts expert. Aikido in everyday life by Terry Dobson and Victor Miller and The art of Peace by Morihei Ueshiba, the founder of Akido. The first has lots of diagrams so should be an easy read but it deals specifically with situational conflict iin everyday life. (actions and reactions)

Victim blaming your words not mine. No one even mentioned the 'victim of the insults' as you say which is the gay fella in question who blamed him for anything? Certainly not me! I never even once used the word blame you did. I'm saying when people engage very drunk aggressive people things can and do happen. This is common sense.

Yes I can walk away from verbal insults directed at me I've done it hundreds of times. I've never once engaged as I've being doing martial arts my whole life and can hit/elbow/palm strike/kick very hard when I want to but I don't want to cave someone's head in over a stupid verbal exchange as my humanity wouldn't allow that it's YOU want people acting like machines with people just reacting but never ever ever thinking am I making this worse/am I escalating things badly here/ If I elbow this fella and he drops hard then what? what if he goes unconscious? Does he have a knife?

What you are basically saying is if anyone ever insults you or offends you you engage with them physically? You must be in fights every single day of the week are you as this is what you suggest.

Do yourself a big favour, never ever walk down O'Connell Street in Dublin. You will see drug addicts giving each other dogs abuse verbally but you have to 'react' so you be in fights every five yards. 😉

Must be hard having to get involved physically is it everytime you see verbal abuse? Like I said avoid busy parts of cities there's always people tearing strips off each other verbally.

Your not victim blaming but you're certainly questioning the victims actions which is unfair considering she was doing a good thing.

You can walk away but again your wrong to expect everyone else to do it, verbal insults are not as bad as physical but verbal insults can also be very hurtful.

I don't think he's expecting anyone to walk away. He's advising.

Anyway, pretty much any parent will advise their children when out and about to steer as clear as possible from potential aggro and hostility. If they need to summon help, so be it, or call gardai etc but to steer clear of getting involved unless necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

He could have killed that girl.

One punch is enough to kill someone.

Yet he just walks away free, madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think it's good general advice but holding a victim even partially at fault for the harm that befalls them meets the common definition of victim blaming.

Advertisement