Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rationel, NorDan or Munster Joinery

Options
  • 21-06-2024 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

I'm looking to get aluclad windows and lift and slide doors and considering either Rationel, NorDan or MJ. Can anyone recommend any of the above or give any feedback? Recommendations by PM please. Thanks!

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭andyd12

Consider Internorm too

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭munsterfan2

Have Nordan installed, nice windows. One thing to note is they outsource their installation so if there is a size problem at install time the fitters will generally fit anyway as they dont get paid if they dont install. We had an issue with the size of the door openings ( builder f'd up ) and the sliders were fitted anyway with a 6 inch gap at top. We had to pay to have them taken back out again, opening fixed ( wrongly as builder didnt know what he was doing ) and pay for them to be put back in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TomeeTipee

Internorm products look great, but found them expensive compared to the others!

Thanks for the information. Did you order the windows/doors before the builder had actually built the openings? We are planning to get the openings built first and then measured and ordered by whichever company we go with. I'm hoping that will prevent similar issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭munsterfan2

Builder & Nordan rep measured the openings together, but when the sizes were wrong each blamed the other. My advice would be to have them write all the sizes out and both counter sign the page so you have the proof.

What I think happened now is that the someone ( presumably the part l consultant / engineer ) made allowances for insulated door threshold ( e.g. https://www.prodomo.ie/thermal-supports/ ) but neither the builder nor the window installers understood what was missing when the doors were being fitted. Under the smaller doors they used timber to raise them but for the larger sliders they used concrete ( after taking the sliding door out and building up the door threshold ). We now have a big strip of cold floor / thermal bridge under the sliding doors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Tabby McTat

We recently had Nordan windows and doors installed. Really happy with the quality and look of them but delivery time was way longer than promised - 12 weeks vs 6 weeks. Also we were waiting 3 months for aluminium cills from them.

That's disappointing to hear! I think Munster seem to do quite well with their delivery times. 12 weeks when you are expecting 6 is a long wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Yeah it was really frustrating. As it happened we had delays with other things at the same time so it didn’t hold up our build overall. Definitely take any delivery time quoted with a pinch of salt.

Advertisement