Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elderly father unpaid electric bill shock

Options
  • 21-06-2024 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

We discovered recently that my elderly father has racked up nearly 2000 euro in electricity bills! He’s only living in the living room and kitchen of his house due to mobility issues so it’s hard to believe honestly

He lives alone but does get confused and is not good on the phone. He was originally on pay as you go but was occasionally running out and he’d be sitting in the dark - so at some point it was changed to direct debit setup. We thought this was taking care of the electricity bills as they came in. Obviously at some point the bills exceeded what he has in his account. And presumably snowballed from there. We are now quite stressed out as he’s never going to have enough pension coming in to catch up.

On the phone Electric Ireland suggested putting my name on the bill but we’re a bit worried about doing that as it could go against our credit and we’d be stuck with a massive bill (as if our own aren’t currently enough 😭)

My question is will they cut him off? Some people have said we’re better to just leave it with him and not take on his burden, that as a pensioner he’s protected - What are the repercussions of just leaving it with him?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Try engage with them on his behalf they may arrange a payment plan to cover the arrears and cover future bills by paying a monthly amount.

You have some hope engaging with them otherwise there is a chance of disconnection at some point I don’t know but I doubt they will let the bill increase indefinitely

Could you get a loan and maybe use portion of his pension to pay this to clear the arrears and going forward monitor the bills direct debits etc

Contact MABS they might be able to offer advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭JVince

Putting your name as a person who can manage the bill / calls will not affect any credit. Its purely a name on the account and not an account in your name.

This should have been done a long time ago.

Check if the reading is correct - it might have been over estimated. Then get a discounted rate - even current customers can get 24% with a phone call.

They will also agree a payment plan. They are quite easy to deal with. Also check all the electrical items in the house. Make sure all bulbs are LED (tiny electrical cost), manage use of any electrical heaters and see if things can be insulated better

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Look at Code for Vulnerable Customers, could be some assistance

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

'Putting your name on the bill' vrs being a person they are allowed to speak to in relation to the account are different things. Don't put your name on the bill. That sounds like you'd be taking over responsibility. They are obviously talking to you. Can you set it up online so you can easily keep track?

Are you sure the bills are correct? How far back are the arrears? Can you get copies of all the bills?

I don't know if they can cut him off, would the citizens advice be any good I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 beghushed1976

thank you for your replies they are very much appreciated

electric Ireland have said they can create a weekly payment plan of up to 12 weeks. Which is understandable but also way beyond his capacity to pay. Maybe the first payment would go through but he’d never be able to keep up at that pace

Not quite sure what to do but maybe Mabs or citizens advice could help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭babyducklings1

That’s a steep amount for a pensioner over 12 weeks. What about contacting MABS or energy regulator and citizens advice is a good idea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

• Registered Users Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Electric Ireland are a disaster, had a similar problem but once sorted I'm going to switch provider for my mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

maybe contact st Vicente de Paul and explain the situation.they may be able too help

They are slow to cut people off though compared to other providers or at least were historically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,609 ✭✭✭volchitsa

If he's living in two rooms, it's hard to see how he's really racked up such a massive bill. Pay as you go is far more expensive, yet clearly it was nothing like that amount or the OP wouldn't be so shocked by it.

Now maybe it's been from the "confusion" that was mentioned, but that sounds like he might be doing something dangerous. Either way, it's not something to be "sorted" by just getting a loan as though the problem were just that he temproarily overspent.

I think CAB or even social services might be a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

Poor fella. Is he in receipt of living alone allowance? He would definitely be entitled to fuel allowance and I'm sure there's an electricity supplement for oap's too that he should be benefitting from. SVDP might be able to help out in some small part and maybe social welfare can assist with a special needs payment. It does sound like a very high bill with estimates rather than actual bills, even with the governemtn credits over the last two years, living in small accomodation it shouldn't be so excessive.

Maybe time to assess his means and adjust accordingly, what kind of heating/water system does he use and lighting and cooking facitilies could all be upgraded too.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

I'd still check the meter reading. I live in a large rural house and the monthly bill is €100-€150 depending on time of year.

Check the unit rate too.

Considering he would have got the energy credit, this level of arrears is not making sense.

Maybe family members can use credit cards or make a regular contribution to clear the outstanding amount.

If usage was estimated, you will find it is overestimated.

Yeah definitely need to find out what used the electric, perhaps left on immersions maybe electric heaters.. depends on how long the 2k is over. With government credits and fuel allowance? Hard to understand it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,803 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It’s important to find out how this actually arose and make sure there is no major problem with the meter and that the large bill is accurately correct. €2000 could be a few years use for an elderly person.

