Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a refund on a RyanAir flight with a Dr's cert?

Options
  • 20-06-2024 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

Apparently this doesn't happen frequently.

Any experiences?

If one submits an "unfit to travel" note from a Dr, would Ryanair give credit/refund on a flight booking?

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They didn't give it to me when my travelling companion had a cardiac issue. She had a doctor's note and a letter from the hospital she was in, advising her not to travel in the next month or so.

It was a really quick response and just a straight no, no system of appealing, so presumably some gonk who knows better than doctors or hospitals makes the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Just to clarify, you were travelling with a companion who was unfit to proceed?

Did she get a refund or credit?

But they didn't give it to you? (presumably you weren't going to travel without your companion)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭animalinside

Which Ryanair are we talking about here? I always thought there was only one but apparently not.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

it would be an administrative and logistical nightmare for them….I don’t like or agree with necessarily every aspect of their operation but there would be no easy way of them doing it fairly, there would be too many piss takers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Even with Aer Lingus you have to go for the more expensive ticket categories for that, with Ryanair not a hope. Travel insurance is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Tippbhoy1

Im not sure is this a pisstake but the answer is no, this is what travel insurance is for.

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

Title of the thread should have been:

"How badly does it suck when you're forced to cancel travel arrangements and stand to lose all the booking fees".

For an internal flight at least I could have given the booking to someone else who could travel under my name.

But international = passport required, a replacement means transfer fees.

Who's good to take out travel insurance with?

Company name?

Would one week out be considered an acceptable time frame to get travel insurance?

And does travel insurance cover inability to travel due to the emergence of an unforeseen health circumstance, with a Dr letter?

They all seem to have an "excess" as well, which kind of defeats the purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, it wouldn't have worked for an internal flight either.

This is why you get travel insurance (in advance). Check to see if you have it with your credit card, health insurer or employer - rare but is sometimes included with these.

Well the flight is one week away.

I'm guessing it's too late to take out travel insurance at this point?

(again, anyone recommend a good travel insurer?)

Do health insurers cover flight costs in cases of unforeseen medical issues preventing travel?

I know my plan covers medical issues that occur abroad though.

Place called "insure and go" in Galway, who will cover me for……….. 6 euro!!

lol

They got absolutely wrecked on google reviews, but good reviews on trust pilot.

Any experiences with them?

Other names being AIG, AVIVA, Allianz, AA, An Post,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭beachhead

I thought insureandgo pulled out of Ireland a few years ago.Cornhill Insurance and Multitrip.com used to be cheap.

You have time to take out insurance before travel commences.Unforseen medical events are covered if genuine.

Well, it was unforeseen for sure, which is why I have to withdraw from the flight.

But at the time of taking insurance (next few days, before the departure date), it's seen.

Of course I'm unlikely to disclose that.

No biggie, right?

According to Multitrip:

You will not be covered for claims arising
    within 7 days of the date you purchased
    this insurance or the time of booking any
    Trip (whichever is later) under Section S
    (Travel Disruption)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

You're buying travel insurance to put in a claim for something that occurred before you insured yourself? That's fraud.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I received a full refund for a trip I booked with Ryanair when I was diagnosed with cancer. I remember they were really efficient and refunded me within a week. I had a letter from a consultant and was an in-patient for my treatment at the time. It was during covid so maybe they were more flexible with refunds. I didn't have insurance.

I had the return trip booked with Aer Lingus who were much slower to respond and only gave me vouchers at the time but I was pleased enough with those too.

Happy to say I booked a trip to Spain for September with Ryanair this week and have had no difficulties when travelling with them so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

This thread is a complete p1ss-take IMO. Nobody could be really this naive about travel & Ryanair and travel insurance. As a person having had some major health issues, but who loooves travel, I have simply stood at a loss for some trips, que sera. It’s not Ryanair’s fault I get a bad episode of MS, and I’m not claiming from Insurance every flight missed if it’s in relation to that, I just take it that occasionally I will be at a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Insurance company wouldn’t cover that, they are not stupid. They know what some people are like and their doctors understand the nature of development and evolution of an illness and will seek to ensure it is a kosher claim.

• Advertisement

Alternate being I could pay for 45 euro fee and re-route the flight to a different destination.

Thing with Ryanair seems to be however, they only exchange one way flights for one way flights.

The original flight was two one-ways, back and forth. Of course I'd like to book a round trip now, but changing the original booking would mean paying the 45 euro transfer fee twice for the two flights.

I can't just use one of them against the cost of a round trip?

That sucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭fabvinny

Happened us at the end of last year. We had flights booked to Lanzarote for December. My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in late October. Got on to Ryanair,and had to submit a letter from My wife's Doctor and got the refund back into my Ryanair wallet and its valid for 18 months.

To use the refund you have to book with the same passengers as the original booking. Thankfully,my wife got the all clear a month ago and we have booked flights for September and no issue using the funds from the Ryanair wallet on the app.

Advertisement