Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restricted Herd

Options
  • 21-06-2024 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

I was just wondering how soon do the Department notify you if your herd is restricted due to a neighboring farm after going down with TB? Where on AG Food will it say the herd is restricted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

It took them about a fortnight with me earlier this month. You can check movement eligibility on agfood

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

We got a letter earlier on this year when our neighbour went down. Had sold a bull between the time the letter was sent and it was received. Got a phone call from the DVO when the movement was done on Agfood but they allowed it anyway. Could see no version of the restriction letter on Agfood either at the time.

There is some kind of dis-connect between the DVO system and Agfood anyway. I was speaking to them a few months back for my fathers herd and they could give me no information as I wasn't a registered correspondent on his behalf on their system. Am a registered correspondent on the DAFM Agfood system and have no bother ever with them. They sent him out a different form for their records and it's fine now. God forbid they would all be using the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Danny healy ray

you get a text messages from department to say your herd is lock up from now if there us a bad out break near by and you haven't do a tb test in a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Last time it was a phonecall from the dept before the letter. Was a bit of an outbreak with neighbours and I had to test. I had 2 reactors on a Thursday and neighbours had phonecalls from the Dept on Friday morning locking them up pending a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭grass10

I think lads get confused between locked up and getting a letter saying a neighbour has tb, your herd is only restricted if you have tb or animals that left your herd showed up with tb afterwards your herd is not restricted because a neighbour has tb you may have to do extra testing but you are not restricted

• Advertisement

We were told we could not sell anything else until we had a passed TB test even though all animals had been tested 9 months beforehand. I would consider that a restriction especially this spring with fodder shortages etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

You can be restricted due a neighbours having a tb breakdown until you have a clear test. It happened me 2 years ago and I only had the annual herd test 3 months before.

Every breakdown is different and if there is a potential problem with wildlife in an area or due to movements they will go mad testing and locking up pending tests

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭grass10

Their had to be some other reason beyond your neighbour having a reactor, with the last 2/3 years everyone adjoining me has had tb some many different occasions at no time have I ever been restricted I have been under 4 month testing the whole time have a large stockpile of dept letters telling me about my x or Mr y being either restricted or de restricted and have got letters about farmers that are a couple of miles away with no land near me telling me that they are restricted but the dept cannot restricted you because of a neighbour its usually because you are gone beyond your test time or an animal you sold subsequently showed up with tb

There was no other reason on our side anyway. We are classed C10(0) and have been since the system came in. Animals were 3 months in test as our herd test was always done in July to suit school holidays. April this year we got the notification. If it was gone beyond the test time then the bull I sold would have been flagged on Agfood as being ineligible for movement anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We are also C10 (0) and our annual herd test was always in May. Two years ago two neighbours that have land on both sides of us went down with TB and we were told that we couldn't sell until we passed a clear test. We had to do another full herd test in September which I was really worried about but thankfully we passed. We were due another test the following January as we were put on a four month testing cycle. The other two herds came clear in the meantime so we didn't have to test that January.

• Advertisement
Advertisement