Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Porotherm blocks

• 22-06-2024 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Has anyone used Porotherm single skin clay blocks recently? Any pros and cons. Looking at using instead of traditional concrete block

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What overall system are you proposing.

Are you proposing a double wall with porotherm on inner?

I believe they can be rated at 10N but.personally I wouldn't rate them as system for use here.

The vertical joints appear to have no joint material with only a loose interlocking design.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ledbytheblind

Either their 365mm insulated block or 425mm uninsulated block. Both single leaf with no cavity and likely a lime plaster to maintain breathability. Would keep standard concrete block for the deadwork below ground.

Structurally they can do multi story so less concerned on that front and more looking for feedback on the thermal and acoustic performance in practice. It seems like a simple system with a lot of test data but very little uptake over here.

Have you had much experience with the system/been into finished houses that have used it? And what would put you off the system?

I have heard good things about general comfort levels inside the houses but with so many variables in building it is hard to know how much can be contributed to the wall buildup alone without taking ventilation/air tightness and general detailing into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I've no experience with that system but I personally don't see how you would suitably weather such a system in our climate.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

first check if house insurance is possible with this system

Advertisement