Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a classic caravan from UK

Options
  • 20-06-2024 9:46pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

I know there has been a lot said about importing caravans, but the threads are very old. I've recently bought a 1991 caravan and am going to collect it in a few weeks. My plan was to go Scotland - Belfast - home, but it would save about 8 hours of driving if I could go Holyhead - Dublin.

Does any know what the story is with being caught for VAT? I can't imagine they'd see much value in my 33 year old beaut. I'd almost prefer to pay whatever VAT they decide rather than do the long drive, but I'm afraid they'd come up with some mad valuation. And I don't even know how I would go about declaring. Is it like the airport where they ask certain people to stop and search them?!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Itineoman

You’re going to get all sorts of advice here but I seriously doubt anyone is going to bother you going on or off the ferry in Holyhead or Dublin unless it’s filled with contraband. Particularly for 33 year old caravan. Technically you should pay VAT I know. There’s no paperwork for a caravan so who is to say that you’re not returning from your annual camping trip to Tenby? If it was me I’d just hitch it to the car and drive on. You could do the Cairnryan/Larne thing if you were anxious and nobody will even ask you for ID getting on or off the boat. But depending on where you’re travelling from will probably cost more in fuel than any taxes you’d pay. And that ferry isn’t cheap. Just my 2c. I expect others will have different opinions on it.

Post edited by Itineoman on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Thanks. I've booked the day time Liverpool - Belfast one. It's very close to the dealership I'm buying it from so less time travelling on unfamiliar roads in the UK and a straight motorway home when I'm home.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Itineoman

Happy days so. Post a picture of it when you are home.

Advertisement