Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still aiming to do a masters in Physics at some stage, but I am trying to come up with a gameplan.

Options
  • 21-06-2024 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

So, I already have a level 7 degree from TUD and got a Merit One, followed up by a 2.2 in the level 8. Both were in Physics (Industrial & Environmental Physics and Physics Technology). I did make a recent post, but those were before my results as I was facing extenuating circumstances that have affected my results, but at this point, I am just accepting what I have now.

In terms of physics jobs, I did a 7 month internship abroad in this nanotech company, and well before I even went to college, I did a 1 year apprenticeship as a lift engineer before going to college. Long story short, didn't enjoy it and left it to pursue physics. In the long term, I am hoping to do a PhD in the field of Quantum, Photonics or Computational Physics. I have seen a load of interesting one's that were down my alley, but I don't have the requirements.

So my question is this: what do the master applications mean by "special cases", such as UCD? Is that just basically if you have a 2.2 but have some more experience in the field, they may consider giving you a place? And out of curiosity, for anyone in my predicament, how did you get into the masters? How many years did you work?

Advertisement