Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldier beats a woman unconscious, gets a great reference from his commanding officer, avoids jail.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Emotion doesnt automatically make it a gender based attack though, any more than if Nigel was in a wheelchair would it make it a disabled based attack or if Nigel was black would it be race based attack.

If you dont think that men have to learn from an early age to exercise caution and weigh up interactions with other men then you are horribly misinformed.

Its a pity you chose to put both paragraphs in the 1 post as now I cant thank the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,434 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I’m not saying emotions make it a gender-based attack. I’m saying it stirs more emotions, revulsion, outrage when a man beats a woman.

There’s that automatic feeling that “she had no chance.” That women, being smaller and physically weaker have very little defence/chance. It just resonates differently.

I am repulsed and feel anger when I hear anyone has suffered a violent assault. It really is an awful thing to happen to a person.

Sorry, to clarify, I do not mean that you are saying that, but others, namely volchista are.

The fact that it was a woman makes it a gender based attack, despite any evidence to support it.

• Advertisement

By that same logic, him serving a suspended sentence is following the rules of our justice system.

You cant have it both ways!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Crotty was a scumbag and should have got jail.

Kyle Hayes did the same thing to someone but why weren't there any protests over that ?

I get ya. Only Crotty really knows. Something made him snap and do what he did. Maybe to him it was just a person he was “seeing.” A person that irritated him (in his mind), which caused him to launch his assault.

Becsuse it’s a real outlier. Beating a woman you don’t know. It rarely happens. Far more prevalent with male on male “stranger” assaults. It will obviously stir emotions and outrage more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Should the outrage not be the same though?

Prime Time did a piece last week on men being killed by a punch to the head by a stranger on the street yet there wasn't a peep from any politician or the print media in the following days about it.

Crotty is a dirtbag and deserves all the heat he is getting but it doesn't sit well with me that its seen as less serious if the victim is male.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

" Gender based violence" is an ideological term - NGO speak

Anyone heard using it is not to be trusted as being without an agenda to push

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

It would be having it both ways if I implied the sentence was in some way illegal.I never claimed it was. Appeal allows the sentence to be changed. It's a highly controversial ruling and and there's no laws against discussing such a ruling. So if it does end up appealed and he ends up doing jail time, that doesn't make him a victim. It just means a violent offender goes to jail for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

My God she was brilliant on Primetime this evening - she just gets better and more articulate each time she’s interviewed.

[Mod Snip]

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Babyreignbow

Shes traumatised. I don't think it's healthy for her to be fronting a campaign atm, she's carrying it all by herself and I think it's way to much for her. In her victim impact statement she described how she dissociated as a result of the attack and I think she knows herself the impact this is having on her and I wish someone would just help her right now.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

i was thinking to myself what if this soldier was on a tour of duty abroad and beat up a woman there leaving her unconscious…. what punishment would be metered out?????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Whilst the Dail stood up for Natasha, a FG senator John McGahon was up in court for alleged assault and battery. How can Harris say he is appalled about what happened to Natasha and yet he has done nothing about one of his party who previously stuck a Twix up the arse of someone who had fallen asleep. Surely the court case listed below is the final straw and he should be removed from FG and removed as a senator. FG not a normal party.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Whst happened to Natasha O Brien was horrendous. Her attacker should have received a much more severe sentence. However, for the Taoiseach to all but call for the DPP to intervene and for the Dail to give the victim a standing ovation is a dangerous precedent.
    Victims not receiving justice is not a new phenomenon. Why has this case received such prominence and unprecedented political comment?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Or Christina Anderson. She will be out in 4 years for stabbing a man to death for parking in the wrong place.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Timing really. It came on the back of a week of reports and legislation aimed to deal with these issues specifically and then gave way for the tribunal into the DF to proceed. A watershed moment where all these events coalesced and became a defining point.

(also, Uranus just entered Taurus 😉)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,150 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@Glenfieldman threadbanned

• Advertisement

Am not a doctor but this.

Causes of Dissociation
    Trauma. You may psychologically disconnect from the present moment if something really bad happens to you. This is called peritraumatic dissociation. Experts believe this is a technique your mind uses to protect you from the full impact of the upsetting experience you had.

It's hard to describe but it is like being on drugs, without the drugs. It's automatic so you have no contol over it. It also affects your ability to communicate effectively or speak coherently and it can last for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Downlinz

She was the victim of a life threatening assault and was told by a judge with full evidence and admission of guilt that "boys will be boys" with essentially no consequence for the assailant.

I think it's a miracle she can gather her thoughts to say anything. I think I would say nothing and buy a ticket to some other country as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Because victims not receiving justice is not a new phenomenon. This is the straw that breaks the camel's back, and crystallises the issue, demonstrating everything that has been wrong, from the judge's conduct, to the 'character reference' from a person in a position of authority.

Many people after receiving such disgraceful conduct from the authorities would shy away, inflicting more trauma.

But here we have someone willing to come forward, as a champion, and a lightning rod for the concerns that people have been expressing for a long time about this issue and sentencing. We have seen her suffer foul abuse here and online also.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I think the inconvenient truth for the government is that they don’t have plans in place for a new prison and they know they need one.
    While the initial outrage has been focused on the judge, I think it will quickly turn to the government of the day.

We can explore what’s possible in terms of judges improving their sentencing approach but if they know the prison system is under strain, there’s more likelihood of suspended sentences overall. Thats obvious at this stage.

I imagine the quickest solution to free up space in prisons is to build low security units and house non violent offenders or those nearing the end of their sentences who are low risk of walking out - home tagging is probably another option but no matter what the option, it will all take time and money to implement.

I haven’t seen any “foul” abuse of the victim on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That's because thankfully such posts tend to have a short lifespan on boards.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

There's been a few nasty remarks here but from what I can see on Twitter, there's outsight conspiracy theories being built about her. This place is largely fine on her.

Wow-didn’t know that- TG I stay away from that cesspit

I see. Yes I have seen some SM posts/thoughts on her alright, relating to her being so public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I agree. It’s lip service to placate the mob and comparable to the aftermath of the Ashling Murphy killing. I too agree this attack should have see a custodial sentence, but it’s quite concerning how many people seem unaware of the influence the media reporting has had here again.

Advertisement