I think you should suggest to them that he repay it over 208 weeks. If they don’t accept that bring it to the regulator. I think they will give you at least 104 weeks.

I would suggest he start paying an extra 10 euros per week right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Toranaga

Even at the highest tariff I'd say it would be over a year's bill so very strange. Would look into it first. Unless he's just not paid for a significant time something sounds off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

OP, how long have the bills gone unpaid? We run a 3 bed house with an electric car and it would take over a year to run a bill of that size up. Considering the government were paying money into people's electricity accounts over the last year, 2k seems very high. Can you get historical bills from EI to review them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

ESB haven't been read my meter regularly in a long time. How many bills are estimated v read? Might be worth checking the meter regularly from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Is he entitled to the Household Benefits Package? His energy allowance can go as credits towards his electricity bill.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭standardg60

Post edited by standardg60 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭babyducklings1

Would a pensioner be able to take out a loan though wouldn’t have thought so. They could do a longer spread on payments for him you’d think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Exceptional needs payment might be a rote to go. I'd also be contacting Electric Ireland for a complete breakdown of charges..are there arrears resulting from non payment? Might also be an idea to contact 'Alone'.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mykrodot

if he is over 70 he is entitled to the Household Benefits Package. It is not means tested and helps with the cost of your electricity or gas bills. https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social-welfare/extra-social-welfare-benefits/household-benefits-package/

If he goes to MABS they can arrange a payment plan THAT HE CAN AFFORD with Electric Ireland. MABS will take everything into account and act as an advocate for your father.

Electric Ireland are dealing with MABS hundreds of times a week if not a day and this is the route to go. I used to work for MABS and this scenario was common place especially with older people. Also he can be registered as a "vulnerable person" if he has any medical needs and will therefore never be disconnected. https://www.electricireland.ie/docs/roi-residential-footer---customers-with-special-needs/2615_ei_vulnerable_cust_reg_form_a4_cofovc0518_v5.pdf?sfvrsn=9e47be0d_22

• Registered Users Posts: 3 beghushed1976

thank you for the advice. It looks like it’s been over the past 16 or so months that it has accumulated. Still seems high (there are bills of over 600 euro even in the summer) so we are going to get a plug that we can check usage of the various things he uses. (Pretty much just one tv, a radio that is always on, and a small electric heater. The electric heater being the most likely, though has oil heating so it’s not like he’s relying on it. Maybe he’s leaving it on overnight or something?)

Mabs arranging a longer for payment plan seems like by the best option, I didn’t realise they would advocate on his behalf. I’ll call them and see what they say

thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

If I was you I would take over the utility payments. I would open a new account with a new provider and a new name on the account - as if I was a new tenant.

The previous provider will still come after the father for arrears but this can be repaid at tuppence a week. No chance of any disconnection happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

I would go through those bills with a fine tooth comb plus check the items he is using to see how much they cost. Look at immersion, any storage heating? Old freezers can be heavy on electricity if there is one, old radios surprisingly so too! But it's still high usage.

I say this as helped a couple last year with an overcharge of nearly 900e with EI, turns out it was some error with meter, EI eventually refunded the money but it took some battle!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If he has a 2000 watt electric heater on 24/7 then thats could be costing 15 euros day in electricity.

900 in a 2 month bill just for that heater in a worst case scenario.

He probably turns it off going to bed, but it could still be on for 10 to 15 hours a day

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I disagree. You can become an authorised contact who they can speak to. No more of the gdpr issues.

I have done this with an elderly lady who is not good at negotiation . It is not about debt, but I do the switcher deals and negotiate deals for her. She's in her 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Thats an option but I think it's silly. The op needs to engage with them (with permission) and come to an arrangement.

If it's electric Ireland, they are a ripoff. I just moved an 80 year old away from them who was payin 32 plus vat per unit. I challenged them on the phone and they offered 29c plut 50 quid cashback. I scoffed. I just moved her to flogas certa electric deal as featured in boards bargain alerts, 23 per unit inclusive. Her bill has dropped 33%

• Advertisement

I doubt it was a 33% drop in same use. Flogas have a higher standing charge.

A few clicks on bonkers and you would get 24% off electric Ireland rates and benefit from standard rate reductions that will happen.

But the certa/flogas deal is not too bad.

Frankly the excessive standard rates charged to enable large discounts should be banned.

Still the op here has not confirmed if the bill was estimated. €600 in the summer months is ridiculous.

Advertisement