Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does a deceased person whom lied to their family on a daily basis have the right 2 defend themselves

Options
  • 20-06-2024 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Does a deceased person whom told lies daily mostly to their family but their lies also aided in instances that has had consequences for others including putting a man in prison plus a motorist has had a large motor Insurance claim against (€14,000 was paid out personally to this person, they claimed they were injured but told me and I witnessed them telling two other people that the injury was an old injury) them as a direct result of this persons lies. How I know personally is because I unfortunately was in this persons company on a bit of a frequently occasion not by my choice but by being put under pressure and being fobbed off sob stories. This same person purposely enticed people whom were drug free back onto drugs for the simple reason so they'd end up wanting to buy more drugs and share them. The reason why I know this is because they told me themselves plus I know two people whom they did it to. This person also had my neighbor's house windows smashed any many more people's windows smashed. They also stole goods to the value of €1000 from myself, which I was told before the person died, unfortunately I didn't get to confront them. This person wasn't like a normal person that you could confront them and get a reasonable explanation and a apology plus I'll pay you back no, Instead you'd be threatened for even asking them did they steal the goods.

PS - I would like to point out that I'm not a drug user, I don't smoke anything including Tobacco. Perhaps the bit about getting other people purposeless on drugs is common among drug users I personally don't know and I know obviously most drug users lie to their families and loved ones. But my point and question is you'd hear the saying not to talk about a person who's died and can't defend themselves but does a viciously capable individual that this person was fall into this category?

NB - If this person was given the change to explain themselves, I personally know they'd lie further and the- n I'd have my windows

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

How can a deceased person defend themself?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Not sure what you're really asking here. The adage of not speaking ill of the dead is just that, an adage. By definition a dead person cannot defend themselves. Likewise a dead person cannot be defamed under the law. Can you call them out to others for what you believe they were? Of course you can. To what end, I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

They're deceased?

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 33 tina4t

My point is if the truth is being told about a person they being dead or alive they shouldn't need to defend themselves as the truth is the truth. But depending on the situation they might have a legitimate reason for lying but when a person constantly lied and lied to cover more lies. In this instant why would a person think the deceased person needs to defend themselves when it's more lies is all that they'd come out with

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

What are you trying to say? How can a deceased person possibly defend themselves or tell more lies? A living person can, of course, defend themselves any way they feel fit: lies or no lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Say what you like about them but be aware that other people who are still alive might think worse of you for so doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Are you debating starting an argument with a ouija board?

You can, clearly, tell people what you want. If you're not improving their situation you should probably let it go and let them move on with their lives, but that's up to you.

Do you think it might help to talk to someone about it? Don't mean to be crass or simplistic but obviously they affected you greatly in life and now that they are deceased continue to have an impact on your life. I get it.

dead people are the worst to have arguments with btw

• Registered Users Posts: 33 tina4t

My response to the author of this post would be… A deceased person dosnt need to defend themselves if it's all true in what the author is saying. Why would they need or want to defend themselves if nothing is being fabricated in any way.

If you know it's true then you don't need to convince anybody else and if someone else wants to defend them then maybe they have their own reasons. I don't think it matters to the dead person though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Usually, in Ireland anyway, the saying is you shouldnt speak ill of the dead because they've no ability to defend themselves. I think that's what you're getting at OP.

I don't believe in it. Whether they're alive or dead, they did what they did. However it's probably better to exercise a bit of tact when speaking to other bereaved parties who aren't ready to look at their loved one in a negative light.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Folks, this is the Bereavement Forum, if you've nothing constructive to offer the OP please move on to another thread and leave the one liner jokes for a more appropriate forum.

Thanks

HS

Advertisement